1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers a CB and WR draft picks away from the playoffs?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 15, 2014.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I almost cannot believe some of what I have read. Wr is not even a top 3 need. CB, DL and OLB are all greater needs. WR is a luxury pick. A case can be made that RB is a bigger need due to no depth.

Cajun-

2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Put great players in every position_duh, but now I realize that we're lucky to have DL and the core of his D are LBs that constantly harass the QB. When that happens our best CB, IKE, suddenly looks better. When it doesn't happen he is what he is.
    We need bees that are in a constant state of buzz around the QBs. They don't have to be big but they have to be varied, quick, and in a constant state of agitation, i.e, porter, woodley, harrison, and hopefully Jones will fit that mold.
    Grab a CB , they will this year cuz Ike is old but they want LBs and LBs and LBs!

Realizing how very obvious this is but I think our mantra needs to be repeated again and again. LBs galore!

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OLB isn't a greater need they already have 2 starters at OLB, they need depth at the position. A WR could possibly start someone like Evans or Beckham could be the #2 WR on the Steelers. They have 2 good RB's so they have depth they need one more RB on the roster, which will likely be a late round draft pick.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we could draft an OLB every year until we find that one that will give us 50 sacks as a rookie. then we can draft that shut down corner that never allows a receiver to catch a pass on his side of the field. then we can look to the NBA and make a deal for the tallest guy they have so he can be our new WR. then we fly to japan and make a deal for the biggest sumo wrestler in the country and we make him our new NT. then we look for the biggest fastest mean old cuss we can get and put him at ILB so any team can never run the ball past the line of scrimmage. oh, then do it all again so we have depth.

hey TTF how do you change the color on the fonts? LOL:lolol::smiley1::cool:

5. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    We were reading in the green font already....it felt green in my head...:eek:

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think OLB is as big a need as WR and CB. There is an amazing amount of uncertainty at OLB. ON one side we have a guy who finally played like a starter for about 8 games after 3+ seasons of looking like an OK backup, and we only have him locked up for 1 year. Our other guy looked like starter material for far less than 8 games - more like 8 snaps of the football. I have hopes for him but he needs about 3 off seasons worth of improvement in one offseason to be the guy we need in 2014. OLB is critical in our defense, and we have an incredible amount of uncertainty there. If the BPA on our board at any point in the draft (including #15) is an OLB candidate, then we would be foolish to pass on him IMO. I also think Evans, Beckham or Lee could impact early at WR.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    OLB is a need but none of these guys they draft is going to start over Worilds and Jones IMO, they would be for depth I wouldn't draft a OLB at #15.

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We only have 2 OLB with any skill set at all, one,world's, has never been healthy thru an entire season and was even beat out by an undersized OLB who proved ineffective and was benched. The other is that same ineffective rookie. Yeah, OLB is less of a need than we.

We have serious issues at CB, Gay was our best CB and Ike was as bad as it gets. At least you guys recognize CB is a top need.

DL, you loose the battle of the trenches and you lose the game, 9 out of 10 times. Who do we have to man our 3 man front? 2 guys. McClendon and Heyward.

Tell me again WR is a bigger need than OLB,CB,DL.

If we don't draft a WR Ben will still be a top 7 QB, maybe higher.

Cajun

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on the guy, and he doesn't need to start if he can give us excellent pass rush specialization. Worilds may be gone next season, and we don't know what we have in Jones. If we head into 2015 without Worilds, it would be great to have a talented OLB with a year in the system. Pass rush is key in our system, and it makes our corners better. We need help there in this draft.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When you finish 8-8 the majority of the positions are in need. I think they will eventually sign Worilds to a contract extension, I still expect them to address the OLB position in the draft. OLB is one of the hardest positions to learn in a 3/4 defense, I wouldn't much contribution from a rookie ex: Jarvis Jones rookie season.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't expect a rookie to come in and make a huge difference this year. It is possible a Top CB ( Gilbert/Dennard ) can come in and make a difference on ST, get valuable defensive snaps as a nickel/dime DB and by mid-season replace Ike. As far as DL & OLB that would be for back-up only and development purposes for 2015. I fully expect Keisel & possibly Harrison to be resigned post june 1 but only for 1 year.

Cajun-

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why I would draft CB/WR or WR/CB in the first two rounds, these guys are going to get significant playing time and contribute next season even if they don't start right away.

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I get that. How the draft falls is not dependent on needs. Wr is not a huge need but with this deep draft we can get a weapon and address needs for 2015.

Cajun-

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As many have already said, if you run the 3-4
    you could draft OLB every year. Especially ones
    that can GET AFTER the QB.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You probably should draft one just about every year. My concern with the 3-4 OLB position in this year's draft is that I don't see the position being nearly as deep as WR, CB or even 3-4 DE. With the WR, CB and DE positions, I see guys who are projected to go in rounds 3-5 who I think can make positive contributions in part time roles as rookies, and compete for starting positions in the 2015-2016 time frame. Who knows, with a good offseason, some may even contribute significantly right away. At the 3-4 OLB spot, I see a lot of players listed as prospects, but very few that look the part to me on film. For example, the Steelers just had DeMarcus Lawrence in for a visit. I watched a few of his games on draft breakdown, and I see a decent 4-3 DE prospect who is being projected as an OLB because of his size. He looks like a good player to me, but I'm not seeing the quick twitch that's needed to be a force at OLB. The same goes for Trent Murphy from Stanford, who I think can be a really good NFL player in a 3 point stance, but also lacks the burst and quick twitch to be a good OLB. There are guys who I think can contribute heavily day 1 in sub packages, and possibly start year 1 or year 2. Those guys are not likely to be there past our 2nd rounder (if they even get that far). That's why I am leaning toward going OLB early if one of them is my BPA when we pick, and possibly even if I have him graded slightly below my BPA based on my perception of lack of depth at the position. For example, if I have a WR graded at 8.1, and an OLB graded at 8.0, I would pick the OLB because I have a bunch of WRs graded between 7 - 8, and very few OLBs graded at 6+. I'd be much more comfortable with my odds of getting a good WR later than a good OLB. That's my approach FWIW.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There will be some OLB's available in the 2nd or 3rd guys like Attaochou and Marcus Smith.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Smith may be there. I predict that Attaochu goes in the first round, possibly even in the Top 20. He's an excellent player already, and he just turned 21 in January. I just think some smart team is going to identify the combination of instant value and long run potential that he offers, and grab him early.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

to me attaochu is the best pass rusher olb in the draft