1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody miss Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 16, 2023.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    When Steelers made the playoffs with Cowher, they usually were the #1 or #2 seed (with bye). Exceptions were '93 '02 and '05.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

I know all that but you can always back loaded that even after their contract is over just to keep the window open(with voided years)...Of course it's going to hurt for the Chiefs later, like in the 2030s for the Chiefs and in 2028 or something like that for the ravens but who care right now if you can compete for the super bowl during that time...I don't think the rams regret having been all in like crazy even if they paid the price in 2022 with a 5-12 record...

The key to keeping the window open is always going to be to be good in the draft and the problem for the Steelers in the 2010s was not Ben's contract but the fact that the Steelers had a major draft bust in 2013, 2016 and the Shazier's career was very short...If you draft well and your QB plays well, the window will stay open even if your QB has a big contract.The chiefs have right now the best defense in the Mahomes era(and this is not close) because of their draft!

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Of course we were... just like we were spoiled when Bradshaw retired, until Ben came along.
    Any team and fan base that ever had a franchise qb goes through this, unless you're San Francisco or Green Bay and have a succession plan in place

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Only every steelers game I watch. Also miss Hines outworking everyone on the field, Troy flying around, and Shazier keeping the middle in check. Actually I miss quite a few of the self-less GREAT players Pittsburgh has had in the last 20 years

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would love to see what Mason could do in "Big Ben's" vertical passing offense, not in the under 2 seconds passing offense "Old Ben" ran to finish his career.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Teams have different ways to manage the CAP, and the void years of course can help, IDK the exact details but even those are regulated so as to keep current players in the money scheme. I do not know the exact breakdown as the 24 cap has yet to be announced, but take the Bills as an example. On the projected CAP, their top 6 players under contract take up 50 % or more, the window certainly and be lengthened, but it still is going to come due.

8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Problem for the Bills in the last few years,their draft was not very good in the last few years and when this is the case,it comeback to haunt at some point, regardless of your QB's contract....The Chiefs have done a great job of rebuilding their defense and if they are able to find one or two good WRs in their next draft, they will still be in the hunt for the super bowl almost every year if Mahomes stays healthy

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    2010 Big Ben sure. Late career Ben not so much

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I wont dispute that, hell even the Rams with the down year came back this year faster than most..it not all expected. It takes all phases, the draft and player development is key.

• Like Like x 1
  11. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You are correct, but what you are talking about is mirroring the Rams, Broncos and other that basically kick the can down the road with core players, sign one year deals to free agents and try to patch a team together for a run. That’s all well and good but it’s just not how this organization works. Fly bye night teams can win, then the team eats dead money and lose for several years and actually pick up draft picks because of their futility. It seems to be the new thing where fans don’t really root for players or have hero’s, rather they just want a quick fix and take a shot at a Super Bowl. It’s really pathetic to watch, OBJ was on the rams sb team now he’s on the Ravens. Players really don’t care about the city or fans, they are carpetbaggers that are just trying to get a quick buck. Look at Tampa, they sold out a few years ago and are just climbing back into it. No one thinks of them as a dynasty, in fact people hardly remember they won, same with the Rams and Broncos. The Steelers will likely never go that route, they are very traditional in how they handle players and the fans.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

To be clear, if I were an NFL team, I would never go all-in like crazy like the Rams did(traded almost every draft pick they had!) even if it worked for them... Because it's too risky, a lot of pressure since if you don't win it's ugly

But I have no problem manipulating the salary cap, it can be done quite easily but of course the draft will always be the key, since you can't keep everyone but if your QB is really special and you draft well, the window is going to be very big for a long time even if your QB has a big contract

13. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    And try to imagine if we won a SB, then went into the tank for 3-4 years! You think for one second this team’s fan base would not lose their ****? You think they would be like “We won it a couple years ago!” NO! Fire everyone and get rid of the gutless worms! “If we had Noll back this wouldn’t have happened!” “Thats what happens when you follow the Rooney Rule!” “He managed to screw up a great team!” “I don’t care how many times they go.500, they suck and we get to watch our players win on other teams!” Most of them are just stupid and don’t understand the way the league works but it’s still there and the ownership probably does not want to hear that and do not want to tank for years and let people pay their hard earned money to watch a losing team for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #7 stunted Steelers rebuild, milked as much money as he could
    out of Steelers. Shame on them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As I said in another thread he is my new Tom Brady. Knowing he is in our Conference along with some other top tier QB's makes things look bleak for awhile. We shall see.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Correct - and then CHOKED as BIG FAVORITES!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

said this earlier today - he is GOAT #2 if he rides to the SB and wins again......

but I think the RATS D will have something for him......

we won't sniff an AFCCG for years, many many years.........

not w Lamar, Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, and several others WORLDS ahead of where Tomlin and Co. are.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    How can you miss him?
    I don't believe he has gotten smaller!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    There’s some truth to that, but the front office could have said no. Obviously some yinzers heads would have exploded, but forcing him into retirement like Hines and Troy would have been preferable

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Restructured his contract in 2021 to create more cap room by taking a $5M cut, so . . .

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I miss Farrior more than Shazier. That guy was one hell of an ILB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Never take as granted when you have the stability at the QB position for very long

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not really!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If Ben had driven the Steelers that last drive in Super Bowl XLV to a win, you could say he had the perfect career. That game still eats me up when I think about it. Because I thought they were gonna drive down the field and win it all.

• Like Like x 1