1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any rumors about Wallace injury?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Something just doesn't seem right about his drop off in catching in the second half of the season.

There has to be a reason he stopped using his hands to catch the ball. IIRC Plaxico had a problem with his hands one yaer when he was dropping them left and right.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What was he catching the ball with? How many drops did he have?

3. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    For what it's worth:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

Has him dropping 4 passes this year, out of 76 catchable balls, with a drop rate of 5.26 and good enough for 13th out of the 91 receivers they ranked. That's good. I know, I know, he just doesn't have enough heart, because he doesn't outjump DBs to catch every crappy three flies up ball thrown his way. He's so soft. Get him outa here.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    are there any steelers that you do like?
    Wallace is fine.....if you had 3 guys defending you....your stats may drop a little as well

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Real men catch with their teeth, obvs. This is why the introduction of face masks signalled the decline of real football.

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Is this really a thread asking if a rumor exists?

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sigh.....the man was getting double teamed on every play. He is fine. His getting double covered allowed AB to have an incredible season. As long as SOMEONE caught the ball, who cares who it was..

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly.

And when teams rush for 4 yards against us in the first half, and then pass every single play of the second half, people whine about how much Casey Hampton makes when he spends half the game on the bench...

9. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol:

10. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hampton cannot play 3 plays in a row. He hardly played running downs this year. The oline manhandled him and used him as a plug to block the defense. His good days are behind him. Teams do not run a lot when the Steelers d is playing it either. Ship him.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    When did I say he was horrible and should be off the team. I just noted his mechanics seemed to change toward the end of the year and I'm not the only to notice that. He seemed to cradle the ball more and let it get in the chest stomach area instead of getting his hands out there. Ben made some ****ty throws, but Wallace and Brown usually can bail him out. Brown made some sick catches down the stretch.

I was just wondering if he was nursing an injury a bit. I know he had the Hamstring late.

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    People have been complaining about him being a "two down" player for most of his career, and were saying he was washed up before he signed his last contract. I don't know about you specifically, but at least half of those around this/the old board are in that camp. My point is that people don't like paying someone to not produce, because they don't realize that you can produce by not catching the ball, or not getting open, or even sitting on the bench. Mike Wallace produced by drawing all the secondary's best players and giving Brown and Sanders single coverage against worse players. Remember when Baltimore would take out a receiver so they could block James Harrison with two tackles? Harrison wouldn't get any sacks, but he eliminated an entire player from the offense. When teams give up running against us (sometimes before the game), Casey spends more time on the bench. But he's a huge reason they gave up in the first place, and so he helped eliminate an entire dimension of offense.

I'm also not sure what OL you're talking about that manhandled him, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I'm watching the second Baltimore game right now, and he's making Matt Birk look bad enough to play for the Steelers.