1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Arians Retires

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frick32, Jan 20, 2012.

1. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    there's a good strategy. hire an OC that is wildly unpopular with your franchise qb and then, if your franchise qb doesn't like it, tell him 'tough ****' and bench him.

thank god the fans don't get a vote.

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I know this is out of the blue, and probably incredibley unlikely, because I haven`t heard his name come up anywhere, even on this board, but...
    Could Charlie Batch be an offensive co-ordinater?
    Who better than a qb who has been here for years, to know what we have talent-wise, and to know what works and what doesn`t, offensively?
    If you are going to pick someone to call your plays, why not a quarterback, who has actually played the game at this level, and seen how defenses respond to the plays that have been called?
    Because he doesn`t come from a "coaching tree"?
    Doesn`t have the "pedigree"?
    I know it is very unlikely,
    But, when I thought of it, I thought, "Why Not?!"
    He is smart, everyone seems to want him as a QB coach, why not the Co-ordinater?
    Of course, I also feel that the best boss of any company is one who came up thru the ranks, doing the jobs of the people he is in charge of, not one who just went to college, and learned what "should" work, "by the book"...

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You made some good points, but you don't go from production line worker to foreman over night. Like you said, you need to go through the ranks, not jump immediately to the top. There's no indication Batch can draw up plays to take advantage of mismatches. He can coach I'm sure, but can he draw up plays from scratch? Can he call plays? Can he make a game plan for the entire season even before it starts?

Batch may one day make a good OC, but he's not there yet. He needs time to learn the coaching aspect of football first

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When I hear fans say this nonsense I just want to put on those big hulk gloves and pummel them. :frustrated: WE DONT WANT MEDIOCRE QB'S!!!!!! What in Gods name is wrong with you people???? We had mediocre QB's from mid 90's untill Ben got here on teams with talent that blew away what we have on the team now! Blew it away! And how many SB's do we have to show for it??? ZIP! You don't throw away a franchise QB for your flipping OC, that's insanity. Just stop with this garbage.

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Very few plays have to be "drawn up from scratch"...
    Most plays have been done over and over again by every team in the league...
    Any OC who can truly come up with a play that hasn`t been seen, in some variation, at some point in time, by some team in the league, would be a "genius", in my book. ;)
    #2... I have a feeling, he COULD "call plays", as in, pick the best play for a given situation, to keep the defense off guard, and get the desired result, be it a first down, touchdown, or move the ball and kill some clock, or set them up for a play, later...
    #3... I don`t believe ANY coordinater can game plan for an ENTIRE season, not knowing how it is going to play out, with injuries to their own, or opponents teams, or how different teams that are on the schedule, may change their tendencies, from season to season, or during the course of a season...
    #4 (Which wasn`t mentioned)... I believe Charlie would do a good job of adjusting to what defenses throw at us during the course of a game... Something that has been sorely lacking, under Arian`s tenure, IMHO... ;)

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    What team were you watching during the 90`s, that had better talent, than our current recievers, runningbacks, and tight ends?!?! :hmmm:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I don't know maybe the ones that had Bettis, Thigpen, Bruener, Dawson, Strzelczk, Faneca and should I even mention the defense??? Ok I will, Gildon, Kirkland, Holmes, Lloyd, Lake, Woodson, Bell, Perry.

How about those players? As for our young money crew, that's just coming together now and I'll agree Heath is better then Bruener but he was a good TE too. The Oline was light years ahead of what we have now and RB? You have to be kidding, Bettis kills Mendy and then there's the defense, I'll take the guys I listed over anyone on this team every day of the week twice on Sunday.

8. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Based on his success with the cardinals offense as their OC as well as his success making the chiefs sorry excuse for an offensive roster competitive in his first year as HC before they imploded due to injuries.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wow. For wanting this guy gone starting four years ago this moment is almost bittersweet for me. I'm glad we're getting someone new in here, but I've know BA as our OC for the past five years and will be weird not hearing about him or bitching about him anymore. I wish him all the best in whatever it is he decides to do now, and I hope that his retirement was on his own accord, especially after Tomlin said he'd be back. Thanks for everything BA, and while it always wasn't pretty, you had some nice moments here.

I hope the new guy doesn't make wholesale changes, but merely makes slight adjustments to situational playcalling and setting up the defenses. Our offense could always move the ball under BA, but just couldn't punch it in.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes there is a Santa Clause! YiPPEE Thank you Art II

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    For those of you calling for Charlie Batch to be the OC, all I can say is, seriously? I have to question your general knowledge of football and what coaches even do. CB is not a coach and has no coaching experience or qualifications. He doesn't (didn't) even call the plays when he played, so what makes you think he could gameplan and call the right plays at the right time in the highest level of football there is? Not to mention, I can't fathom the players taking him seriously and not questioning him at every turn. This has got to be the dumbest notion relating to OC that Ive heard yet.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NO ROONEY FIRED HIS A S S!! :rawk: :thumbs_up: :yeehaw: :swordsman: