1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody still want Richie Incognito on the Steelers?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 14, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After the NFL investigation came out today he's even a worse piece of crap than I thought he was. I never wanted him on the team let him go somewhere else and be a meat head.

2. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope. Didn't want him in the first place.

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Havent see the new report...but YES until I at least read whats come out

HACK

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    what a despicable human being

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    No on Incognito, and I am fine with our version of Pouncey not being here as well for a few reasons.

1. He's the offensive Woodley of the group (albeit without slumping after the big payoff) but brittle nonetheless.

2. We won't be able to afford what he will ask come time to do so and further have to justify doing so with his having produced little in the way of earning the asking price.

3. He's been made expendable at the center position by 3 different lineman the last 2 years. Which is why I thought he'd always be a better guard if in fact he factors into our future.

4. He's an asshat like his brother, but I guess don't have the common crimies to help embellish that fact... as does his brother (good for our guys). But the parading of standing by a p.o.s. Like Hernandez (wether friends or not the idea of the evidence presented so far is really overwhelmingly indicative) suggests that his morale and idea of reality is skewed.

Run him off I says

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I dont see how anyone could want him on their team

oh wait the self proclaimed smart guy does

9. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't want either of them.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just as I suspected.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I Love you brother! Lol!

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well said...

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I never cared for him to begin with. I read the texts exchanged between both players. Well almost all of it..

I found it very troubling and juvenile. These guys are acting like adolescents

Bman

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When I read only the texts between Incognito and Martin, I was kind of cool with bringing Incognito in on the cheap. After reading a good chunk of this report, I'm not. Things went too far, even for a rough and tumble atmosphere like an NFL locker room. I was particularly appalled by the treatment of the Japanese assistant trainer.

That said, I would't want Martin either. It's clear that he has his own issues that - in my opinion - make it unlikely that he'll ever have the mental makeup necessary to succeed in the NFL. I had my own experience (a lot) with bullying as a football player. In my freshman and early sophomore seasons in high school, I was relentlessly bullied by a few Juniors and Seniors. The bullying was verbal and physical. One time one of them ran at me and blind side tackled me at the knees while we were all walking out to the practice field. Another time a few of them encircled me i the locker room and snapped wet towels at me (which hurt when they catch you in the face). One day in my sophomore season, one of them (a star on the team) came up behind me in the hallway just after school ended, and started giving me "noogies" on the back of my head while calling me derogatory terms. I turned around and jacked him up against a locker in front of his cohorts and just grinned at him. When he tried to push free, I set my feet and jacked him up further and just kept grinning and didn't say a word. That was the last second of bullying that I ever experienced, and I became a good player - partly because I had stood up for myself and crossed a "hurdle" in my metal makeup. Based on everything I read, I don't see Martin as being able to flip that switch and move past a tough situation. His instinct was to run away. Martin sounds like he may be a great guy to have as a friend. Probably better than most NFL players. However, while he may be a guy that I'd like as a friend, I don't want him on my O-line. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Except that you were in HS, these are supposed to be adults in a professional environment and it's doubtful that Martin will experience this level of abuse again anywhere else.

I'm not really familiar with Martins skill level, but if he can play football, I'd take him on my team in a second.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly what people should do,
    hey they may get the best of you. but
    atleast you get your punches in.

I hope the Steelers just say no to both of these players.

17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    When I first read the text messages, it seemed like he was a little rough around the edges, but not all that different from a lot of other guys in the league. It seemed that although he rode him hard, he appeared to actually care about Martin as a teammate and a person. I would have taken him on the team as I don't think he would act the same way here as he did in Miami.

This report paints a different picture and after reading most of it, I wouldn't want Incognito on the team. A lot of what he did went too far and it extends past just teasing Martin. I still think he could probably be a good player and a good teammate in the right situation, but I wouldn't want the headache of having him on the team. I also think Pouncey is probably a lot like Incognito we just haven't heard about it.

As for Martin, the guy is far too soft. He was bullied in high school, he was bullied in college and now he's been bullied in the NFL. It's quite clear that the guy cannot stand up for himself. He's mentally soft and that's the last thing we need on this team. We've already lost a lot of our attitude and swagger, we don't need even more soft players on the team. I'm not saying bullying is okay or that it's Martin's fault, because it's not, but I want guys on our team who will stand up for themselves and their teammates. I want guys like Joey Porter and Jerome Bettis, not a guy who cries himself to sleep because his teammates were mean to him.

Bullying is never okay, but at the same time, if people learned how to stand up to bullies, they wouldn't exist. I'd rather get beat up every day of my life then be pushed around. Even if you get beat up, standing up to a bully will usually put a stop to it. Bullies want easy targets, not someone who will challenge them constantly.

18. SteelersGirl25

SteelersGirl25 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Goodness, no. Let the Browns or Bengals have him.

19. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Martin made the entire Dolphins franchise look bad by handling the incident the way he did. He should have played through the season, foregone the lawyer and talked to his coach about it first.

Who wants a player who walks away from their team mid-season?

Incognito is a moron. The Steelers line would be outstanding with good LT.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Blame the victim?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I know. Easy to say should of done this should of done that, but the guy carried that around for a long time, finally just broke.

I just love seeing a scum bag like Incognito fall so far, his career may be over.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Has there been any statement as to why he didn't go to the head coach?

I think it's going to be a tough sell for either of them to find a new team. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with either of them in my locker room.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I really like Incognito the player. And I truly believe there is someone "similar" to Incognito on just about every football roster.

I was in foxboro when the Steelers came in and whipped the Patriots in 2008. I can assure you a couple of the Steelers (namely Keyaron Fox) were saying things to Pats fans (men and women) that were completely deplorable. I didn't really think less of these players because of it. Its all a little tongue-in-cheek and being caught up in the moment.

I've sat in pickup hockey locker rooms and heard thing 10x worse than anything found in Incognito's text messages. Is any of it authentic and serious? Probably not.

That being said, its not like we have a HUGE hole at LG. We don't really need Incognito and I doubt the Steelers would bring him in anyways. He'll probably go to the Pats and make the Pro Bowl.

24. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I agree. I dont want either of them. Incognito for obvious reasons. Martin, to me, is just too scarred at this point. I dont think moving to a different team/locker room is going to make him forget all of the bullying he has endured.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Forget, nah. But assuming his new team doesn't pick right up where his old team left off, I don't think it would be a problem at all. I don't see the potential issues, unless someone on our team threatens to kill him or something (in which case, Martin is not our issue - a lesson I wish more people would have learned from the Incognito saga). I think some people are imagining that he'll sob and hold a press conference if someone whips him on the ass with a towel once.

To me the question is: is he a good enough OT to deserve a spot on the team? I haven't followed him closely, but I'm under the impression that he's got potential but has underperformed, not unlike our own 2nd round pick from 2012, Mike Adams. We've already got one of those. Not sure we need another.