1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody miss Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 16, 2023.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Yeah, why listen to 2 Hall of Famers that actually played the position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I guess I have higher expectations then winning more then 50% of your games. Playoffs wins and super bowls are what we should expect and I don't see Tomlin getting there in the next couple of more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats different conversation though. I think we all want that but there’s been this longtime narrative how Tomlins teams would be bottom dwellers without Ben and that hasn’t been the case.

They weren’t doing those things you mentioned even with Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Agree that they weren't getting those things done even with Ben in latter years, and that's shows how bad were under Tomlin even with guys like Ben, Bell, Brown, Pouncey. how bad were we in the last few playoffs against the Browns and Jacksonville.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    stop paying a guy a huge contract ---make him earn it in incentives by what he accomplishes. If he doesn't do good draft someone else because even with high money they don't do good always

• Like Like x 1
  6. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    That sounds all well and good, but it's a guarantee you'll never sign one good free agent, and probably not even be able to sign the guys you draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    yes, I know it would never happen, but it would be nice if if it did.

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm realistic enough to realize we'll won't find someone "as good as" Ben, because that's a tall order and very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

But my point was that our 3 current QBs COMBINED aren't even in the same zip code as Ben's dust... when he was "on the decline". Yet we have "the future" and "the second coming" as 2 of them right now :facepalm:

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Unfortunately we are looking like we have 3 QB's who won't be in the NFL in 2-3 years at the moment. This position group needs to be fixed and fast.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Bet you watched the one where Bradshaw showed his nekkid arse!:roflmao:
    As long as you didn’t rewind, all good!

11. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Of course, I miss pouncey, DeCastro, AV, the big ragu, AB believe it or not and MB

and on D VW and Tuitt, they were a big part of our D

but were not that far behind, KP needs a good coordinator to guid and let him do what he does best, we’re a good draft and rehauled coaching staff away from getting back in the mix

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I’ve said it for years and years and years now. It’s still true. You know if he came off the couch right now, off the couch mind you, and went in, we’d have a shot at the win. Deep down everyone knows it whether they admit it or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My favorite was Fathers Figures. I liked when he was throwing the football around with Owen Wilson and Ed Helms.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Imagine if all sports paid all new players the same starting salary and the way you earned extra was through incentives. I'm not sure that would work??? May be a lot of back stabbing and F the team and be all me me me. Oh wait, I think that is happening anyhow;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Bottom dwellers of what? Lets see where we end up in the division this year. Could be a delayed reaction the way things are going. JMO>

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Our offense has been a joke since at least 2021, since Ben was very limited...They are also a bottom 5 offense since Ben retired

If it wouldn't have been our luck in close games since 2021, our record would have been one of the worst in the league...They have a points differential of -57 this year, -38 in 2022 and -55 in 2021..Usually when the differential point is poor, the record is also poor, unless you have an incredible record in close game and sometimes you need luck for that

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Short answer to the OP is yes, I miss Ben. The guy left it all on the field every game he played. He had his warts like every other player, but he was a winner. You can't teach or coach the determination, talent and will to win that he had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i am not sure - this OLINE sucks. well, let's say the SYSTEM sucks - the coaching sucks - teams KNOW what we are going to do. Ben would get MURDERED. he would have ZERO success as QB here today, ZERO. now - could we gring out 13 pints a game, maybe 19 - well, maybe. Ben could maybe manage that, with this system.

but NOW - the D is blown to pieces, unable to stop Alabama or Georgia at this point!

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Big Ben had plenty of his own issues. Aside from the rape stuff, he was constantly making passive aggressive comments about his teammates.

Why can't this team just play football, play hard and shut their mouths. It's not that hard. Tomlin has killed the culture on this team. Cowher wouldn't have allowed any of this stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree it was the Ben of 2018 and earlier that we had the confidence and swagger. Post elbow injury and surgery he wasn't the same. We can blame it on the OL, but he didn't have the zip in the ball he had previously. His throwing motion changed and there was times it looked like he was shot-putting the ball the way he put his shoulder behind it as opposed to a smooth rotation as the game went on.

Early in his career he was the gunslinger that made the impulse plays no one expected, but as his career went on most defenses were ready for some of those plays. Can't be ready for all of them, there was not way to be ready for every street ball play he would make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The fact is his record plus having his team in contention every year without Ben doesn’t fit the narrative that he would be nothing without him.

22. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree about the "sameness", but the dude did throw 33 TD's the year AFTER his elbow injury/surgery, so there's that. Can't see any of our QB's throwing 33 TD's combined in 3-4 seasons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And a lot of no playoff wins with Ben

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Or his not so good Ben was as well

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I miss the Roethlisberger from 2004-2011.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1