1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown: Haley seems like a real friendly guy...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Man, this kid is just soaring to the top as one of my favorite Steelers. Besides being a talented receiver, he just has the best attitude, everything out of his mouth is spot on. Seems like a real classy bright kid, hope we lock this one up as a Steeler for a long time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... endly-guy/

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TE , i got this linked up on the..." a few noteworthy reads" thread already. it has video of him on rome's show. :thumbs_up: :cool:

3. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Brown is playing it cool, he knows that if he plays constantly and say;s the right things, he will have the big contract next year and play for a contender the rest of his career.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even Haley said his demeanor will change once camp starts. But I had heard his intentions are always for the best of the player.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I started to post that I beat you by 2 hours Mac, your initial post was from last night though, oops :doh: Thanks for the video feed. Very impressed with AB.

TTF, if you want to merge these 2 threads, be my guest. :hello:

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he's genuine, he's been this way since he got here. He'll be receiving a big contract no doubt, either from us or another team, this kid has the right attitude, helps that he's a damn good receiver too.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I started to post that I beat you by 2 hours Mac, your initial post was from last night though, oops :doh: Thanks for the video feed. Very impressed with AB.

TTF, if you want to merge these 2 threads, be my guest. :hello:[/quote:crr5u5es]

no problem at all my friend, i just thought it may be in better context on video or at least save some reading. LOL :) you know how some writers like to add their own wrinkle to what guys say. yea, we got us a real gem. :cool:

8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So is my landlord/bank as long as that payment is in on the 1st!

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yea I thought my army drill sergeant was nice as hell too until we jumped off the bus in front of the barracks for the official start of boot camp :hehehe:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    yeah, I saw that article where he said he doesn't flip that switch until the season starts but I like that the players are discovering for themselves that he isn't just some a-hole and that he actually cares about them improving. Brown has the right attitude, lets hope the rest of the offense does too.

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

Man don't I know that is true!!!

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly the way a guy preparing you for battle should be...Show he can be a nice guy,and he is a human being,but he refuses to let his human softness keep him from pushing you to the limit....

This is exactly the way I believe a Coach should approach it.....If you are perfect then no need to complain,,,,but every flaw or mistake he sees it is his Job to address that and push the players to perfection....

If you can't be perfect in practice then how can you ever expect perfection on the field on game day????Again exactly why the DS is so hard,,,,prepare extemely hard and increase your chances of survival.....

Haley is going to prepare our guys to survive the Football season....In Football terms that means winning it all.....Anything else means we died on the field of battle.....

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    From what I have read and seen of Todd Haley, the intensity is going to rise.
    I think the players on the offensive side of the ball better get ready mentally for this.
    It is pretty hard to change a leopards spots(Haley). As for Antonio Brown he has become my favorite
    Steeler. I love his heart, charisma,work ethic.
    I was always more of a defensive person but this kid has just
    too much going for him thats undeniable, barring injuruy he wil be a SUPERSTAR BABY.

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Brown remind me of Ward while Wallace remind me of Plax.

15. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011

Forrest Gump seemed to get along with his Drill Sargent

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the worst thing he could do is come to camp and become a drill sargent to this group. if they aren't getting it, it may be more as to how he's teaching it. it's new for these guys. let's not also forget he's coming to a team thats been there, from assistant coaches on. they are playoff tested and have been to more super bowls in the last 10 years than haley has his whole career. it's not like he's coming into miami or carolina or somewhere. we have given him all the talent a coach could want to work with, so work with them don't become a dictator, he'll turn some guys off. PWP, what works with HS players is far different then what works with college players and i'm sure pro players, especially ones that have gotten it done so much in the past. what style of coaching that works for one guy may not work with another guy. there are 53 personalities out there. i think this year, he should learn those and use his assistant coaches to help as much as possible. they know how to deal with these players first hand and successfully so far. they are pro's and have been there. he needs to teach his offense and learn his players before he becomes a screamer. :cool:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

thats the part i worry about. the he and him factor, instead of we and us. he has won nothing in this league yet and has been a part of alot of high profile teams, with the same outcome. they have won nothing with him at the helm. we have. is it going to be more of a feather in his cap or more of another feather in this organizations cap under him. he hasen't stuck very well anywhere he's had some say so. i'm just looking at facts here and not judging him yet until i see what happens with my own eyes, but all i can go by is from what he's done. i see one successful year and that didn't end well. :shrug: :cool: :cool:

