1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else dumbfounded on the amount of holes we have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes I would think all man would not be pretty against him. Reminds me of when I would play qb in flag football in gym class. I would just send everyone long with no intention of throwing the ball and then run it. It was fun while it lasted and I kept doing it and they didn’t let me play qb anymore. Oh well...

• Like Like x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You question things like a rookie NFL fan. Like a fan that is from another country who is new to the NFL.

3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    No speak English.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Good to see these holes being filled the last two drafts and barring injury/bust potential the OL seems set for the foreseeable future. Granted Daniels is on the last year of his deal (I'd really like to see him signed for a long term extension) and Seamalu having two more years left, there's at least some sense of a transition plan with McCormick.

Gotta hope Fields or Wilson pans out and so we can worry about the long term plan at DL, WR and DB. It's definitely a multidraft process to correct the wrongs between 2019 and 2022. Bringing in Weidle has been godsend. I dunno how we keep him for the long-term, but I like the foundation being built here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I really hope they can keep Weidl here longer; Weidl wanting to stay longer as well.

That said, if he so chooses to become a GM elsewhere... so be it. Cannot blame him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Thing for me is that I'm anticipating a similar year this year as the past couple. Probably will have some sort of losing streak in there, and finish strong enough to sneak into the playoffs and perhaps win one. But with that said, I'm more excited for the long-term trajectory. I'm already checking out the simulators to get an idea of who to watch this fall, besides the obvious Pitt games. Seems like a strong DL class, but who knows for sure.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You talking 2025?!

Got ya covered brotha!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yessir

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here is my way too early Top Positional Ranking for 2025:

1.) WR: Back to back?! No transcendent talent here and the depth isn't nearly as big as 2024 but this class can still prove to be special once it is all said and done. Luther Burden III though... is one hell of a WR to watch. Tetairoa McMillan is Johnny Wilson from FSU but supercharged from a technique and discipline standpoint; a true matchup nightmare for any CB. Emeka Egbuka from Ohio State is arguably the best route runner in the class while Isaiah Bond from Alabama may challenge Xaiver Worthy's legendary 40 time.

2.) EDGE: James Pearce Jr. from Tennessee spearheads the return of this position back to prominence. Nick Scourton from Purdue reminds me fondly of George Karlatfis and Landon Jackson from Arkansas is one of the more toolsy EDGE's to come out since Tyree Wilson. Thing is, Jackson is more developed. If anything, don't be surprised if EDGE ends up number one by seasons end.

3.) IDL: As you pointed out, a great incoming class here. Mason Graham from Michigan is clearly the big one but Deone Walker from Kentucky, Tyliek Williams out of Ohio State and even Jaheim Oatis from Alabama are either within or will be within First Round consideration.

4.) CB: In terms of the best of the best?! The best among the best for any position group; period. Travis Hunter leads the headways but Benjamin Morrison from Notre Dame and Will Johnson from Michigan are as equally impressive... if not more. Jabar Muhammed just may be the best Slot CB to come out in some time as well. After these four, along with Hunter, scheme dependent but this class isn't lacking in both size and speed; Tacario Davis from Arizona being a 6'4 Avatar himself.

5.) Safety: Kevin Winston Jr. from Penn State is more of a multi role Safety but possesses arguably the best range of any Safety in the class. Xavier Nwankpa from Iowa is a near carbon copy of Cooper DeJean but more refined as a Safety with far more man coverage chops and athleticism to boot. Rod Moore from Michigan just may be the best all around Free Safety in the class and Malaki Starks has some of the best coverage skills I have seen a SS since Derwin James. Major reason this group isn't higher is because the Corner group above them has players I have graded higher from their best of group.

6.) QBs: Quinn Ewers, Carson Beck, Shedeur Sanders and Jalen Milroe. The big three of the group though Drew Allar from Penn State may have something to say about this by the time the season is up. There is good depth here, such as Tyler Van Dyke from Miami or even Conner Weigman from Texas A&M but the talent and depth levels fall off hard after that imo.

7.) OT: Kevin Banks Jr. from Texas and Will Johnson from LSU will be great additions to any team. After them?! Some guess work there. Jonah Savaiinaea looks the part but is best suited for the IOL and Josh Conley Jr. isn't nearly as springy or seems to be as long as someone like RaShawn Slater or Troy Fautanu was. That said, some good options here but a far cry from the 2024 Class.

