1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else about to throw in the towel on this season ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    [h=2]Anyone else about to throw in the towel on this season ? [/h]Not until the fat lady sings. She might be clearing her throat right now but she hasn't belted out her tune yet ;)

2. remote steeler

remote steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with the Never Give Up part but I do not see a fair comaparison with the 05 team. Yes that team lost 3 in a row late in the season but those losses were to likes of the Ravens, Colts and Bungals. Two of the three were playoff teams that year. Earlier in the season they lost to the Pats, Jags (they we decent that year). Neither was an embarrasment.

So far this year we have lost to Denver, Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore, Tennessee and San Diego. I can see Denver and Baltimore this first time around......but Oakland, Cleveland, Tennessee and San Diego. Not so good.

Maybe it can happen and I hope it does.....but this does not feel like it did in 2005.......plus we had Pimply Dan and that Beating Off Defenders thread on the old board. There was a totally different feel about that season.......like when Bus ran over Urlacher on the 3 yard line in the Bears game. That set the tone for the rest of that run.......plus a lights out D. Maybe if we see something like that in the Cowboys game a spark can be lit.

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    This to me is the biggest argument about not giving up on the season. The past two SB champs were not close to being considered contenders at the 13-14 week mark. Add to that Arizona in 2008. Now, those were all NFC teams, but the fact still remains: these days, you just have to get in the playoffs and then make your run.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bench foster for colon? are you serious?

adams,foster,pouncey,DD,beachum or adams,pouncey,legursky,DD, beachum. i'd prefer the latter.:cool:

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    totally serious Mac. I could ask the same of you about Decastro. Why would you put DD in when he has been out all year .. I think you have to stick with whichever personnel gives you some cohesiveness. This mixing it up all the time is not going to work anymore then running back by committee

Bman

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the big plodding guys haven't worked. i still think we have to get mobile at the guard spot to run it.:cool:

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that this team does not have the same feel as the 2005 team. I didn't say that they did. In fact, I've been saying in other threads that this team just doesn't seem to have the heart or drive to really do what it takes to win big this year. My earlier post in this thread was part my hopefulness as a fan (I'm an eternal optimist with a dose of realist) and part to add support to the point truckin9999 was making.

8. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How can you post a thread like this and then say " still hoping we win a SB". Come on man........................

9. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    The towel was thrown in when Tomlin came to town, a steady decline in performance since.

10. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

View attachment 234

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for that Super Bowl stuff of course. What a stupid post.

12. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Tomlin never took the Steelers to the Super Bowl, he went along with the team Cowher left behind. Another fan that slobbers everytime Coach Blank Stare comes to the microphone. What you see from this team this year you will continue to see under Tomlin, lack of improvement, all talk no action to fix and have improved consistancy, fans never knowing what Steeler team shows up. Hope you get a Tomlin FatHead for Xmas for your shrine.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    tomlin have small input on this team , it's like the players are self-managing , sometimes goes well but when there are issues they implode

14. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :applaud: I love comedy

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steve Mariucci was handed a SB 49ers team and never won one.
    Handley was handed a SB Giants team and was fired after 2 seasons.
    Ray Rhodes was handed a SB GB team, went 8-8 and was fired after 1 season
    Norv Turner was handed a SD team that was one play away from reaching the SB, never even got the team back to the championship game.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't often take aggressive stances against what other people post, because I don't like message board flame wars... but this post is just ignorant. Tomlin has been an extremely successful coach, and the whole "Cowher's team" thing is complete BS. While there were some players from the Cowher era on our recent SB teams, the majority of the roster had turned over - including the majority of the starters. I'm not blind enough to think that Tomlin has been handling 2012 well, but to credit Cowher with this team's recent success is just flat out ignorant.

17. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

OK, so you pointed out four other half ass coaches. Your point is?

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well if Tomlin is a half ass coach, how did he win a SB when these half ass coaches couldn't win when a SB team was handed to them?

Stay in the minors son, you're not ready for the big leagues :thumbsup:

19. Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    hell of a gifted blind squirrel, got his hands on a second nut too before slipping through his paws.

21. Dwinsgames

Nov 28, 2012
    maybe he lived in the side of a walnut tree ? ... they have been known to be slippery at times

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Just one question. Howz come Bill Cowher never did more w/ the teams he had? Cowher had Cowher teams for 15 yrs (counting the team he inherted from Chuck Noll) and ONLY got to the SB twice and ONLY won once. Tomlin had managed to do in 5yrs with Cowher teams, what took Bill himself 15 years.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Very slippery, it's been said that another squirrel was racing to hand him the nut before inexplicably dropping it, rumor has it that he ran into a hulking beaver.

24. Dwinsgames

Nov 28, 2012
    ugh hope it wasnt a blonde haired beaver , those are the worse kind

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011