1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

are any starters expendable?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Apr 29, 2024.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wonder if Omar Kahn might be thinking about trading starters for a player to improve upon?

1. Will Nick Herbig ready to be the next TJ Watt and replace Alex Highsmith?
    2. Will Darnell Washington ready to become the next Gronk and replace Pat Freiermuth?
    3. Will rookie Mason McCormick beat out veteran James McDaniel?

I think having good depth is important but we have a need at CB and WR. Alex Highsmith for Brandon Aiyuk? Straight up trade.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    1. No. They need three guys there.
    2. The Gronk comparison is laughable. Maybe they trade Freiermuth anyway, but right now they need someone they can rely on to catch the ball besides Pickens.
    3. I guess this one is possible, but it seems unlikely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Dan Moore, but they might keep him as a back-up. They may switch Jones to LT, and play Troy at RT. Can't see Moore starting over Troy, regardless of what side they put him on

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I don’t feel like Freiremuth was given enough opportunities last season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Nate Herbig suddenly becomes expendable as McCormick is likely to be the swing G/C. That trade would save em 4m in cap space. Cutting him outright also saves em 4m in cap space. Yea, I know he's not a starter, but just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I could see them shopping Moore, he's not going to want to sit the bench while going into the last year of his contract, while Austin isn't a starter maybe he will be included in a trade package.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Asking Nick Herbig to be the next T.J. Watt is one tremendous leap of faith. Darnell Washington being able to replace Freiermuth is going to come down to how often Russell Wilson uses Tight Ends. Given how often Arthur Smith loves to use Tight Ends in his Offense, Darnell should have a much clearer path to showcase his still developing receiving skills.

As far as expendable players go, Dan Moore is currently the odd man out at the moment for his position versatility is non existent; him being a Left Tackle all his career in the NFL. He was tried out as a Right Tackle back in Training Camp a season ago but the results were not good. Beyond Moore, I really don't see anyone on the roster who'd fit such a description that could fetch value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Calvin Austin and Nate Herbig. Replace by Roman Wilson and Mason Mccormick. (Calvin Austin goes to the Practice Squad)

I also think either Loudermilk or Leal are out at the Tweener spot replaced by Logan Lee. (Loser goes to the Practice Squad)

I like Dan Moore to stick around another year and battle with Fauntanu for the starting LT position. (Broderick said Dan was a great mentor to him last year)

Wow ESPN must really like McCormick as they have him as the Steelers starting LG.
    Pittsburgh Steelers 2023 NFL Depth Chart - ESPN
    upload_2024-4-29_19-56-14.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. No. You can never have enough pass rushers. Especially with this being Watt's age 30 season, getting him on a rotation is important.
    2. No, not yet. That being said, I also do not believe that Pat should get a contract extension, he's a major liability both in the run game and in pass protection.
    3. No.

If they sign Cam Sutton they will be fine at CB.

I think they are good at WR, not great, just good.

There will be other cap casualties this summer from other teams, they can still upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Damn!

They really must want Isaac outta there! :eek:

I get Isaac is gonna be over 30 but cmon!

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He got hurt and was working back when they made the switch. Pickens just took those opportunities away from him for the most part. Plus Pat didn't seem to be running well late last season.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Austin might be on the outs. Didn't see much improvement on his route running (granted it was his first season) and Wilson is a little bigger, blocks better and gives you just slightly less pure speed. With DJ being gone

• Like Like x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Side note:

Why does ESPN have Payton Wilson as an EDGE?! :hmm:

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing that I've been thinking about it how TJ is bringing these guys along. Other than Some of the linemen, how many of the OLBs are coming in and learning from him? He's even said he's taken some moves from Herbig. He's really a guy that continues to refine his game and develop his position room.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Some idiot looked at his size and assumed?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have the guard positions alllll screwed up

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

what do they save by cutting Moore?

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Austin is only on outs if he can't make the roster on talent. he is cheap

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Because of massive lay offs :hehehe:

Why???

Dan Moore being a swing doesn't fit the puzzle. Move him for a pick. He was a 4th rounder and hopefully could fetch a 3rd since he has been starting on the left side.

Highsmith isn't going anywhere. Herbig is the #3

Austin is another matter. We will see how he does in OTA's and Camp. At this point they are on the short end of the receiver stick.

Nate Herbig went from starting center to a possible cut. Will save some dough.

Muth is not going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    calvin austin isn't going anywhere. he's the punt returner plus the kid has upside if they have a qb that can throw him the ball.

herbig is also the backup center like it or not. they usually keep at least 3 guys that can play center and in the past we have used 3.

yes friermuth can be a receiver but he's not a good blocker for smiths run game. last year of contract, injuries.

moore gave up 5.5 sacks last year, you need a good backup for the LT spot but can he finally make the move to the right side or not? that's what they will have to determine. also last year of contract. moving him downgrades your depth.

remember jones wasn't even ready to start right off the bat last year. everyone talking about these rookies taking spots from these vet players to begin the season is not thinking this through.

yes we had a good draft but don't expect these guys to play like seasoned vets right out of the gate. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No reason to practice squad anybody until the camp competition starts. Austin could easily beat out Watkins and/or Jefferson. I'd actually expect it.

This one is probably true, but Lee has to prove himself. That late of a pick is certainly still expendable... but these 3 are likely battling for 2 spots.

Moore will stick around regardless. He will likely be the back up tackle, but there is going to be a competition per the "steeler way". I think Moore is an ok player and a great teammate. He would be valuable as a signed swing tackle, especially if he gets on well with the young tackles.

I have no idea about McCormick. He either becomes a player and makes one of Seumalo or Daniels expendable, or he is a quality interior back up. Either is a win for a 4th round pick, though I would prefer the former.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not really sure about the numbers, but they're still going to need some depth at tackle

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Agree on most of these. I will say that I do expect Fautanu to replace Moore on the line immediately though. He is a different situation than Jones. Broderick came into the league young with a fewer amount of starts. Fautanu is nearly a year older than Jones and comes in a more experienced player. Frazier likely starts by product of being the only actual Center on the entire roster. I'd also expect Roman Wilson to get some run as a slot WR regardless of what we do with the rest of the offseason at WR.

I know that people expect a lot from the picks since we want/need these players to succeed for us, but you're right about them not coming in and being vets right away. I do think that there is a reasonable chance and expectation that the first two picks we made will be starters and improvements over what we had last season.

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If we are talking trade, I'm not sure who'd I'd toss out there.
    I'm more inclined to think they use draft picks which I don't like.
    The roster looks better, but it is thin.

I they go for the SF WR's, it will cost them picks. I don't think we have a player to temp them with other than TJ.
    They run a base 4-3.

I am curious to see how they 'make a big move.'

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Expendable could be Nate Herbig and maybe James Daniels.

But, McCormick would have to amaze then. Plus that be like starting 3 Rookies on O-Line I don't think they want that.

As far TJ Watt and Highsmith no. Nick Herbig will get his reps though.

Washington is not ever going to be a Gronk he has cement shoe feet.

Big Target, but he will never be Gronk.