8.) RB: Finally!! A superb talent I can get behind since SaQuon Barkely. Ollie Gordon III doesn't have Barkley's elusiveness nor agility but he does have Barkley's Ball Carrier Vision, Play Recognition, Power and Instincts. Omarion Hampton plays faster than he is likely to time while being one of the 2025 Classes most electrifying players. Both warrant a Top 20 selection. For me though, after these two?! The drop off is massive. I do like TreVeyon Henderson but not to the same level of admiration as others at this stage.

9.) Linebacker: Depth wise?! Up there with the likes of IDL and EDGE. The problem?! Harold Perkins from LSU, Barrett Carter from Clemson and Shawn Murphy from Alabama are the clear runaways of this class. Danny Stutsman from Oklahoma does give me Payton Wilson/Troy Anderson vibes but I don't see nearly the same level of athleticism.. though his anticipation makes up for it. Keaton Wade from Kentucky is one of my favorite 'Backers as he has some of the best pass coverage chops among all LBs.

10.) IOL: Not only is the talent a major drop off from 2024 in a big way, even if accounting for someone like Jonah Savaiinaea from Arizona to kick inside, this groups depth is among the worst. Talent isn't too much better either. Other than Jonah, Tyler Booker is the best IOL of the bunch but the fall off after him is pretty bad.

11.) TE: *Whew*... just.. yikes! Luke Lachey from Iowa better have a season for the ages. Coslton Loveland can be argued for not just being better than Lachey but also possibly being a First Round Consideration. Thing is... his blocking simply isn't on the level that Luke's is. Beyond these two?! Very, very schematically limited players.... and I mean very, very scheme dependent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    We didn’t do anything…the Steelers did….I’m just a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeeblesAlum

PeeblesAlum Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2023
    No. I think we're good. I'm especially excited at the prospect of seeing a whole lot more of CA3 now that we have QBs who'll be able to hit him and will be on their feet long enough to do so. Let free agency go a month or 2 and we can fill holes then.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    There is alot to CA# being successful. Game Plan, Play calling, play design, coaching him up on beating press coverage, etc.

13. PeeblesAlum

PeeblesAlum Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2023
    Yeah there's also a lot to Harris and Warren being successful and establishing killer O line and a D that makes the other side go 3 and out are key. Now we're getting there. Reminds me of Franco Harris talking about when he came to the Steelers and saw the tough guys working out, Ham, White, Blount, Greenwood, Holmes, Greene, Furness, and he said man am I ever in the right place.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022
    This is where I differ from John Q Steelers fan/follower. Russell Wilson is a washed up has been, and he's been boo'd out of 2 consecutive cities now. He's at best a #2 NFL qb right now, nothing more. As for Fields, see Bill Cowher & Korky. Korky was a WR, and Justin Fields is a RB/Scatback. Both played out of their position. One way or another, Justin Fields is gonna keep being force-fed to be an NFL qb, but we all know better. You can get lucky & win a Super Bowl with a LOADED team (with guys like Korky, Fields, Trent Dilfer, etc and a good coaching staff)...but you can't win 2 or 3 or 4 of them.

The Steelers are not loaded, however, and our coaching staff is one of the worst in the league. Yinzers are excited because our record is 0-0 right now, but come late October, reality sets in & the focus returns from a Super Bowl to having a NON-LOSING season. This is what coaches like Mike Dumblin do...they make you accept what they want you to accept. By keeping Dumblin on the sideline, Artie II has hijacked this entire organization...and our hopes, our dreams, and the chance of #7 right along with it.

#fireTomlin

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You are simply "dumbfounded". I throw my hands up to people that are "dumbfounded" regarding what happens in the NFL. God gave you a brain to think and learn. Do some research. You have the most powerful research tool invented (up to this point of human history) to stop the "dumbfoundedness".

16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Do you understand sarcasm or using certain words to stress a point of emphasis? What grade are you in?

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I called you out on your foolish post. Dumbfoundedness is for rookie fans.

18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yep you got me. I am a rookie fan.

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Either you are a rookie fan or simply lack the ability to understand the multiple dynamics that it takes to run a successful NFL franchise. You tell me and others on this forum about your perspective.

I am an understanding and analytical type. I had my agreements and disagreements with people on this forum.

I am not the type of person who is genearlly dumbfounded by what happens with the Steelers and in sports.

20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    There is a lot I could say back to you but you’re not worth getting kicked out this forum. Good night Karen.