1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance that Shelton will be available for the Steelers?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Romans5:8, Jan 20, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    According to Charlie Campbell from walter football, Shelton looked good today:

Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton used Wednesday to validate his hype as one of the best prospects at the Senior Bowl. He was in dominant form in the pass-rushing one-on-ones; none of the offensive linemen could block him. Shelton repeatedly used his bull rush to earn wins over Duke guard Laken Tomlinson, Florida center Max Garcia and Marshall's Chris Jasperse. There was one play where Tomlinson had a nice recovery after Shelton achieved some penetration, but on all the other reps, Shelton was getting to the quarterback marker. After that one rep where Tomlinson did decent, Shelton came back with a furious rush of power to rock Tomlinson back, a swim move to toss him aside and speed to collapse the pocket. It was a very impressive rush that showed teams everything they could want in terms of power, speed and hand usage. Shelton's dominant period will help to validate his high draft grade.

Nate Orchard was good today as well and Kikaha was a beast according to the same report.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't watched the Weds practice yet, but Kikaha looked nice in coverage for a college DE in the Tuesday drills. He then looked pretty good to me pass rushing, especially with his use of hands to disengage. I am looking forward to watching Shelton's Wednesday tape to see if he really looked better to me. I was underwhelmed Tuesday. Orchard is also on my radar, and didn't do much for me Tuesday, so I want to see how he looked Wednesday.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    are the practices on nfl network?

nevermind, seen the listing on nfl network. I'll have to catch it tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Shelton had a good day in one on ones. Carl Davis did, too. Take a closer look at him to anyone looking at defensive lineman.

While the top tier defensive linemen win the majority of these one on one matchups, it should be noted that they should. By design these drills favor the defense.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I still haven't watched the Wednesday practice, but the guard from Duke (Tomlinson?) impressed the heck out of me in Tuesday's 1 on 1's. As TTF said, that drill favors the defense, and he more than held his own against all comers. We're probably talking about a 3rd or lower round pick who can be a quality starter in the NFL in a year or 2.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should've kept Josh Mauro and Nick Williams around for the future, now there's no depth.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Mauro was signed to the Cardinals active roster and Williams to the Chiefs active roster. Nothing Pittsburgh could do.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Not quite true. Long before Mauro was poached, we could have cut Cam Thomas and signed Mauro to the active roster. Many of us complained that Thomas was useless when he was signed. It should have been obvious to the coaches a few weeks into the season that we were right, and they could have, and should have, made that move.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    shoulda, woulda, coulda. Like I said, Pittsburgh couldn't do anything after they were signed by other teams.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i whould have cut thomas in camp saving one milion

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Right, because they (stupidly in my opinion) left Mauro vulnerable to poaching. My point is that they managed the roster poorly in favoring Thomas over Mauro (and also Hubbard over Wesley Johnson IMO as well).

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Exactly, and now we still have holes at both positions. Where we could be focusing on OLB and DB depth, we're also looking at DL and to a lesser extent, OL when we already had guys in our grasp that had a great chance of contributing.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree wholeheartedly with the poor management. I definitely wanted to keep those guys in the system.

I doubt John Mitchell would get rid of the vet Thomas for an UDFA (Mauro) and the project that was Nick Williams. If Mitchell had any say in it, that is. If they had cut Thomas, we would have had McClendon, 2 rookies, and Williams coming off the IR.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Caught the 1 on 1s today for Senior Bowl. Tomlinson really stymied Shelton.

Nate Orchard continues to impress though.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They could've put them on the active roster, thinking long term they will need some DEs in the future. Instead of wasting a roster spot on Landry Jones who will never play. I would rather have Mauro over Cam Thomas going forward.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, I liked Josh Mauro and had him in my mock last year in the 6th. It sucks. They could cut L Jones and Thomas right now and I would fine with that.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It's funny… I'm starting to get ticked off all over again for Mauro and Johnson as I read this thread. When I think of needs to be addressed, 1 is a 3rd DE to develop behind Heyward and Tuitt and another is a versatile offensive lineman, particularly one who has proven himself at LT at the collegiate level and has the requisite footwork to do it in the pros. We had both potentially covered with those two guys.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for that my biggest problem with the f.office/coaches ,is the talent evaluations

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I do believe we can salvage two out of the futures pickups we have here in kruger and hemmer. conrath may be a nice project too. I'm not sure if we still have the rights to geathers now. I liked what I saw from hemmer last year in preseason and hopefully he's built on it for this year. kruger has some capability too. I don't think the backup cupboard is that bare.:cool:

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The more I see of Shelton, the more I think 1) he'll be long gone if we pick, and 2) if he somehow makes it to #22 he may well be the BPA by a solid margin. He looked much better in day 2 of the practice in 1v1 drills, and was immovable in the 9 v 7 run O vs. D drill. Completely immovable. I also heard Mayock talk about how he is an academic all american, and even taught a class this past fall. I need to watch more of his game tape from Washington.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Guest: why are you saying now that they could draft a nt high?
    Ray Fittipaldo: Shelton would be more than a nose tackle. He would play 65-70 percent of the snaps the way Poe does for the Chiefs or the way Wilfork does for the Patriots. I would never draft a nose tackle who plays only 35 percent of the snaps in the first round. If you get a guy like Shelton you plug him in and find room. Look at what the Ravens do with their front. They build from the front four out. That's how they win. Plus, I already mentioned McLendon's contract situation. He's only signed for one more year.

An interesting comment from Fittipaldo on his post-gazette chat. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-chat-transcript-1-26-14/stories/201501260156

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is fair enough I just don't think Shelton is the best DT to do those things with .IMO Eddie Goldman from FS is a better player .

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Description from walter football:

[​IMG] Eddie Goldman, NT, Florida State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 313.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.34.
    Projected Round (2015): 1-2.

1/31/15: During the 2014 season, a source close to the Florida State program told me that the Seminoles feel that Goldman was their best defensive lineman. Goldman is big, strong, quick and disruptive. He has enough speed to get pressure as a pass-rusher while being very stout at the point of attack.

Goldman racked up 35 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four sacks and a forced fumble in 2014. He came up with a huge forced fumble against Clemson when the Tigers were deep in Florida State territory about to kick a chip-shot field goal for the win.

8/23/14: With Timmy Jernigan leaving for the NFL, the Seminoles are counting on Goldman stepping up in 2014. Goldman broke into the starting lineup in 2013 and picked up 19 tackles with three tackles for a loss and two sacks. The sophomore was also suspended for one game. Goldman does a nice job of maintaing his gap in run defense and holding his ground. He needs to improve his pass rush, but he has a good skill set with upside to elevate his play.

Goldman saw brief time in the defensive line rotation as a true freshman in 2012. He made eight tackles with a tackle for a loss. Goldman was a five-star recruit coming out of high school, and the Seminoles believe he could develop into a special player. Goldman was buried by a veteran group, but should play more as a junior.

Intriguing, I'll have to look into him some more.

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. I respectfully disagree with Ray. Goldman is an every down player.