1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Got A GoPro?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by blountforcetrauma, Feb 14, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was thinking about getting a GoPro camera and was curious if anyone else had one. I'd just like to have some advice on what might be a good one and how much I should spend to get one. I just think it would be kind of cool to take them to comic book conventions with me and take them on vacation with me and document my many adventures and things like that.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't have one, but I'll admit that I've contemplated getting one from time to time. It's just one of those things that I couldn't justify getting based on what would probably be very occasional use. There are tons of options, and even a couple knock off versions that are supposedly pretty good for a lot less. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...3f-20&linkId=5d7de26e8c17210db71c77768700dcf8
    The top result there is a good example. You could always try it out and return it inside the 30 day window if it doesn't meet your needs.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've looked at that one and one called an ENEK. There are comparison videos on youtube and really both cameras shoot really good VIDEO but GoPro actually reaaallly surpasses the off brands on AUDIO. Still I think it would be cool to have one for neat videos that you could shoot. I could wear them at comic book conventions and things like that. They say that generally the batteries last for about 90min. I could spring for one that's a little more expensive really because my wife got me a $50 gift card for Amazon for Valentine's Day.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Let us know what you decide - bought a new Tacoma in 2016 that came with a Go Pro mount on the passenger side upper windshield - but as I found out later, not with the camera. I take a lot of jaunts way out in the desert that would be fun to chronicle on digital video but I didn't know much about these new toys. Funny though, Cali outlawed the mounting of GPS devices on windshields this past year so not sure if the Go Pro mount is now illegal too. Weird thing about Cali is that everything out here is illegal except the one thing that should be labeled illegal.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say I'm probably gonna wind up going with the GoPro Hero since the audio is just so much better in every side by side I've seen. The crazy thing is that the Hero+ is actually quite a bit more expensive but the audio on it is actually much worse than the audio on the original Hero in tests that I've seen. The great thing about the Hero+ though is that it was Wi-Fi and bluetooth and I guess vids can be instantly uploaded or something and that would be cool for someone like me because I have no tech savvy whatsoever really.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And the "Go Pro Hero" would fit right in with your avatar ;). I'm into astronomy and have a few telescopes which is one of the main reasons I relocated from the light saturated LA out here to the desert. One thing I've wanted to explore more is astro-photography - my one and only attempt through a scope was back in the 90's when Comet Hale Bopp made its rounds and I crudely set up an adapter to hold my 35mm SLR Yashica using 1000 ISO film. It was a lot of work to sync the scope tracking with the manual camera settings but results were better than expected and back then you had to wait a few weeks to get quality film developed. Just saw an article in this month's Astronomy Mag that featured more than a dozen types of smart phone adapters for astro-imaging with a scope. The advantage is the lightweight aspect of smart phones vs full size cameras and the simplicity of the operation - with apparently many photo app upgrades available to mimic those of a regular digital camera. Hoping our built in TSF geek squad is standing by as I venture into these unknown territories.

7. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    We gave my son a gopro hero for Christmas. I didn't know anything about gopros and he is only 11so we got him the less expensive one. I don't know what the difference is from the the more expensive ones but this thing is awesome. The video quality is great and unless you have the waterproof door on the audio is good as well.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The only thing that kills me about that one is that it doesn't have the wifi and bluetooth stuff. If it had that one I would definitely get it in a heartbeat. Choices, choices, choices. LOL!

9. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Ahh... The wifi and Bluetooth capabilities are the reasons for the price differences then...don't let my son know they came with those :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So I got a GoPro Hero Session. It's really, really, realllllly little and totally waterproof without a special case up to like 30ft. I actually delivered it to myself in my UPS truck today. LOL! I didn't get home until late today so I didn't really get to mess with it too much in good lighting but I did get to take my car for a spin with it on the dash right at dark and it looks pretty cool. It's definitely gonna take some getting used to but I think once I get it down it's gonna be pretty awesome. There are tons of youtube vids showing how to use them so I'm probably gonna be digging in to those for a while.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's a little video I made after I took it out of the box. This is completely raw footage and it was getting dark outside but this is a little bit of a ride in my car with it on the dash.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Check out what I sent Mojave. I've gotta figure out how to use the actual GoPro Studio software. This is just from the "Quik" app that GoPro created. It's actually a free app for anybody even if you don't have a GoPro. It's pretty cool and I'd say with your savvy you'd be really awesome at using it actually.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Who Ride? BFT Ride!!!! Very cool. I almost felt like I was riding shotgun in your Mini (with one leg in the backseat, one out the window and an elbow in the glove box). Thanks.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! It actually has quite a bit of room. After church yesterday morning I went and took a ride but the adhesive stuff that came with one of the mounts is already not that sticky after just being used a couple of times so it's obvious they want to push the more expensive mounts. I'm gonna take it to work with me today and see if I can get it to work good in the daytime and try and figure out how to use the time lapse feature and stuff like that. I actually had made a longer video but the Quik app kept cutting it off and wouldn't upload it for some reason.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well like I said before - my 2016 Tacoma came with a GoPro mount already installed...so the only solution is for you to send me your new camera and I'll mount it properly at my end - no more loose connections - problem solved! :shrug:

I was so impressed with your 30 second ethereal video clip that I would have voted it for Best Picture over all of that crud they trot out at the Oscars these days. :thumbs_up:

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Good job! Does the GoPro not shoot in HD, though? I thought they all did.

Where you live looks a lot like where I live, but less hilly. You can just run over those Possums, you don't need to keep swerving around them so much.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Lol! Actually it does shoot in hd. That was in 1080p and 30fps but it goes to 60fps. The only thing is that then it doesn't allow me to view it on my phone to control it. I need the $80 keychain for that.

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This is how Spielberg got started (check out Duel) - we await your meteoric rise Mr BFT!