1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers set up for the future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 5, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Whether You want 2 count it or not...He has been a OC in college, and a OC here last year. So...I've watched Him OC two years in college, and once in the NFL, and I'm not impressed.
    Like I said I hope He can change My mind.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Still concerned about depth on defense. Lots of unproven players at all 3 levels.... DEs, LBs and DBs.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    really heinz? i don't get that about unproven players at all 3 levels.

DL of course we have a rookie (leal) but we have many others before he should get on the field that are proven or at least have field time and did well. loudermilk looked good as a rookie. wormley can play, i don't care what some think. adams can play as well. leal is just some icing on the cake. davis can play as well. of course alualu and cam. not seeing the big unproven thing here. at least this year.

LB bush jack, spillane, UG3, avery, allen all have plenty of proven field time. watt, highsmith, avery, tuszka all have good field time. now we have a mix of younger guys. that is a good thing. skipper isn't brand new. we have some other young guys we have to see what they can do. inside too. buddy has moved well i have heard. we shall see where it goes. avery is going to be a good add i think and a guy that can do inside and out. tuszka can do that too. i like the mix at LB until we know more or see the progress.

DB's wallace is proven. witherspoon isn't new. sutton the same. even behind them we have pierre which did start last year. hopefully he can build on that. layne has been here for 4 years. he has had some field time. we have a couple of young guys that seem like they can play, but we will find out at this level. maulet, norwood seem like decent journeymen type players that can give you quality time in some packages too.

safety i think we look really good. minkah of course. edmunds, killebrew, kazee, joseph, norwood, stiner. that's a lot to choose from. all can play. most have a good bit of field time as starters.

overall we have a much better group than many think with some new talent sitting behind them. that's how it should be. this defense is the least of my worries this year. i believe putting the offense together on the field will be much harder. we have talent but making it work together will be the trick. many newer moving parts on that side of the ball. we have some decent vet players on the defensive side to keep it under control. :cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You always cite his college tenure as a failure but it looks pretty good to me :shrug:

I have no idea if what he wants to do will translate to the pros but there is no denying he had success at the college level. I’m sure there are bad parts too but what coach hasn’t had them.

From his bio on the Steelers website:

Canada owns nearly two decades of experience as both a highly successful quarterbacks' coach and offensive coordinator. Prior to his time with the Steelers, Canada's units set offensive school records at Indiana, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, and Pittsburgh, and as the interim head coach at the University of Maryland in 2018.

Canada served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks' coach at LSU in 2017. Tigers' quarterback Danny Etling threw 16 TDs and only 2 interceptions, while LSU finished the season No. 1 nationally in fewest turnovers. The Tigers won six of seven SEC games down the stretch and earned a trip to the Citrus Bowl.

Among the quarterbacks developed by Canada are former NC State quarterback, New England Patriots third-round NFL Draft pick and current Indianapolis Colts signal caller Jacoby Brissett, who threw for 43 TDs and just 11 interceptions over a two-year period under Canada. Canada also mentored first-team All-MAC quarterback Chandler Harnish (Northern Illinois), two-time honorable mention All-Big Ten quarterback Ben Chappell (Indiana), second-team All-Big Ten quarterback Kellen Lewis (Indiana) and fifth-round NFL Draft pick Nathan Peterman (Pitt), who threw for 27 TDs and 7 interceptions in a season when the Panthers broke a number of school records on offense.

In Canada's one season with the Panthers (2016), Pitt averaged a school-record 42 points per game, which ranked No. 10 in the nation. The Panthers led the nation in red-zone TD percentage (82%) and scored at least 28 points in all 12 regular-season games, including a 43-42 victory at eventual national champion Clemson. Pitt allowed just 9 sacks in the regular season, which was the fewest of any Power 5 program. Running back James Conner rushed for over 1,000 yards, scored 16 TDs, and earned first-team All-ACC honors. The Panthers finished the regular season 8-4 and earned a trip to the Pinstripe Bowl.

At NC State (2013-15), under Canada, the Wolfpack finished third in the ACC in scoring offense in 2015 and scored the most points (41) in the regular season against College Football Playoff finalist Clemson.

Canada served a critical role in leading Wisconsin to a Big Ten Championship and Rose Bowl berth in 2012. The Badgers routed Nebraska, 70-31, in the conference title game. Wisconsin finished No. 12 nationally in rushing offense and Montee Ball won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back. Ball also earned first-team AP All-American honors.

Prior to joining the Wisconsin staff, Canada led offenses at both Northern Illinois (2003, 2011) and Indiana (2007-10). In 2011, the Huskies won the MAC championship and finished in the top 12 nationally in scoring offense, total offense and rushing offense. Canada guided an Indiana offense that scored a school-record 412 points in 2007.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Big waste of time copying all that . I watched 2 teams in college get way better offensively after He left. That's why. One of those teams I watch most of the games....The other team....I watched every freaking game. I didn't read about it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It took two seconds :lolol:

So you want an OC that has no blemishes, got it :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well of course. Don't You???

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol they don’t exist. The great Chuck Noll had a decade of futility.

Come on dude. There is no disputing Canada had success at the college level. Hopefully he will have success here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I dearly Hope He has success Here. Why on earth would I not want Him 2??
    I'm just pointing out He was unsuccessful in 2 college stints, and I personally know one couldn't be happier when He was gone, but You can bet Your A$$ I want Him 2 be successful here. I don't spend My time , money, hopes, and entertainment wishing for a bad team......I much...much rather be wrong.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I never indicated you didn’t want him to succeed lol.

Would certainly hope every Steelers fan wants him to do well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    LSU couldn't get him out of there fast enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner