1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we a team or ...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersWorld, Sep 17, 2018.

1. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Does anyone else feel like the Steelers (and pretty much every NFL franchise for that matter) are no longer "teams", but are instead a loose collection of prima donnas and wanna-be rappers?

I've been a fan since the early 70's. I grew up with the Steel Curtain dynasties. Those teams were tight, disciplined, organized, and motivated in ways I just don't see anymore.

There are too many distractions (social media is a cancer), too much posturing, and too many 'gotta get mine' attitudes.

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I feel like the teams of the by-gone era were just another breed of football players, and this generation has missed the point entirely.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Blame Tomlin. Harrison said it best belichick is much more disciplined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Never heard this said about the Patriots

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    It's mostly a perception thing due to the rise of free agency, the internet and social media and the fact that Tomlin runs an undisciplined ship.
    They still do all of the charity events and home town team stuff that they used to do it's just that the good mostly gets ignored and the bad "click bait" things get pounced on and reported, analyzed, debated and discussed ad nauseam.
    This sports always had it's prima donna's and, yes, we have far more individuals worried more about their bank account than what team they play for because certain positions can demand so much more money than others.

The locker room culture of individual teams depends the head coaching staff and the team captains/leaders just as they always have. The Steelers have turned into a drama fest in a lot of ways because of our coaching staff and team leaders.

The good news is that only constant in life is change. Whether it changes for the better or the worse we'll just have to wait and see. Butt's in seats and merchandise sales are great motivators. Steeler home games have started to have more and more empty seats every year and while I don't know what merchandise sales numbers are I have to imagine they they're down a bit too.

Take all of that for what it's worth - just the opinion of a long time fan starting in the 70's just like yourself.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s a different era, in both football and life in general.

Part of those differences include vastly bigger salaries, and 24 hour rolling coverage of everything the team does.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's obvious there little accountability our discipline in the Steelers locker room. Anytime AB doesn't have a stellar game he's seen blowing up on a coach (like he was again this week). AB is always spouting off on twitter (threatening a reporter and then asking for a trade to see how well he would do on another team). Ben is seemingly capable of getting a good OC run out of town simply because he doesn't like him. Our veterans can do whatever they want with no repercussions. The team is just a **** show right now. Somebody needs to step in and make some changes. I'm just tired of the drama surrounding this team. We used to be the model franchise in the league but under Tomlin we've become a joke

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Social media gives players, and people in general a platform. 15-20 years ago we had no platform. If you complained the only people who would hear it, where your friends, family, and co-workers.

Now you can put whatever you want to,and whoever you are friends with on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, everyone hears about it.

It used to be if it wasn't written by reporters from the paper or on ESPN and Sports center. Fans didn't even know a player said a darn thing. Now days they get mad, do something stupid, and the public sees it and runs with it because they put it on social media. Then they see how dumb it was and try to delete it, but once it gets a screen shot, it's done.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s more disciplined than most coaches. Why does Tomlin have to be compared to Belichick?

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont even agree with that. Stuff I've seen our players do wouldnt happen on other teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have 1 team leader on the whole squad. Thanks Cam. Our Lockeroom is TOXIC. Thanks Coach T.

11. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Belichick is the standard.

12. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Couldn't agree more, and yes, social media is a CANCER.

13. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017

Because the Steelers are one of the best franchises in the NFL, like the Patriots. At least we used to be. Do you want us to compare Tomlin to Hue Jackson instead?

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Have you seen the Detroit Lions this year? They are all mad that Caldwell got canned and Patrica makes them practice hard. They quit already and no one is doing anything in that locker room to show them Patricia means business

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Although I despise him, Belichick seems to control the players better then most. He also seems to make a mediocre player great at times. Overall I agree with the OP. It's a lot about getting the money and caring less about the team.

I do miss days gone by where there was not all this dollar talk. Maybe the only thing I do like now is how the offense has taken over in the NFL. Look at some of those 70 Steeler scores. Yes, I loved being on the winning side but it was all about the defense. I can remember Bradshaw having games under 200 passing yards and we won.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, old fart to old fart.

17. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    This generation is way worse and it is only going to get more worse as younger players come up. They are not going to be able to handle adversity because we no longer expose them to the realities of life when they are growing up. Three things I think make this generation of athletes worse than the ones who came before. First is endorsement deals. That makes players more concerned about their brand than on their team. Older players had endorsements but this generation invented "brand". It's naturally anti-team. The second is a new breed of "journalists" who are just ex-players and coaches. They rarely call out players and actively defend a lot of what is wrong with sports today. It reminds me a lot of Hollywood where the "journalists" exist as the defacto PR firm for Hollywood. Many of today's sports journalists, mostly on TV, just exist to promote the sport instead of cover the sport. As such players are never told they are wrong or held to a higher standard. The last is the players union. I know that every player needs to someone to stand up for their interests but the NFLPA in particular just whines about everything. A player could be caught on tape committing a murder then caught on social media after bragging about the murder and the NFLPA would still sue the league for any punishment given. They are out of hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People are so stupid. How can a coach really discipline million dollar star athletes and expect to keep his job? Sorry folks but players win and lose games in the NFL. Any coach that disciplined his players over every little issue would be out of a job quickly. Fringes players get cut. Star athletes have a more leeway. Teams also invest millions of dollars into their players.

Another thing. It appears that 95% of Steelers players appear to be good apples. It's interesting how some folks let one or two individuals influence their opinions of the organization in such a negative manner.

Every loss brings out the worse selective opinions and memory loss in some fans.

• Like Like x 2
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't that the truth. I remember the discussion we had here when DWill actually said what everyone knew about Peyton Manning the day he retired. He said Peyton had a horrible year and it was the defense that got him the ring. It was the truth it wasn't sugar coated but everyone was upset because he had just retired and you don't go after a guy like Manning the day he retires and speak the truth no matter how right you are. This stuff with MJD and saying you don't talk about a guys contract. Why? His money grab is costing other guys there money why not speak about it>

• Like Like x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    As a player you don't speak about someone else's contract negotiations because you will be in the same position one day fighting for every dollar you can get.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    the problem with the above highlighted portion is that the team does discipline the players and so does the league. Brown got fined for his cleats, Heyward got fined for his dads name on his eye black. AB got in trouble for the facebook live gaffe. The league fines them for their socks not being up, having their jersey up and showing their sixpack like in college, for not wearing pink when required. They are regulated and disciplined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Art and Dan died. And you could see the organization change for the worst and this team is dying slowly

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    As I wrote every little issue. Did you miss that part of it? How long do you think a coach would last benching, fining, or cutting players? People talk about discipline? What kind of discipline do they want? Players should shut up and not express themselves? It just seems people go way over board with this nonsense.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I can think of one who's lasted since 2000, longest current tenure I believe.

25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2