1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone worried about Shazier yet?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    To paraphrase Mike Tomlin, those were JV reps. It will be interesting to see if he earned some varsity reps this week and next.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that goes with preseason.:cool:

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The answer is very likely no

4. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I don't see Shazier playing one preseason game, even if he is "healthy." No reason to make anything worse, we know he can play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Every year it seems like we're on the cusp of something great, this year an injury to shazier could be the difference. We don't have linebacker depth in the middle like we used to.

6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

You're not the only one to point this out, the fact we have an "opportunistic" schedule to start the season. My first thought is.... did you just become a steeler fan this summer? If you have been following the steelers since Tomlin took over the HC job then you would know that those easy games are anything but easy. In fact those are most likely trap games that could be the difference between us making the playoffs and not. Beating bad teams is not exactly Tomlin's specialty. IF bad teams are able to run on us because we have no LB depth, then guess what... we'll probably lose those games.

Seems to me every season we go into it knowing of a glaring weakness, crossing our fingers and hoping we can skim by, then finishing with a disappointing loss and saying "if you only get X player we'll be serious playoff contenders" LB depth is an issue IMO and the biggest issue is lack of any real playmakers on defense. Our defense has no one that can make big plays with consistency. that IMO is the reason we have not won playoff games.... well that and horrible game plans..but that's for another conversation. Shazier IMO is the only legit playmaker we have right now. We've got a couple guys that I'm hopeful for but unless we get some breakout seasons from Watt, Dupree, Burns, and/or Davis we are no better than we were last season.