1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we a team or ...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersWorld, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    IIRC, the argument wasn’t with his content, but his timing. Talking crap—even truthful crap—about a legend on his retirement day is a total dick move.

2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True dat! Both the player and business side could use some tweaking. The players demand more money while the team demands more control. We seem to get caught up in the RFA thing more often than other teams though. Why tag guys over and over again? Let them go and avoid the drama. Except the fact that you reach a impasse and move on.

Another point of contention is run of the mill QBs getting 100 million contracts just because. That has gotten way out of hand.

If I'm not mistaken, we've won more games (and make the playoffs) than any team not named NE. The last two decades has belonged to them. That team has been the MJ of football.

Finally, some folks are going to grind the ax with Tomlin whether the team is winning or losing, "That's the Standard" as of late in PB Fandom.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was referring to Belichick

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    'Cause Billy is just the bestest EVER!!

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. I hate Belichick. I just don't know why he has to be Tomlin's measuring stick. 30 other coaches in the NFL.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    OK then... let's compare Tomlin to Pederson, Payton, Carroll, McCarthy, McVay, Marrone, etc. Any of those coaches could coach circles around Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Simple, because you always want to be compared to the best...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Then he should be compared to Shula, Noll, Walsh...…...you know, the guys that didn't get caught CHEATING at least twice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Ok, then...

Simple, because you always want to be compared to the best of your contemporaries ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How about contemporaries who haven't been caught cheating? Coughlin, maybe?

11. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Not to be all Conspiracy Theory Guy, but the chatter was that every team is breaking rules. I have no trouble saying NE is the worst (THEY ARE!), but I’d be surprised if there’s a team in the league that’s totally squeaky-clean.

12. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree that a coach can only do so much. He inherits the core problem. The core problem is mainly how people are raised. They are raised to believe the are all 'special', to believe they can do no wrong, to question authority, not respect it, to look out for numero uno at all times, to become a star, not a team player. Core values are on the decline. Once the contracts and salaries starting rising to absurd heights, all sense of reality began to fade.

It'll never happen, but if the major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB) could adopt a "get paid for winning" paradigm (like tennis and golf) instead of the fat contracts, maybe that would curb some of the greed.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with what you've said here except the part about questioning authority. It depends on what kind of authority you are talking about. A NFL team is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship and Tomlin should be the dictator. Tomlin should not have to answer to the players. He answers to the Rooneys and Colbert.

However, elected politicians SHOULD have their authority questioned, if it's unlawful and detrimental to society.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look at baseball and a .500 pitcher gets a huge contract. It is out of hand.

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You keep missing the pivotal word. CAUGHT! Some may have bent rules, or flat out cheated. Bellychuck got caught at it! It taints their whole dynasty to me. That team is good enough to win without cheating. Bill just does it anyway and the owner and players know about it!

16. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    I haven’t missed it, boss. Maybe he’s not quite as good at cheating as other team personnel. Maybe he thought the good ol’ boys network wouldn’t call him out. Maybe he rubs people the wrong way and someone had an axe to grind.

Either way, we measure coaches by their records and Lombardi tallies. Busted or not, he’s the standard.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I despise the man and the team probably mostly because of the cheating and how it directly affected our team. If I was given the choice between him and Tomlin for the next 5 years I'm taking Bellichick in a hummingbirds heart beat....anyone saying otherwise is lyin' to themselves. He is a far superior coach....

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Fair enough but, in my world, character counts. Is he successful? Yes! Is part of his success due to cheating? Yes! Is all of his success due to cheating and he just hasn't been caught yet? Who knows!? Much as I dislike the team he did it with, I'd take Jimmy Johnson over Billycheck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well fans are responsible for the absurd salaries with continued support of sports.

The owners are just as greedy or even more so than the players so.. Goodell received over 30 million a year. Apparently Goodell asked for almost 50 mill a year, life time use of private jet, and life time health insurance for his family. Goodell received over 205 million between 2008 and 2015. In what world does that seem proper? His salaries are no longer public record.

Looking at the money Goodell was paid no wonder HOF players want salaries and benefits in the future.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ………………..and did that affect the play, or did he get out of the way? Not analogous to taping other teams practices! I'm not convinced Tomlin did it on purpose. Given the IQ that most people on here attribute to him, he just forgot there was a real game going on and not a practice!

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was just playing around by comparing the two events, but I'll never believe coach didn't know exactly where he was. He can't play genius one minute and dummy the next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    With 6:26 left in the third quarter of the game, Ravens receiver Jacoby Jones took a kickoff back and had to alter his path because Tomlin had -- inadvertently or not, depending on how you want to look at it -- gone past the sideline boundary. Jones returned the kick 73 yards, but was tackled by defensive back Cortez Allen on the play, and Baltimore had to settle for a field goal on the drive.

In the statement accompanying the fine, the league said that the removal or alteration of draft picks for the Steelers in 2014 could still be in play because the act affected play on the field. The only larger fine ever given to a head coach in NFL history was the $500,000 levied against Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots for his role in the Spygate scandal.

LINK

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Pederson has this players council type thing, where they can bring locker room concerns to him and questions about play calling etc. Some point to one of these discussions as a key turning point in the Eagles success.

There’s ways to run the team well outside of autocracy, although I agree with your point in general.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't you read this board? He's NEVER a genius!