1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Arians May Not Be Back in 2012

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Agnybo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Agnybo

Agnybo Member

Oct 25, 2011
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Re: Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 20

You beat me to it! But, nothing really new.

3. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/702 ... rs-offense

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Steelers OC Bruce Arians "might not return in 2012."
    Arians is apparently considering retirement. Arians nearly retired at the end of the 2010 season due to health problems, but ended up returning for a fifth year in Pittsburgh. Head coach Mike Tomlin hinted at his season-ending press conference that he expected Arians to be back in 2012. Arians has often been criticized in Pittsburgh for going too pass-heavy, but the Steelers have ranked in the top half of the league in yards gained each of the past three seasons. Jan 18 - 8:05 PM

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If he's not back will ben leave?

5. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well he better decide quick so that we can get some candidates in for interviews asap.

6. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would be the happiest Steeler fan alive if he reties.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, if it's health reasons then he may not have a choice but I'd be surprised if it was simply to retire since he said he was glad he came back this year and is really excited about the players he has to work with now.

And no, Ben is not going anywhere, where would he go? He's under contract. Not that he would leave anyway just because BA isn't the OC anymore.

8. yeldarb

yeldarb Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It shouldn't be his decision!!

9. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Rooney may have SUGGESTED Ariens retires. His abrupt complaints about 21st in scoring, red zone problems, and Bens protection/sacks all being brought public right after Tomlin announcing Ariens was welcomed back seems strange to me....maybe just wishful thinking.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

That is a deceptive stat. What we really need to look at is our red zone efficiency, third down efficiency and scoring. Given that we really have some outstanding players at the skill positions, our offense has woefully underperformed the last 2 years.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  12. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Get in line dude, there's plenty of other "happiest Steeler fans alive" that will be cheering that announcement! :praying:

13. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    but everybody absolutely LOOOOOOOOOVED our defense for being ranked #1 in yards allowed . . .

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

No, we loved our #1 defense for giving up the fewest points. Yards alone don't mean :bscow:

15. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Will he take Dick LeBeau with him and his tired schemes that made Tebow look like Elway against the Steelers.

17. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Amen!!!! I hope so.

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    this will be my SB win if he retires, don't let me down BA :praying:

some, not 1 ..maybe Lebeau too ?

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    look like this , rooney regain control of the situation if it was for tomlin we would have keep going with arians ,i'm worried is afraid to find a new guy ,if happens better be soon becaus we have to let know coaches that there is a vacant place in pittsburgh ,otherwise the best will sign elsewhere.
    clements or haley are my first choices

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If he does go, I think we have to only hire a new QB coach, as I think the current guy is promoted to OC (I always forget his name). All BA has/had to do was work on his red zone packages and he'd be considered a quality OC. I don't know why he has a love affair with the empty-set formation.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think even if he stays, Ben will leave... the game, routinely, on a stretcher.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope not. Our defense isn't perfect, but if we had a truly good offense that converts on 3rd down and can hold the ball with a 4th quarter lead, it would be the least of our concerns (see New England game for how our offense and defense should complement each other). Ironically, the problem in the Denver game is that we DIDN'T use our same old "tired" scheme.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am in the...please get out group.

First, I do think we already have our QB coach on the roster, his name is Charlie Batch. I honestly think he is the guy. Ben likes him and he can communicate with Ben which may be the most important.

Second, I think Fitchner is the first guy looked at. His Memphis offenses were very, very good. Carolina Panthers have a RB that was there when he was there calling the plays. Probably the best offense that team ever had.

Third, why do I want Arians gone? We were 12th in yards...21st in scoring. That being said, do we understand that the Jets. Yes, the NY Jets who were 8-8 and at home for the playoffs scored more TDs than we did. That their Redzone offense scored at a higher percentage than we did. That we only got a TD 50% of the time we reached the redzone. How sad is this red zone offense? This offense has all talent in the world, yet we have about 3 less completions on the bubble screen than we did to ALL of our RBs combined on the season. That the bubble screen made up 1 in every 5 completions Ben had this year. 1 in 5! Why does Ben have trouble with the dump off? Because we never design plays which are intentional dump offs. Why does our Oline suck? IMO, every opponent knows that when we throw the ball, we are going to try to throw it 30 yards. It takes so long for the players to come open that the Oline can't hold their blocks that long. Watch NE, GB, and NO run their offenses, you will see quick plays, but somehow they still get to go down the field. You see BA WANTS to go down the field, but he doesn't see the value in ever throwing short. He figures 20 shots down the field is better than 10 short and 10 long. J

If Arians leaves, I bet some of our "issues" on offense go away. I could be wrong, but somehow I don't think so.

25. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    This is from the Steeler's website:
    Randy Fichtner is in his second season coaching the Steelers’ quarterbacks after spending three seasons as the team’s wide receivers coach. He joined the Steelers after serving the previous six seasons at the University of Memphis. Fichtner was hired by Mike Tomlin on Jan. 29, 2007.

Anyone else think Arians is just setting up the fans to rip their hearts out again and decide to stay?