1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone want some perspective

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 17, 2018.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was talking to a buddy. He is a life long browns fan.
    Last week I was bitching about the state of the season. He looked at me and said. When was the last time the Steelers weren't relevant? I said what. He said seriously, they are a playoff contender every friggin year. Since like 1992. Got me thinking. You know what? He is right. If they miss playoffs and they have. They dont miss much.

I cant remember every year but under cowher and under Tomlin has there been a year that anyone said they have no shot at playoffs?

Now they have under achieved. Under both coaches. But damn we are spoiled. I mean the all mighty pats cant say that.

I mean say that out loud. For the past 25 years, the Steelers have been top third of the league. Can any other franchise say that? I am asking

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I live in Bengal land. You should see the looks I get when I say that Tomlin drives me absolutely nuts and that I wouldn't mind seeing him shown the door. While the Steelers do seem to be in the post season hunt every season the team also lays head scratching eggs like clock work every year. It's one thing to stink against great competition and another to dominate inferior opponents. Mike's teams have a knack for doing the opposite.

3. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that is a league wide thing though. I will say we seem to do it more but the top teams this year have some head scratchers. Like last night.

4. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Yes, we are spoiled. Maybe the most spoiled fan base in sports.

That being said, the biggest problem with saying we should just be happy making playoffs for me is that we have an undisputed first ballot HOF playing QB for us now, and for not much longer. You have to make the most of that situation, because I lived through the 80's teams, and those kind of QB's are much more likely than not after Ben is gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I get what u are saying. I dont want to go back to cliff stout and mark malone. I not happy just making playoffs but u wanna know why? Because we make the playoffs. Look at most of the fan bases out there. Hell, look at all of them. The Patriots are now but what other franchise has been as consistent ?
    I mean the packers have arguably the best qb in football and are missing playoffs 2 years in a row.

We ain't a lock for them this year I know. I am not a huge Tomlin supporter. Less now than I was but when u look at the big picture. We will be in the hunt next year as well. I guess i am just saying it's nice knowing each year that the team we pull for is going to be right there.
    I read that in the last 30 years the Steelers have had 2 top 10 picks. Leads the NFL. I think packers were 2nd

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    1998-2000 was a dark time, IMO. Steelers missed the playoffs 3 straight years... which happened to be the final 3 seasons of 3 Rivers Stadium. Those years were sub-par, but little did we know at the time, Steelers were laying the foundation to championship caliber teams through the draft. Many of the draft picks during those years were on the XL and XLIII squads.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is only one true way to please the Steelers fan base, win the Super Bowl every year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah ,we are a bit spoiled ,but there have certainty been down years ,the 80's-early 90's were no joke ,well come to think of it ,the steelers were the joke .Ugh ,bad times in Steeler nation..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I dunno. Some Yinzer would still be pissed that we didn't score more points in the game. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't matter, we are who we are. Screw everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Even in the 80's we won the division twice but never had higher then a 10 win season. We even had a 5-11 year which thankfully is pretty much unheard of for a Steeler team in the SB era.

12. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Chiefs...possibly

13. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Welcome to the world of successful expectations

• Like Like x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I go to Brazil for work a few times a year. Come World Cup time, fan expectations are over whelming, not only must Brazil win the Cup, they need to win every game decisively and do it with style and flair.

They might be the only fan base in the world more spoiled than Stiller fans, but the WC is only every 4 yrs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    oh lord no. they have missed playoffs 13 times in that time and had to seasons with 2 wins and a 4 win season

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be pleased if they made me part owner, yes, I will admit that!

• Like Like x 2