1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone play the stock market?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Mashburn, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm an active day trader. I used to make crazy fast trades to where it didn't even register. However I'm now learning how to play the wave with heikien ashi candle sticks and stochRSI. So i might stay in a trade 5-10 minutes.

Anyone else in the stock market?

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell No....I'm scared of it. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  3. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    By play, if you mean lose my money on OTC stocks....then yes I play the market.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm in the hole. But it was ignorance that got me there. I'm slowly coming out of it. Do you day trade, swing?, something else?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Swing? I don’t even know you. ;)

I just threw money at a bunch of gambles. Bought in quite a bit during the hype last year and paying for it now. :)

Hopefully one pays off one day. I have spent time learning more about it, but realized I can’t do that and work my day job at the same time. So at this point just holding what I have until something good happens.

But what you are doing sounds like something I would really dig. Like how it just me and my performance...with the best bonus being I wouldn't have to deal with people. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I am only doing $3,000 so %1 moves are $30. And I make a few moves each day.

I look for a stock that is having an obvious direction. And then i catch it when it reverses. When the hikein ashi candle shows its about to reverse, then i get out..... sometimes it's 0.3% sometimes it's 1%.

Today is the first time in 3 weeks it bit me. And I had it set to a 1% stop loss.

I'm still playing safe as you can see. But once i feel comfortable in a few months or 6 months, I'll increase the amount I'm putting in.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Very cool. Wish you the best and maybe one day I can do that full time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am throwing my free money into Bitcoin on my Paypal account right now with Bitcoin sitting at $20,000; I believe in the $100,000 coin.

I have spent Bitcoin both online and in real life, so it is the only form of crypto I would invest in. I also use Paypal for all my online shopping payments, so I don't think I have to worry about them just up and closing one day, like some of the other online companies holding people's money.

Made a couple thousand last year mining on NiceHash when the prices were insane.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    LUCK LUCK LUCK!!!!!! Was told about Janus Mutual Fund way back in the 90's. The Worldwide Fund was at 35 a share when I started letting them take money from my bank acct. Actually forgot about it for a few years. (yep, I didn't balance my checkbook in those days) When I finally looked it was at 95 a share and I had been buying for years at about 35 to 45 a share. Ended up cashing out at 91 a share. We had three additions put on with the profit.

I am in a TSP (401K for government employees) and years ago they let you move your money around every 24 hours. They stopped that real fast. I was jumping back and forth with investment. Made decent money but I understand why they stopped that. Way to much hassle.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    It's not that I'm scared it's that if I'd lose all that money there is no way I have the ability to get it back. I sure the hell ain't going back to work. Also, my son told me he'd kill me because he wants that inheritance:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I tried my best to understand that stuff. I even watched at least 3-4 shows about it but it's over this old man's head.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You ever need any advice, send me a message any time.

I'm with ameritrade so I have to keep 25k in the account in order to day trade. Without that amount you can make 3 day trade moves in a week, without penalties.

This week I've focused myself to just making $100/week. Sounds crazy easy, but it is good to teach yourself from time to time to take winnings when you got them. You'll train yourself on signs of several things. Like what is a good resistance level, what was rare it broke thru the resistance, etc etc.

Also with ameritrade you can repeat the day. As well do paper trading (meaning it's fake money). So you can train yourself that way.

My 2 methods are
    - put into an inverse like TQQQ and SQQQ at the same time. (Inverse means as tqqq goes up, sqqq goes down. And vis verca). After you establish a clear direction it is moving, you pull one of them. And that's when you start making money.
    - other method is looking at resistance levels in the last 15 minutes to a hour. watching your StochRSI. If its a day you feel is going to be bad, then you wait until it's being over bought according to the stochrsi. Then you look at the heikenashi candle sticks to go red. Then submit the order with stop loss slightly above the previous resistance level, and put in at the lower resistance level a stop limit.
    - - as you learn take your winnings.... again, always take your winnings.
    - once you've learned then you can watch your heiken ashi candle sticks and after it's moved thru 2 complete candle sticks, then you'll move your stop loss to that of the previous heikenashi candle stick. And if it continues to do another candle in your favor, then you move your stop loss down. (All that is done with no stop limit).
    ^^^^ if you need me to do a video, I will.

