1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers going to be able to re-sign TJ Watt?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 28, 2020.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Typically when they want to get one of their own signed,they get it done one way or another...
    They will figure out a way ..Too young with too much up side to let get away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your just a pup.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhh.....to be 46 again:dancing:

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The way these contracts are being inflated by the time they get around to signing TJ his contract will be in the 175 mill range, the niners just made their TE Kittle the highest paid TE in history with a fat contract 5 years 75 mill:

The 49ers and Kittle are in agreement on a five-year, $75 million extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Michael Silver reported. Of the $75 million total, more than half of it is made up of guarantees, per Rapoport, with $30 million guaranteed at signing, $40 million guaranteed for injury and $18 million arriving via signing bonus.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s a great deal for the 49ers. Kittle is not a normal TE, he arguably their most important receiver and his excellent blocking is critical in that run/pass play action system that Shanahan uses so well. He is as important to them as Julio is to Atlanta but he is considerably cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Kittle is worth every penny. The Steelers passed on him in the 5th round, later that year trading for Vanimal. :frustrated:

7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Whatever the price is, they pretty much have to figure it out.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm they need to re-sign both Heyward and Watt even if it means sacrificing other positions. You need a couple great pass rushers/defenders. They make everyone behind them better

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert drafted Dobbs instead of Kittle :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Huge draft miss. I know it’s pointless looking back at drafts but Kittle was widely mocked to the Steelers on the fan podcasts that I listened to at the time. That would have been a real game changer for the team and would have made the 2017 draft almost legendary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Everyone whiffed the first four rounds as well. Clearly was a 1st round talent in the end. Not much different than no one taking AB or Brady until the 6th. Those hits are more luck than anything else. If you really had that inkling on a guy, you make that move a good deal sooner.

12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He will absolutely re-sign. He's a franchise cornerstone. If others gotta go, they gotta go. Giving TJ what he makes now + Bud's money is a start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think anybody evaluated Kittle correctly, not even San Francisco, I agree with you that they just got lucky. He was more of a blocking TE in college and wasn’t doing half the stuff he does now. Most of the pre draft reports I heard had him as a solid mid round TE, something the Steelers needed at the time. Nobody was ever taking him in the first 2-3 rounds because there was simply no evidence at all that he would turn out this good, but he would have been a very logical pick in the fourth at the time, and was widely mocked to the Steelers around there.

No point looking back but I often can’t help myself thinking ‘what if’ on things like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If I remember right, the Steelers needed a te more than a backup QB. Ben scared the team with retirement talk.