1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we missing a true emotional leader?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Jan 7, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    When Porter was around, not only did he lead on the field, but he was a leader before the game, on the sidelines during the game, and after the game. Most teams around the league have their own Joey Porter, but do we have one of those guys now? I don't really think we do. Harrison is mean and fiery, but he's not a vocal guy. He seems to be pretty quiet on the sidelines.

This is one of the reasons that if we do draft an ILB high, I hope we take Burfict. As good as Hightower is, I think Burfict has the attitude that we seem to be missing. Yes, he has issues, but I don't think they're severe enough that with some good coaching, some good role models and some growing up, that he won't change.

2. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
  3. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I have made this statment before and will stand by it untill proven wrong. A team takes on the personality of its head coach. Think about this then think of what you see on the side lines, compair that with what you see on the field. It's one in the same.

4. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Gotta agree with this.

5. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I also think having a player like this makes others play better by not letting his team lose. (The other players do not want to be the one to give up the big play.) After reading this thread and the follow up posts, I agree that all year, this is the passion that we have often been missing... Granted we are still ranked #1 on defense in the NFL. I feel having an emotional leader in the final game against Baltimore would have inspired our players to not give up that game winning 92 yard drive. On a side note, doing better in the Red Zone on offense would help, too. Do we have that offensive player? I felt for a while that might be Hines on offense.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I see the point you're all making, but I don't think lack of effort or fire is ever this team's problem. Generally speaking it's lack of talent/communication/chemistry on the OL, poor DB play, and a lot of times playcalling. We give excellent hustle on defense just like we did when Porter was here. We have lots of guys that are phenomenal players and lead by example (Polamalu, Harrison, Keisel). Those guys all play the game the way it's supposed to be played, and everyone else looks up to them. We do have some vocal guys, too. Woodley, Clark, Farrior, Gay (lol), to name a few. On offense, everyone again seems to be trying their best, but there is no communication going on. Outside of the New England game, the level of chemistry between Ben and the receivers is unacceptably low, and the OL usually looks like 5 guys instead of one unit. If more emotion could make these guys get more coordinated, then yeah we could use someone, but don't we really just need someone to coordinate the offense better?

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We have no one

8. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My initial reaction was no we don't, but I would say after going to the Az game Keisel could be one. There were a few series where he came off the field screaming and face beat red... I was in the stands and it was still scary lol

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    this team is not lacking emotional leaders. I have had the good fortune of attending a few home games and I will tell you the camera does not show alot. Keisel is very pumped up before games. so is Ike. Farrior is also a guy that can get in some faces. Ben makes his trip around to everyone during warm-ups ( sometimes I think he needs to stretch hisself). but the one guy that surprised me the most is ryan clark. the guy cant cover and really pisses me off sometimes but he is a great leader. I have seen him in the face of offensive players and defensive players. the guy is a leader and will be missed this week. anyone know if he will be there?

10. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It was reported a few days ago that Ryan Clark would be on the sidelines. He just cannot physically exert himself.

11. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think that Ben used to be the emotional leader. I think that since the superbowl loss some of his fire has gone out. He always had the desire to be the greatest qb that the Steelers have ever had. He saw himself having that potential and it was his goal. Bradshaw never lost a superbowl, Ben did. Now he'll never be greater than Bradshaw and he knows it and his heart isn't into it like it used to be.

12. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Whether or not we do or do not have an emotional leader means squat. Get on the field, score the most points, get off the field and start preparing for the next opponent!