1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any early draft predictions?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I heard the NFL Network guys talking about the two Devin's and they compared White to Ray Lewis (great leader) and Bush to Shazier (fast, all over the field).

If that is true, I would prefer White because this defense desperately needs leadership. I would be happy with either one though.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not that I am anybody compared to whoever said that, but I dont know if I would put alot of stock into those lofty comparisons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Agreed, just food for thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was strong on the Bush bandwagon a couple of months ago when he looked like he was slotted in round 2, but he’s really moved up in the eyes of the sports media. At 20... Maybe, but I wouldn’t trade up for him. I think White’s potential makes him worth pick #20 all day, but I wouldn’t move heaven and earth to go get him. My film assessment of him is that he’s a great physical prospect, but does not have the instincts to be a great NFL LB immediately. Maybe in a year or 2, but he’s no Roquan Smith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought Colbert said you don't draft for need. That championships aren't won drafting for need. If he ends up trading 3 picks for Bush,he would officially have mastered the art of talking out of his ass. He's been practicing a lot.....If you're gonna push that many chips into the pile,might as well push one more and try to get into the top 5

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Prediction: I have no clue what is going to happen.

I'm struggling to even make a mock because I have no clue this year. Usually 8 get a good sense of the top 5. Have no clue this year.

Based on Colbert's comments I think we draft a guy who may not have to step in and be "The Guy" in 2019. He seemed to lament the fact Edmunds had to play so much last year. If this is all true then I'm not sure we go all in for Devin White.

I still think it's Murphy or Savage at #20. That's assuming alot of other guys are off the board including Bush and Ferrell.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Another proposed trade was with Washington at 15. It said it would only cost us our second 3rd to move up the 5 spots. If realistic I would be comfortable with that. There would most likely be a very good player sitting there. It's possible Bush makes it there or Ferrell or one of the Iowa TEs. It's what I was thinking all along that 5 picks shoukd be the max we are willing to go. It gets awful steep from there.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Unfortunately I can't do a full 7 round mock as I simply didn't get the work done to watch guys that deep down this year. Probably have a really good read on about 100-120 guys.

As I do every year, here is 1 mock for what I WANT and one for what I THINK.

WANT

1. CB Byron Murphy
    2. LB Germaine Pratt
    3a. WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside
    3b. TE Josh Oliver
    4. EDGE Sutton Smith
    5. DT Daylon Mack
    6a. OT
    6b. RB
    6c. S
    7. ILB

Murphy has been my guy all the way an I'm not backing down now. My #1 CB and the best fit for the Steelers. Playmaker. Should overtake Nelson as the #2 CB quickly.

I have Pratt as a 1st round talent but I think he will go in the 2nd. He's not the athlete Bush is but may be as impactful. Due to his size and playmaking, capable of starting early.

Not sure if JJ Arcega Whiteside lasts until 3rd. But it is a deep class at the top. And I'm not sure if more than 2 or 3 WRs go in round 1 so JJ could drop to the 3rd.

We need a TE in this draft. We probably miss out on Hockenson and maybe even Fant. Oliver has great size and receiving ability.

Sutton Smith may never play in the NFL but he could also be a pro bowler. Terribly undersized. But incredibly productive and can really run the arc.

Day Mack is a 3-4 NT through and through. Incredible powerful and stout.

Probably would have liked to take a S earlier but I really liked the choices above the pick. The S class isn't all that deep either unfortunately.

THINK

TRADE with Miami

To Miami:
    Picks 20, 66 and 122.

To Pittsburgh:
    Pick 13

1. TE TJ Hockenson
    2. CB Rock Ya Sin
    3. WR Andy Isabella
    5. RB Justice Hill
    6a. ILB
    6b. S
    6c. EDGE
    7. EDGE

I think we miss out on both Devin White and Devin Bush as both are gone by 11.

TJ Hockenson would be a favorite of Big Ben and Colbert. Miami would be looking to move down to stockpile picks. We get our TE in the mold of Heath Miller. How many TEs have been taken in front of us since Heath retired? Some have Hockenson as a Top 10 pick but I'm not buying it. Once we realize we missed on the top 2 ILBs we pull the trigger on our TE.

I'm hoping the Steelers would then take a guy like Pratt in round 2 but I think Rock Ya Sin will be available and we take him there. NOT at #20.

We had a visit with Isabella so there is interest. I was torn between him and David Long Jr of West Virginia. We have to choose between WR or ILB.

Justice Hill would reunite the 2017 Oklahoma St offense.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just noticed I don't have any WRs in my mock for the first round. I really don't think DK Metcalf has first round written on him and I just think the others are solid, solid, second rounders. Hakeem Butler would be the only one I see going in the first. I just fell in love with too many lineman this year.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm kind of interested in how Mayock does in his first draft as GM. With 3 #1s no less.

• Like Like x 1