1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Mega Thread (Was: AB is upset he's being fined by the Raiders

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree - hindsight is 20/20, so it is easy to look back on this and think we could have had more.

This board would have imploded if they traded Brown to the patriots at the start of all this.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You could have fooled me, because the Patriots got him for nothing. It isn’t the first time the Steelers foolishly gave away a player only to see the Patriots benefit. Remember LeGarrette Blount?

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn’t hindsight if you said it was a mistake to give in to Brown’s trade demands since before the Steelers made the trade as I did. I didn’t foresee this exact path to it working out badly, but I did maintain all along that it was a mistake and the current evidence points to me being correct.
    Yes, I would have been angry if they had traded him to the Patriots, but I said they shouldn’t trade him at all. At least if the had gotten a first-round pick it would have been a decent return

4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Yes its a dream job for a BS artist when you have an insane millionaire for a client, all you have to do is follow the TO or Charlie Sheen handbook of nutjobs R us.

If it was all a plan it might have been the agent assclown isn't smart enough and I don't think he is that good of an actor.

Imagine going from being the best WR in the NFL and just a few years later he is a walking talking joke can't see him not losing his mind sooner rather than later. Brown does not seem to do well in a structured situation and if Belicheck is anything its structured to the tenth degree.

If he becomes a model teammate suddenly I will be very suspicious.

I think even if he does keep it together (highly unlikely) I think he is starting to lose a bit of speed and he was not getting the separation he used to.

I am pulling for the Steeler's and everyone else except the team that shall not be spoken of.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, aren't you Bitchin'?

6. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I don’t see how keeping him was even an option. Look how hard he bucked when the Raiders cracked down on him.

I know that some feel like the Steelers weren’t hard enough on him, but look how the hard line worked for the Raiders.

Out of curiosity, say we would have kept him, what steps would you have taken to (1) heal the wounds he caused and (2) keep him under control moving forward?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    If I remember correctly, didn't Legarrette Blount quite halftime of a game cause he wasn't getting the ball

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Even though every team in the NFL disagrees, in my opinion the distractions a player causes don't impact their value.
    -----You 20 days ago.

Discussion OVER.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers would have never taken away his guaranteed money. Also, the Raiders are a team he never played for in a single game. It's not the same thing as the team he played for his entire career.

The players were already trying to heal the wounds. There is no way to guarantee he would stay under control, but given that the cap hit was roughly the same whether they traded him or not, the worst-case scenario of Brown staying and the team having to suspend him or fine him for not showing up was arguably better than having him on the Patriots.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be clear, that is at least the second time you told that lie. It didn't work when you misrepresented my point before and it can't save you from defeat now.

You lost the argument. The Steelers screwed up, weakened their own roster and ultimately strengthened the Patriots. They also got less than they should have for Brown. The real end of the discussion was the moment he signed with the Patriots.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The fact that AB ended up in NE is in no way the responsibility of the Steelers.
    We traded him to the Raiders and we can’t control what happens after that.
    To somehow pin this on the Steelers is just more of the Patriots obsession/ conspiracy theory nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Nope. Not a lie. Here are your words.

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm still so F'n pissed off I can hardly type. I've never been mad at the ORG or at what bothers everyone else. To let possibly the greatest receiver OF ALL TIME fall in the hands of possible the GREATEST QB of all time right in the time they're competing with us is inexcusable. AND if you're not as PO'ed as me right now consider this, Brady get this weapon on our dime. We're paying for it. When they shipped him to what has always been a clown show in Raider land they didn't know of this possibility??? Then, why did I know of it??? Devastating. T-H-E Worst action is what actually happened. It would have been better to be in out F'n division than this.

Stupid M%^$$#&^(! Son of $#@#%^&*

Tomlin, Colbert, Khan, anyone involved in the actual release and paper work should be canned. Just stop and think, what is the actual chance of NE drafting a player of this caliber in OUR time ? Think about that, AND they get him one year NO FRICK 'N RISK IN HIS FRICK'N PRIME?

Excuse me while I kill myself.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    He didn't have anymore guaranteed money with the Steelers. Not surprised that you're unaware of this though.

Well some people think that the Steelers should have made him play by withholding his non-existent guaranteed money that he had with the Steelers, and that would have made him abide, even though it didn't work in Oakland.

15. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Taking the guaranteed money was only one aspect of the issues leading up to his release. Both teams enforced disciplinary measures, to which he reacted to poorly.

I don’t see how the players were healing things. Brown was calling out Ben in January and February (even liking tweets about the rape case) and continued acting like a fool through April when he called out JuJu. I won’t highlight any other examples, but it was a progression of him acting like a fool. I don’t see how any of this would have gotten better by keeping him (and using suspension and fines as a means to correct his behavior). In the end, he would have kicked things into high gear as Steelers would have turned up the heat (look at the allegation that he even hired a “social media” expert to expedite things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Steelers traded him. They can’t control what happens after that. Jeez

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    A) you keep him and he's an enormous distraction and locker room cancer potentially derailing one of BBs final few years.

or

B) You trade him taking the chance he eventually end up with the Patriots.

There's no good solution, but I'd rather retain as much control over my destiny than to put it in the hands of a narcissistic malcontent with serious head trauma.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Stop talking reasonable to the unreasonable.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers opened the door for it to happen. Brown's issues with the Raiders weren't something the Steelers could control, either, yet we had quite a few posters on this board using them as evidence in the discussion. Either things that happen after the fact count or they don't. I believe they count. The trade worked out horribly for the Steelers.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's all speculation. It is possible to stand up to Brown without taking away all of his guaranteed money. The things we do know is the Steelers got pennies on the dollar in the trade and it all led to the Patriots getting Brown for nothing. Oh, and Brown will count more against the Steelers' cap this year than he will against that of the Patriots. Put all that together and the Steelers clearly messed up.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Look I’m not going to do this with you.
    IMO we did the best we could given the situation.
    Anything after he was traded is on the Raiders. That’s my opinion.

22. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    It's exactly their JOB to know of this possibility. I knew. Jeez is right!

23. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    You keep him and don't let him play. What's the diff? we're paying for him anyways one way or the other...

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Anything is possible.

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    So you bench him? For 16 games? Aaaaaaaand he accepts that and doesn’t cause a disruption in the media? On social media?

Or you suspend him? The CBA only allows you to suspend a player for 4 games, you know that right? Then he’s got to play.

And he’s on social media causing a disruption the whole time.

There was no easy way with AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1