1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone with experience getting rid of raccons?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 9, 2014.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They probably confused a racoon with chipmunk.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I REALLY hope not! LOL!

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the easiest to explain. Deer drop their antlers over the winter (injured or sick deer may drop them even in the fall). When I was younger, I used to go look for them after the thaw. I would imagine a dog would have an easier time finding them.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Maybe your the one that is confused.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOLOLOL!!!!! I've got some GREAT stories about those things! I will pm you sometime about them. From what you've just told me I think you would think they are pretty funny. Also, just out of curiosity, did your cpu try and correct you for spelling it without an "o" as the first letter? Mine doesn't but the word actually starts with a silent o right?

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he was just curious as to why the dog was bringing back the antlers. That's the way I took it anyway. TTF is quite the Grizzly Adams so I'd be surprised if he didn't know that. You're a big hunter and I was actually curious if you ever coon hunted before? I figured you're more of a big game type of dude though.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your wife. Just out of curiosity, is it actually legal to feed those? I think it is here but not in like a National Park because they don't want them to get too friendly with humans because they can then become aggressive when they are hungry. That's why people can't interact with black bears in the Smoky Mtn National Park. I have a friend at work that is REALLY in to helping animals and she rescues a lot of them and takes them home with her and everything. She is actually a vegan because of her desire to try and help animals. I think she will eat fish though.

8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    No. I'm a meat hunter. I have zero desire to try racoon. Just me, but I don't hunt things I don't intend to eat. I suppose I'd make an exception if I was a farmer or rancher and had to go after some nuisance or predatory animal damaging my livestock or crops. But I'm not.

I did have to put a racoon down many years ago. Came across it while scouting. It was obviously rabid. Seemed the humane thing to do. (not to mention safer)

Why would a dog grab antlers? Because they're awesome? ;) My dog would use them as a chew toy if I let her. I'm sure there's a scent there they like that we cannot detect as well.

As far as removing the racoon? Hire this guy. :lolol:

[video=youtube;OP89pDTkgVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP89pDTkgVs[/video]

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah people don't actually eat them. They sell the skins. I'd say you COULD eat them but it would probably be really nasty. I've eaten bear and it was HORRIBLE! ELK on the other hand.... GOOD GOOD GOOOOOOD!

10. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The park is a small regional park and I don't think their are any regulations on feeding. I don't really know though as my wife and I have never worried about any rules when it comes to helping an animal. I'm sure in a lot of situations they could get aggressive. but the ones I work with it's just me and them and we get along fine. Tell your friend I like her already and I do the same as far as helping them, bringing them home, relocating them to new places and finding them new homes. I'm sure some of the things I have done to help an animal is not real legal but it is what it is and the only thing I care about is helping the animal.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, that story is something that haunts me to this day, because my wife loves to tell it and pick on me about it occasionally. I believe it can be spelled either way, but I'm too lazy for silent letters.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I probably should have elaborated. The antlers he brought back were definitely not sheddings. They looked to be someone's half-processed taxidermy. He had come home chewing a deer leg on a couple occasions, too.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm surprised he was still there when you went back. My dogs found one once, I could see them in the corner of the yard huddled around something and was thinking uh oh, what did they find, so I got a flash light and went over and saw the possum, which looked to be dead, I got my dogs to follow me inside and when I went back to get rid of the possum, he was gone, I was like son of a *****, they really do do that. I could just imagine what that thing was thinking surrounded by dogs, "ohhh ****, play dead play dead play dead play dead go away go away go away".

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I think the fact that he was a little shook up kept him there a little longer. I felt pretty dumb when I realized he was playing possum. :facepalm:

15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

ALVIN!!!!!!

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Doot. Doot. Doo Doo Doo Doot. Doot. Doot. Doo Doo Doo Doot.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well,

Coon 3
    Blast 0

:facepalm:

Tried the trap in 3 different spots all around the hole she is using to get in and out, nothing. Think the problem is it's too cold out now, might not be leaving the house. So tonight I moved the trap into the basement, was going to try and trap her in there. When I shined my flashlight in the crawl space to see if I could spot her, I saw something I hadn't seen before, couldn't make out what it was so I kept inching closer to the crawl space, still couldn't make it out, so I got something to stand on and when i looked back in, the Coon was blocking my line of sight, glaring at me, menacingly :mad:

I think what I might have seen was her young :eek:

Could explain why she keeps coming out of hiding like that, she's protecting them. So I'm not going to try and trap her, throwing in the towel and calling professionals. If she does have young in there, I won't be able to get them out if I trap her and they'll die in there, and don't want to take momma away from them anyway.

Have no idea how the pros will do it either but figure they have a better chance. I might be stuck with them for the winter until the young can go out on their own :???:

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    You are doing the right thing. If she has her babies with her you don't want to try much with her. She will be scared, angry and dangerous. In that situation she could easily attack and that would probably would not have a good ending. I did that once with a coon not knowing she had her babies and I certainly got the worse of that go around.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I had one deliver babies when I had her in the cage. I let them go but I'd say they died. Some of them died at birth. That mother was extremely aggressive too (understandably). I'd say it's better to just call animal control at this point. Then call a construction worker to fix your floor! LOL! There is also some like flea bomb stuff you can buy to kill those fleas that she caused to get in your house.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This coon is smart, she took the food that was spread around the cage but didn't go into the cage to get the food in there. Wouldn't have trapped her yet anyway, the guy wired it to stay open because they don't check the traps on Sunday. I'll see if she goes in tonight for the food inside the cage. Tomorrow the guy comes back to bait it again and rig it so it is set to trap her.

The guy also thinks she is pregnant, she's huge, so no young under my floor yet but they're coming.

I think what I might end up having to do is pull up the deck boards, get something to block the hole and then look under my floor around 3am and see if she's in there, if I don't see her, then go and block the hole she is using to get in and out.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Blast are you trying to humanely get rid of it? or looking to end it? I had a friend who had problems with a raccoon getting into her garage and they couldn't get it to hold still enough to kill it so I recommended the method talked about in the book where the red fern grows. I never did hear if she tried it. The book had a method to trap the coon and keep it in place until you can kill it. Take a log and drill a hoel roughly the size of a quarter into it about three to five inches then take a shiny piece of sheet metal about the size of a nickel or slightly smaller than your hole. then drive a couple of nails at angles into the log so the points come out in your holes. The point being the raccoon will be able to place its paw into the hole to grab the metal but once it closes it around the disk it won't be able to get it out because the closed paw will be poked by the nails but the coon's nature won't allow it to let go of the shiney metal. I have always been curious if it was a literary fiction or if it would really work

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't talk about Where the Red Fern Grows. I will start weeping. It is the d minor equivalent of literature. People weep instantly when they read it.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Humanely. I've heard about that with not being able to open their hand but with monkeys.

She'll go into the traps eventually, if they are hungry and food is there, they will take it.

It's funny, now that she knows that I am aware she is there, she's much more noisy. I talk to her through the floor, she never answers though.

24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Nice way to nonchalantly toss in a Spinal Tap joke/reference.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly! LOL!