1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we expecting too much of Najee Harris?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Sodfather, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    No, but I think Steeler fans are expecting way too much out of some of the lower draft picks and UDFAs. Harris will make the biggest immediate impact his rookie year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He can do it, The OL will have to step up their game,
    He will also be a factor in the passing game. yes he is that good. barring injury
    he should be right there for RPOY

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I assume you are just comparing rookie seasons? That would make sense, as Harris is a first-rounder, and Bell was taken in the second. Harris also had a higher profile in college.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Steelers fans are desperate to once again have a real running game. Ah, the good old days where they could gain 1 yard on 3rd and 1 instead of lining up 5 wide with empty backfield. We all hope the OL improves drastically and Harris can be that RB. Odds aren't in our favor though. It would be a miraculous turnaround in 1 year. Call me skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I was thinking more along the line of Ben to AB was the #1 priority for defenses with Bell's rookie season. Actually Ben was a nightmare for defenses back then...maybe not as much anymore.

You are also correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It is for us ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 4
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Rookie Of The Year :hehehe:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I just saw a headline they sent him home "for working too hard."

I like that.

Great attitude. Seems as close to a sure thing as you can get from a draft pick who has not played an actual game in the NFL yet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Nice adjustment on the TD catch against good coverage. And the second clip made one thing clear; if you try to tackle him around the shoulders, good luck and God Bless. I'm starting to get excited to watch this kid play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm not expecting greatness, so I don't think i'm expecting too much.

Maybe had we drafted Etienne my expectations would be high, but I just don't see the explosiveness to make him great. Good? possibly. Great? I wouldn't bet on it.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Harris might not be as explosive as Etienne, but I think he's a better fit for the Steelers, Harris will be that every down RB like LeVeon was for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Can we put Najee in bubble wrap until the season starts :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People mix up explosive and home run threat. Harris is plenty explosive.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think so. They don't necessarily need a home run threat. Those guys strike out a lot, too. They need what Harris can provide, tough inside yards with the ability to break tackles. Also an above average pass catcher.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Harris' success is definitely tied to the o-line, that goes without saying. But all the change to the front five can be an advantage to the new coach too. From the outside looking in, he definitely seems like an aggressive coach. Meaning he's not going to stand for sub-par play. With all the new faces, he won't be afraid to sit a guy I bet. Maybe even DD if he isn't up to his normal self. I don't think the name on the back of the jersey means anything to Klemm. He wants to set the tone for this offense and that's how it should be to be honest. I'm glad Pouncey retired. Unfortunately his time was up and I think his reputation (well deserved as it was) kept him in the lineup at times. I think he was smart enough to see that too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe this thread should be titled “Are we expecting to much from Canada and Klemm”. Apparently Canada is a Wiley Coyote level offensive Super Genius, he play 4-dimensional chess. Klemm will make this OL the mean and nasty road grading machine Art II desires. Too bad these guys weren’t around last yr fixing the woeful inadequacies of that offense. Oh wait!? I guess these two alpha males were meekly following the orders of their bozo bosses. Trapped from making meaningful change. Makes you wonder why they have position coaches at all.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    You heard that wrong, apparently the coaching staff told him to stop working hard :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    In fairness to Canada he was the QB coach and had some input in the offence but it was probably quite limited. I’m going to reserve judgement until we see what he puts on the field.

I don’t know much about Klemm but it would be a near miracle if he can get that unit up to even average after so much personnel turnover. I really hope he proves me wrong.

I think Najee can have a good rookie campaign but that OLine is most definitely going to hold him back to an extent

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is a very true statement right there. There were many lower round picks this year who fell for various reasons, the pandemic being one of them. That said every year you have players that drop and they drop for a reason. I think there is some good potential from this group, but to expect Pro Bowl level production is outlandish, to expect them to even start is a stretch.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You beat me to it. I don't know how anybody can watch his highlights and think that Harris isn't explosive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Chop111

Chop111 Member

Jun 22, 2021
    You might be right about that. The Oline deteriorated in the last couple years in terms of the run game. Klemm has a lot of work to do.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We had no problem running the ball to start the season.

As soon as defenses figured out we were not throwing the ball down the field they put all 11 guys at the line of scrimmage and dared us to throw it.

Everyone wants to blame it on the offensive line or running backs, but if we have to go against goal line formations for the entire season the running game is going no where. If your 5 offensive lineman are trying to block 11 guys at the line of scrimmage it is going to be a long day for your running backs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lots of Combo blocks getting off the initial block to soon ..Lots of design leaving OL 1 on 1 against better Defensive players getting whopped..Lots of runs from the gun very predictable and defenders are on their way to the designed hole before the RB even takes the handoff...

The first place to start is with play calling and more under Center quicker hitting runs..The next thing is get the job done on the first level stay on the combo block as long as needed heck even add a motion guy and go triple Team if needed to get a guy moved out of the hole..Next get the RB to press behind those combo blocks push the pile and hope it splits or a cut back lane opens..

To me the goal should be to get more positive runs and not get the RB hit in negative or even territory..Get him a yard or 2 let him get some more .. Keep beating on DL until they get tired of those double Teams and now the combo blocker and the wham blocker can start gong next level sooner and bigger and better runs will occur ..

We used to game plan like this against monster DL in HS as most DC'S would develop their run fits and stunts around their stud..So by beating the stud it would also help beat the game plan..In the NFL lots of studs so IMO use the same style to beat whoever is in the hole you are trying to run to.. It seems simple , but would be much more effective than the video I just watched IMO..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chop111

Chop111 Member

Jun 22, 2021
    Yeah they had a lot of trouble blocking on combo blocks. It was surpsing to watch them consistently work up to the next level too soon, only to have the DLineman fight off and make the play. I thought AV, the Left Tackle, was pretty solid on a lot of the plays I watched. I probablly saved about 120 run plays then whittled them down to make that film study video.
    I definitely think they will have a better run game next season. The previous OC had a pretty low ranked run game each year. Canada and Klemm will do a better job. Harris will also make some big plays, I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1