1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone worried about Shazier yet?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I read he can't walk with out severe pain. This sounds worse than a "soft tissue" injury or a pulled hammy. If he has something more severe like a tear that could be a serious blow to our defense. We have NO depth behind a very fragile Shazier. Maybe Fort is better than I'm giving him credit for but he should not be starting. If he is we are in trouble.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I can't comment on rumors. Got a link?

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    FROM THE POST GAZETTE:

Coates close to returning

Receiver Sammie Coates, who has been on the physically unable to perform list since the start of training camp, is getting closer to being cleared to practice. He had knee surgery in July and was expected to be on PUP for 2-3 weeks. If he returns Wednesday it will be one day shy of three weeks.

“He’s working,” Tomlin said. “You guys see him working. He’s getting close. We’ll see what it looks like when we come out of the off day.”

Other injured players who were rehabbing on a side practice field Monday included Bud Dupree, Mike Mitchell, Senquez Golson, Keion Adams and Demarcus Ayers.

Ryan Shazier, who is dealing with a hamstring injury, appears to be the furthest away from coming back. He attempted to go through the agility drills with the others, but had to leave early. He even tried walking through the drills, but it was too painful for him to continue.

Shazier grimaced afterward and walked back to the sidelines to watch the healthy players practice.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. I'm wondering whether he will be ready for week 1.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Hope it's nothing serious but if it is, that changes the whole dynamic of this defense. Especially now that Timmons is gone also.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Whats up with this guy, he hasn't even played in a game yet and he cant even walk without being in pain, amazing............

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pull hammy can be painful. I had one and there was throbbing pain even while lying down. Keep getting treatment and rest that leg.3-4 wks and he will be fine

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hamstring injuries need to be taken care of with caution.

Ryan cannot push himself too early on the field.

9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Yet?
    I'm always concerned about his health

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In proper hamstring conditioning leads to most of the hamstring problems with athletes:

The Lost Art of Hamstring Training

Most of the time, hamstring training is put back at the end of the line. A classic lower body training session might involve the back squat, leg press, leg extension, and leg curl. As you can see, not much emphasis on the hams! And most importantly, when they aretrained, they aren't trained according to their capacities and functions. To design a proper hamstring workout, it's important to understand that:

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Injuries are always going to be a concern with Shazier, but I'm far more concerned that he is there down the stretch and in the playoffs than I am about Week 1. That is the reality with Shazier. Counting on him for every game is silly.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Always with the hamstrings.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have about a month to go before the seasons starts. Shut him down completely for 2 weeks and then see where things are at. Maybe he can get some reps in for the last preseason game.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    exactly...they over train the thighs, then when that huge thigh muscle contracts bringing the lower leg forward the hammy gets overpowered, stretched and torn. Anyway, hope its good to go by week 1.

15. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Well that just sucks. Guy is a China doll.

16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I doubt it. Maybe we can sit him weeks 1-3 and still win (Cle, MN at home, Bears). The have him 100% healed by Ravens game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm more worried about mitchell not being at practice. we are deeper at ilb then we are at safety. especially with the coverages we want to get better at. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    We need Shazier to get to, and win a Superbowl this season. In order to keep him healthy enough we may not want to try to have him play 16+ full games. At the moment it seems that a Shazier injury this season is almost inevitable. The more he plays, the more likely he gets hurt...same for everyone...but especially true for Shazier given the nature of his play, and injury history. Shazier needs a full season with nothing greater than 'minor' injuries. A 'healthy' season would greatly benefit: his body, his growth, our organization... and give some stability in an injury plagued career. If we preserve Shazier than we need ILB depth, or a combination of depth and versatility in the front 7 to fill the void.

Nothing major needs to be done to successfully preserve/rest Shazier. We've got a pretty opportunistic schedule to start the season. Get ahead early in the season, give us flexibility later on in the schedule. Win games in a timely manner and let some 2nd stringers finish out games.

Do you think a combo of V. Williams, LJ Fort, Steven Johnson, (and Moats?) can get the job done at ILB with Shazier on the bench (preserved, or injured)?
    Is the front 7 and secondary strong enough to help carry the defense with no Shazier at ILB?

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm at the point where I just want donuts

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I always want donuts. Who doesn't want donuts.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bussy use to make the donuts. Time to make the donuts. Being
    that Shazier is the best player on our defense and hasn't practiced hardly at all
    I would be concerned.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If he's on the field, he is a pro bowler.

Sit him out all preseason. Make sure the man is good to go before putting him back on the field.

23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Looks like we might be drafting ILB next year in the first three rounds.

Maybe the front office was looking at Hightower not for the reason of Vince Williams but the injury history of Ryan Shazier.

24. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    One free agent inside linebacker I think would be a good fit would be Perry Riley, formerly of the Raiders, and former 4th round pick of the Redskins. He was a starter the Redskins. It would be wise for the Steelers to carry five inside linebackers because of Shazier's injury history. I like Dirty Red, but depth beyond him is pretty thin. L. J. Fort hasn't had the opportunities to show much. Maybe this week he will.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he was tied for the team lead in tackles with hilton from the first game with 7. 5 solo and 2 assists. plus a qb hit. lj fort is quite active. porters johnson had a good game too. :cool: