1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown or Hines Ward?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shadowmaker, Jul 20, 2018.

Who would you chose, Hines or A.Brown?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2018.
  1. Hines Ward

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Antonio Brown

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I kept flipping coins and each time it ended up on it's edge.

My vote goes to Hines Brown or maybe Antonio Ward.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ward will go to the HOF, he has more receiving yards than several HOFERs on the all time receiving list, 4K more than stallworth 7K more than swann a thousand more than Irvin and 5K more than Biletnikoff 3K more than ray berry, and only 600 yards less than Art Monk a thousand more yards than lance alworth, hines is ranked 25 on the all time list and deserves to be in the hall of fame..........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I agree withy Diamond...Hines will go to the HOF. He broke all the records set by the last two HOF Steelers (Stallworth and Swann) and won Super Bowls and MVPs...if he does not get in, it will be a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What are we basing this pick on? What are the circumstances?

5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Who makes the team better? Have to factor in leadership, if that's the case, and Ward wins that hands down. However, all things considered, AB brings to much big play ability to ignore. Hines could never do the things AB can, so I give the nod to AB, even though he is embarrassing at times. The plays AB pulls off routinely are mind boggling. How many times have you said, "No way he caught that inbounds" only to see on slow mo that he did? It's crazy.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This pains me because Hines is one of the greatest Steelers (both in his play and mentality).... however you have to take AB because he is just too superior as a player. AB is the best WR in the league. Hines might not have been top 10 in his prime (although he contributed in many other ways).

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Both receivers remade themselves through hard work and dedication..... Both had to be accounted for by opposing defenses.... Contrary to what some have said, I believe they will both be HOFers......... Brown is the better pure receiver, while Ward blocked like no other before or after him

I REFUSE TO PICK BETWEEN THESE 2!!!!!! ...... INSTEAD I SUBMIT A WRITE IN VOTE FOR LUIS LIPPS

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Nobody else has ever been the focus of the opposing defense in the way Hines was. It seemed like going into almost every divisional game the opposing safeties were talking about taking out Hines and yet in the end it was Hines standing over them more often than reverse. I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy something in the NFL more than I enjoyed watching him smile after big hits, whether giving or receiving. I can only imagine how irritating it must have been to the opposition.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn't in receiving capability, but that's one part of the equation.

Here's a question for the AB side. If we had a terrible QB and we were primarily a running team, would AB be willing to block all game and get very few quality targets? When the game is on the line and we do nothing but run it, would AB pout that he wasn't involved? Would he be willing to do the small things to win despite not putting up numbers? If we were a losing franchise, would he be a team player?

We know the answers to those with Ward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We also know that Brown is the best receiver in the game and he has held that distinction for years. Ward never came close. You're guessing at stuff that might have happened instead of talking about what did happen. When you stick to the latter, the facts, Brown is clearly better.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This post shows absolutely now understanding of how dramatically the game has changed since some of those guys played. Try again.

12. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Pretty easy for me, Hines. AB is great but comes with to much drama and the me me me attitude.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Really? Is this a joke? There not in the same orbit........ Love Hines ward but there is a reason that plex and wallace and holmes were the ones commanding the double teams..............

14. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    I am still thinking this is a joke............. Hines ward or antonio brown... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    hines ward personality with AB's skills lol

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Again, you only look at receiving abilities, nothing more. There's more to football than catching a ball. I'm also not guessing at anything, I asked questions, not made assumptions. With that said, we have seen signs of what kind of guy Brown is when things aren't going his way. Ward never complained about his role, he did his job and smiled the whole time.

I'll take a guy like Ward over AB all day long. The Eagles and Pats got to the SB and neither had a stud WR. The Seahawks won a SB without a stud WR. You can win in the NFL without a stud WR. That's why I'd take a guy like Ward over AB, he'll do the small things to win, he'll block like hell on all running plays and he'll make defenders hesitate

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    If your the GM of a football team and you took ward over brown you would be fired the next day...... Ward is not even a #1 receiver he was really our number #2. Brown might go down as a top 3 receivers of alltime. Ward is not even ranked in the top 50........... Once again it its not browns fault our defense stinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I love Hines. He exemplified what it means to be a Steeler. Brown makes every catch Hines could make with the addition of being a deep threat which Hines was not. Brown doesn't lay the lumber when blocking like Hines could, but is that even fair to assess? How many penalties would Hines have today for his blocking? Besides, Brown can hold his own blocking when called on to do so. While Ward is adored by the Steeler Nation, Brown is revered by the entire NFL. You have to be objective and, if so, Brown is the pick in my opinion.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ward has 14 receptions for 244 yards and 2 td's in the superbowl.

Brown has 1 reception for 1 yard, therefore

Ward> Brown lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Hines was the better football player.
    Brown is the better WR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hines is a SB MVP, Sorry Antonio my vote goes to Ward.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You asked questions as a rhetorical tactic. You were suggesting answers and all of them were guesses.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. You are saying that receiving isn't that important, so the lesser receiver is better.

Brown does block. He doesn't lay people out the way Ward did, but as somebody else pointed out, he'd be drawing penalties with many of those hits today. Brown is also a factor in the return game, something Ward didn't do much of outside of his appearance in The Dark Knight Rises. He returned one punt and eight kickoffs in his career. Brown has returned four punts and one kickoff for touchdowns.

I loved watching Ward play, but he simply wasn't an elite receiver. He was never considered the best in the game or even in the top five among his peers. That is how you compare players who weren't contemporaries. How do they stack up against the players of their time? Brown is clearly the best receiver in the game and he held that distinction for a while. He is one of the top five or 10 players in the NFL. NFL Network's Top 100 has its flaws, but it is still worth nothing that Brown was voted No. 2 by his peers this year.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Talent trumps attitude. I know that isn't the popular opinion or how we want things to be, but it is the reality in sports. Also, it's not like Brown does everything the wrong way. He works his ass off to be great.

I didn't always love everything Ward did, either. I was particularly troubled when he ripped Ben Roethlisberger for admitting he to team doctors that he still had concussion symptoms. That is what you are supposed to do. Ward's approach, that a player should lie to the medical professionals and risk permanent brain damage to play, set a terrible example. You don't mess around with concussions. Ever.

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think AB is far and away the better talented WR. He has much more god given athleticism. He is hard worker. So was Hines though. I think Hines did more with less. Hines was a better blocker. I think Hines was a better captain/leader type. Not that AB is a bad teammate because he isn't. But, if this was a hockey team, Hines would be a guy you would want to have the C on his chest.
    Hines had a energy that, he would work hard to get a great catch or play, it would make the rest of the team work harder to be better. It's almost like the team would feed off that.

Now with our current Steelers, everyone just seems to be in awe of AB. Well, I'm in awe too, but it's like they expect to be bailed out by AB every time. Most of the time (last season especially) he did bail them out, in games they should of lost.

I think each is great in their own right. But, I think AB will go down in the end as the best WR to ever put a Steelers uniform on. But, Hines is loved, he was a true Pittsburgh Steeler. Plus, everyone hated him, but you know you would want him on your team if you were trying to build a winner and most other teams fans would agree.

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    This.