Do that with $5,000 and just pull in. $5-$25 moves (without riding the candle). If you watch it all day, you'll have 10-20 moves..... for instance today I had one loss of a couple bucks (i knew it was coming and moved my stop loss to go ahead and get me out). And then about 10 moves of winnings.

If you want to stay at that level, cool! And then after you seen how it is for a month, you increase what you are putting into it. So if you doubled then you are looking at $10-$50 a move.

$100/week is $5,000/year
    $300/week is $15,000/year
    $500/week is $25,000/year
    Etc etc
    As you get comfortable, you increase the amount you put in. And if you have 2 bad days, move yourself back to just putting in $5,000.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I used to do it, but once I tried playing it like the stock, i lost. There's no back bone in it in my opinion. But I'm very happy for you and everyone ends who has done it.

You should like at ameritrade And do paper money, where its not real money. And buy all new stocks going to come out. And put $10 in each of them. You'll have some that hit huge and you yank that money. The others you pull if it never goes off.

14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Nice! Chevron is probably my favorite real long time investment.

15. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This holds some truth for me. https://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com/fidelitys-best-investors-are-dead/

Only investment that ever worked out for me was ENPH (some energy company), years ago I had a few bucks left and just bought 200 shares at 3 bucks because that's what the dart board said.

Since I was actively trading and had already lost the rest of my money on OTC's I just forgot about that account.

I came back to look at things last year and it was 200 and I sold at 165 or so. ENPH is now like 280+ or so.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Energy just sent up again this year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I actually tell people who want play penny stocks. Figure out what you're OK to lose for the year. And divide it by 52. Each week look at what new penny stocks are coming out the following week. And put into them...... so if you're OK with losing $50 a week and 5 new stocks come out. Then you put $10 in for each stock. And set where you get notified when it hits over 200%.

Yes it's like 1:1000 odds. So in 4 years you should hit a big one..... and you think well that's a wash too get $2000, but you put I'm $2000. However putting in at the start, vegetal you stay around that area. And yes some go down, but others go up slightly. So if you wanted to pull it all when that one hits 200%, then you yank them all to where you'll be walking away with 3,000-4,000.

Also some of these I've seen break out to 1,000%. I have benzinga pro and look at who had the biggest percent gain at the end of every day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think I do better at gambling on football. 5 wins already, and No losses of money in college so far.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    There is that famous poker player who wears a cowboy hat with feathers. He said the exact same thing with anything in the stock..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I forget the big name trader. But he only invested into stocks of items he bought. He started watching people buy Johnson and Johnson soap, marlboro, etc etc. And then he just watched the store to make sure his products where still being pushed and then years later he look to see what it was (like @dirty did).

He was asked a couple years ago why he never did apple and his response was because he didn't have anyone in his family he owned Apple..... recently though his kids purchased apple products. So he now has stock in Apple.

• Like Like x 1
  21. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Good tips there.

I like this as well and I feel like I might have heard this story or a similar one.

• Like Like x 1
  22. hollymolly

hollymolly Member

Oct 15, 2022
    I wish i would. But i have no idea how to do that.
    Are there some good youtube videos or podcasts i can listen?
    At the moment i am listening podcasts and reading books about different marketing strategies for promoting the business, twilio slack and how it can help increase effectivity of the customer service.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd say the best place to learn if you're not reading market magazines is through Youtube videos. Have an open mind because some are amazing, and some are BS. I really haven't looked at them in years, so I forget which ones are on point to recommend.

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    The stock market is playing with my 401K right now. Thanks Biden

• Like Like x 2
  25. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Buffet made a 10 year bet with a hedge fund guy. Buffet put his money in an S&P 500 index fund and crushed the hedge fund guy. (they started with the same amount of money). He's one of the best investors of all time and he says put it in an index fund and let time and compounding be your friend.

• Like Like x 1