1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CANTON STEEL, Oct 24, 2011.

1. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This guy is lighting it up!!! :superman:

How can we not be impressed with this guy?! He's making plays all over the place for us. Wallace and Brown both deserve more attention when talking about the top receivers in the league IMO. But since they're not 6'4 and don't talk trash for days they don't fit the bill I guess. Shame.

2. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Both of them deserve praise, but you are right, they wont get the attention because they dont act like the "divas" in the league. But I like it better that way, they talk through their play on the field. Brown is making a lot of plays and is open a lot more since the opposing defenses are doubling up on wallace to account for his speed (which is still not working). I love our receiving core, young and explosive. And they have a good role model in Hines. Ward might not be the young gun any more, but im sure he plays a big role in helping the young guys we have. He kind of has the Bettis role on the team now, he's a coach as well as a player.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I really like what Brown is bringing. Everyone talks about how fast Wallace is. Well he is. But Brown has acceleration that's amazing to me. It seemed like he went from neutral to 5th gear in 2 steps on that screen play in the first quarter. And he's playing with determination.

4. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah i noticed that as well. He has great acceleration. And he showed yesterday that he has great hands too. He has the tools to become a complete receiver.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess they don't do a lot of talking to the media, but...

Antonio Brown is one of the biggest show-off "pay attention to me" players in recent Steeler history! Every time he enters the end zone he celebrates before he gets there, even if there's a guy RIGHT on his ass. Every first down he acts like he won the Super Bowl, and most of the time he does it directed straight at the other team, not off on his own. And it seems to me like it's starting to rub off on Wallace, who has been letting defenders get close enough to touch him before crossing the goal line. Yesterday I noticed Brown toned it down considerably compared to the rest of his young career. I assume he finally got a talking to from Tomlin. I can't stand that stuff. I don't like the dancing either, but I can stomach it if they do it after the play. To do it on the 5 yard line is not only stupid and risky, but insulting to the opponent, the fans, and the sport.

That said, Brown is one of the best return men in the league at this point, and is more of a receiver than any of us expected. We had quite a 6th round in 2010 (Dwyer)! And although it's sad, it's also true that as long as Ward is around, either Brown or Sanders will be supressed. I still love Ward not just as a presence but as a real player. His abilities still have a role on this team. But I think it's time for his number of reps to drop. We need the young three on the field more.

And somehow the Ben/Wallace connection is still underrated at this point. That stat they showed on SNF in week 3 said that Ben's rating when throwing to Wallace is somewhere in the 130s or 140s, the best in the league. And it's only gone up since then. And you also know it's not high because the attempts are low, since he throws at him all the time. I saw on Sportscenter a few weeks back, they rated the top 5 QB-WR connections, and our guys were not even on the list or mentioned. I belive the candidates were (in no particular order) Rodgers/Jennings, Brady/Welker, Stafford/Johnson, Schaub/Johnson, and... I don't remember the last one. Either Freeman/Williams, Ryan/White, or Rivers/Jackson. Something like that. Anyway, I thought Ben/Wallace should be at least in consideration for #1, and they weren't even on the list...

I would be quite happy to add two new assistant coaches next year: Aaron Smith and Hines Ward. Okay, three because I still want Dawson for the OL.

Oh, and my attempt at replacing Pimply Dan and giving the board a new catchphrase:

We can only hope that before they retire, Ward and Smith rub off onto the younger men.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm so tempted to sig this. I won't. But I'm tempted...

7. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Wallace has dethroned Hines the number 1 reciever for this team. And its a toss up Between Brown and sanders has number 2 but im starting to like Brown a little more. :herewego!:

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol: :lolol:

9. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    At the end of last season I thought Sanders would be clearly ahead of Brown. But I think it 's the other way around now. To me Sanders is coming along ok but he's still struggling a bit. Brown looks VERY comfortable.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Sanders missed most of preseason with injury while Brown shined, so Brown inched ahead a bit on the depth chart and in the eyes of most fans, but I think when Sanders is given a chance he proves how good he is. I believe right now I have to consider them even based on what I've seen, but both of them still have much more to offer and more room to grow.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm so tempted to sig this. I won't. But I'm tempted...[/quote:2czbgcrf]
    I think he needs to change his MB handle. I can relate to his old name from the other MB, but every time I see HugeSnack, the letter "n" just seems to disappear. Are you trying to brag or something? :lolol:

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he needs to change his MB handle. I can relate to his old name from the other MB, but every time I see HugeSnack, the letter "n" just seems to disappear. Are you trying to brag or something? :lolol:[/quote:33vafx3m]

Hehehehe...

Either way, I give Snack +10 for having the board's first truly memorable line.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree. Seem to remember Wallace nearly costing us with that a few games ago. I don't get it. There is absolutely no need. The only time high stepping into the endzone should be done is if someone's parked a car there (a la Swann).

Love it.

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I think he needs to change his MB handle. I can relate to his old name from the other MB, but every time I see HugeSnack, the letter "n" just seems to disappear. Are you trying to brag or something? :lolol:[/quote:2au48obk]
    Yeah, and you're the first to catch me. I can't even wear regular underwear!

Haha seriously though, I think that says more about you than it does about me. :roflmao: