1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance that Shelton will be available for the Steelers?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Romans5:8, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Danny Shelton, NT, Washington

I like what I see. I think I'd like to see more of him but in a Steelers uniform :)

I just don't know if he'll be around when we pick.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Prepare to be flamed...lol

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I would be pretty surprised if he was available.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :scratch:

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know what flaming is, but that would be a waste of a pick. I don't understand people mocking us a NT. Same thing last year with Nix.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Urban Dictionary has a good definition:

"An online argument that becomes nasty or derisive, where insulting a party to the discussion takes precedence over the objective merits of one side or another."

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    ??

In the past, people have been blasted for proposing this

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No they haven't.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i like shelton but we haveother pressing needs , depends on free agency , but if we don't take a pass rusher in the first , by our pick in the second round the best will be gone ..

11. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well...the Steelers don't tend to draft by need but rather best available player, as far as I can tell.

From a need standpoint, I wouldn't necessarily want a NT either. Many of us want a shut-down corner or play-making safety, but how often do the Steelers take a skill position with their #1? Most likely they will draft OL, DL, or LB. If they decide to draft DL, I would be very happy with Shelton (as far as I can tell at this point). Dominate 3-4 NTs are a rare breed and I think he might help with pressure up the middle as well.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't yet watched the necessary tape to comment on Shelton in particular, but when I look at players available when it's time to pick I ask the question "how much of an improvement will this guy be over what we already have?" and compare the answer to that question to the same answer for the other guys that I have rated similarly on my board. Shelton would have to be a damn good nose tackle for me to give him the best answer to that question when considering many other players that I expect will be available at pick #22. McClendon isn't great, but he's pretty far from being problem #1 with our current roster. For me to want Shelton at #22, I'd have to watch him and say "he can be as good as Vince Wilfork." I'll eventually get around to watching him.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like Shelton and wouldn't totally be against this if we were to lose one of our other two NT's. mac and his shoulder injury not coming around would be grounds for a move like this, but we won't know until probably after the draft if the surgery went well. we can't just depend on McCullers even though I think he can be a good player for us, but his stamina is still a question mark without another on the roster. I hate when we keep 3 NT's so if it's going to be done the third guy has to be able to go to DE when needed. is that mac? good question.:cool:

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No thanks.

A) McLendon does a better job than he gets credit for

and

B) Are people giving up on the Mountain already? He's progressing nicely.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    carl davis is a high motor big man that could fit the bill as a part time NT and part time DE. he's from iowa. he has some intelligence about him it seem like and gets after it. he can hold his ground well and is pretty active in pursuit too. he could probably be had in the late 2nd or 3rd rd. I think that may be more of the type we target. a guy that can play both position at a high level. much better than cam Thomas. 6-5 321 5.09 with some strength and brains. sounds and looks like a steeler. already looks good in black and gold.:smiley1::cool:

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Since when does Mc have stamina issues? He just needs to be able to fight that cut block and stay on his feet. I thought high motor was one of his pluses? Staying focused was a knock coming into the draft, but he's surprised the whole team.

I'm trying to look at spme players from smaller schools that may fit what the Steelers do. So far my eye is on Zach Hodges. Got the size and great arm length. Might need a few more pounds though. Haven't seen too much tape on him, but what I have seen looks promising. Plus the kid's from Harvard! Granted he was a double major in Government and Philosophy, but he's got to be a semi-smart player!

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Guess you missed those comments...no biggie

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    McCullers knock was not staying low or playing to high the more snaps he is in the game or as he tires.

I've watched some of hodges tape and yes smart but just something missing in his game. his lack of toughness or wanting to impose his toughness and will to make plays seems lacking to me, and that's against ivy league players. I question how much less we would get against NFL talent. brains he has, physicality seems lacking.:cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagreeing doesn't necessarily mean flaming.

I think taking a NT in the first is a wasted pick. Is that a flame?

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    After our three starters we have nothing. McCullers could spell McClendon periodically, but we need someone to be a GOOD Cam Thomas, someone that can come in at all three spots and succeed. If Thomas is still on our roster for training camp our DL depth is toast.

While I want a OL, OLB, or DB before another DL, there isn't much downside to bolstering our DL.

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would take a look at Melvin Lewis NT Kentucky in the fifth

22. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with that...and no, just sharing your opinion

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not to say this is the be all end all (or even important at all), but Shelton looked pretty pedestrian in his 1 on 1 drills on day 1 of the Senior Bowl practice. If I didn't know who he was, i would have written him off as a late rounder at best. I still have to watch his real game film, and that's 80%+ of the evaluation for me, but my first look was pretty blah.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have seen him play like that before also elvis. one time he looks like he can't be stopped and another game he's as average as they come. cam heyward did some of that at Ohio St. too from time to time.

brown from texas looks pretty stout as a NT. I still like davis from iowa as a part timer in that role though. much better than cam Thomas at either spot.:cool:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good to see nate orchard participating, I thought for sure he bowed out for some reason.