1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antwaan Randle El set to retire

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Edson Cardona, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Edson Cardona

Edson Cardona Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Somewhat surprising. I'm sure he could fill a backup role somewhere in the league. There are some pretty awful receiving corps out there.

If he does, I hope people don't just focus on his being "in the way" of Emmanuel Sanders and remember what a great player he was during his first stint here.

3. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Best of luck to him on whatever he does next. I'll always remember his PASS to Hines in XL. He always seemed to come through when we needed him :applaud:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it would be pretty stupid of anyone who feels that way and doesn't remember his time here fondly. Thanks for all the good football Antwaan! :hello:

5. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, even though he was frustrating me in 2010, it sure as hell wasn't his fault. He was still playing his best and occasionally making great grabs and big plays, including a 2 point conversion in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, he was the obligatory veteran blocking the path of the much more explosive Sanders. It's all on the coaches, nothing on Randle El. Sort of similar to the way Mewelde Moore was occasionally used as a goal line back. You can't help but take your feelings out on him a little bit, even though it's not his fault.

He sure was an exciting guy when he was younger. Hell of a returner and runner, and capable of making big catches despite being small. And he did one other good thing that I can't quite put my finger on...

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Career passing stats:

22 of 27 (81.5% comp), 323 yards (12 yards per attempt), 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 156.1 QB rating -- the highest rating in NFL history for anyone with more than 20 attempts.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I always enjoyed watching him and was sad when he went to Washington. I worried they were going to ruin a good player. I wish nothing but the best for the guy!

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Moving to Washington was such a mistake for him. I guess that's all hindsight, though. Though I also doubt that he would have been utilised for the kind of gadgetry he was great at if he had stayed. I always liked Randle El.

That passing stat is ridiculous!

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy he swindled Dan Snyder, Why can't I find a gig like that?

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i liked ARE. he did so many things well. what an overachiever, even at indiana. enjoy retirement and thanks for the memories. :applaud: :cool:

11. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Loved the guy and how he could do just about anything they asked of him.

12. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks for the memories Randle El! One last time! El Ya! :yeehaw:

13. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Class guy and a credit to the Steelers.

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's extremely likely that he knew exactly what he was getting into, and did it anyway. Washington paid him double or triple what he was worth, and he knew it. He didn't go to win, he was collecting on a once in a lifetime opportunity. I value loyalty a lot, and playing to win, but every once in awhile something like this happens. His deal with Washington is actually my go-to example of a player going to a crappy team for the money and it being the exact right decision. They were throwing million dollar bills on the floor and he was lucky enough to be walking by. And he already had a Super Bowl ring

15. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You're right snack...the Skins showed him the money and he took it. Can't really blame him. He was a good role player for us and I wish him well!

16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Exactly... If you are only set to make a little bit more (relative to the rest of us working stiffs) and be on a perennial contender as opposed to still make a ridiculous over paid sum (think Wallace's situation right now) and be on a crappy team, then I bid you a fond farewell. Especially after achieving the ultimate goal.

I have heard people dis his contribution during his 1st stint with us and never understood it.

Great guy! I loved his contribution.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe ARE was a good lockeroom guy too. he was liked here. :cool:

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just an all around football player.Without him when Ben start to struggle and we don't when our 5th superbowl.

19. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    One early memory I have of ARE I suppose was in his rookie year, but it was during a pre-season game when they were interviewing Kordell Stewart on the sidelines with El standing next to him and he said, of El, "I like to call him 'mini-me.'" I remember a look on El's face (or maybe it was my own) that suggested that did not exactly feel like the greatest compliment Stewart could have given him (and, of course, El had the last laugh, even throwing a Super Bowl touchdown). Glad he came back to the Steelers for one more round. Best of luck to him!

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    $31.6 million mistake? he did ok!
    I always liked him too but we weren't going to pay him that. Glad he got paid and came back too.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He could've announced his retirement last year when the Steelers released him and no other team signed him, why wait he was done as a player.