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'm not annoiting Haley as an OC genius quite yet, since he hasnt put a game plan on the field yet: Based on his resume he did get the cards to the superbowl for their 1st time ever, which is a plus: His stint with the chiefs wasnt that hot, but he had a lot of inexperienced players as well as I dont think Matt Cassel is a top QB, or will he ever be one: I like the offense Haley intends to implement with a focus on the running game by starting a fullback for the 1st time in 5 years to take advantage of one of Bens best attributes, (the play action pass) Haley also focused on the Oline in the last draft to beef it up which can only payoff this season. He also intends to use the screen, and get more balls in the hands of the running backs so Ben isnt holding on to the ball to cut down on the sacks. Is Haley's personality going to interfere with his vision for this offense, only this regular season will answer that question, but no body has to like their boss to work for him, but if this offense improves and gets the Ws, the players will buy into it, and thats all that matters...

20. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Haley has had considerable success offensively with "his" teams.
    In Arizona his offensive play was dominated by the passing attack and a potent air attack at that.
    In Kansas City he had one of the best running attacks in the NFL.
    He's shown a willingness to be flexible to accomodate his team's strength.
    He has had some trouble developing balance however. That would be my one concern. Will he lean too heavily on one phase or the other?

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Dwayne bowe also led the league in td catches under haley as well

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, he likes his offense to sling it. just not alot of expierience as the head OCo. never remained in one place to long either. why? alot of arizona was whiz's offense. he mostly worked under someone else's offense. dallas,chicago,NY,ariz.. i just am not certain how this will function and i hope alot of people are not disapointed that we are not grinding it out on the ground as they expect. he adjusted one time at KC when his qb was down. other then that he has had a good qb and good WR's which would make alot of guys look maybe better then they are. he never came through the ranks, or played. he was kind of handed his start out of the blue because of his dad. i don't know. we will soon find out i suppose. :cool:

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That was in 2010 when Charlie Weiss was the OC, so I think you'd have to give more of the credit to him. Comparing that season to the previous one, they ran a lot more spread/multiple receiver sets.
    I'd say he likes his offense to be pretty balanced, but more than anything he wants to keep the defense guessing. I believe he favors the run honestly, and I'll tell you without a doubt that he is much more committed to the run than Bruce Arians. Even if that weren't true, any new OC would have to be pretty naive to take the reins of a team who's previous OC got a lot of negative attention for not committing to the ground game. Having said that, I think we'd be hard pressed to find an OC in the league who wouldn't want to utilize the QB/WR tools that we have. I agree with you about Wiz, though. Haley didn't do any playcalling for AZ until late in '07, and watching some '08 games I see Wiz calling some of the plays, how much exactly throughout the year I couldn't say though.
    He was with the Jets for five years working his way up the ranks starting as a scout. That's a pretty decent amount of time to stay in one spot in football years. After that I'd say he went where the opportunity was, leaving the Jets for a receiver's coach job at the Bears, and after a couple years going for a better opportunity in Dallas, then to AZ, then to KC. No doubt he got his start in NY because of his dad, though.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He was with the Jets for five years working his way up the ranks starting as a scout. That's a pretty decent amount of time to stay in one spot in football years. After that I'd say he went where the opportunity was, leaving the Jets for a receiver's coach job at the Bears, and after a couple years going for a better opportunity in Dallas, then to AZ, then to KC. No doubt he got his start in NY because of his dad, though.[/quote:3do1jdpz]

i agree about being foolish not to use the qb/wr we are giving him. we are starting our backup rb this year, so we should be a little pass heavy. it's our stregnth. :cool:

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He was with the Jets for five years working his way up the ranks starting as a scout. That's a pretty decent amount of time to stay in one spot in football years. After that I'd say he went where the opportunity was, leaving the Jets for a receiver's coach job at the Bears, and after a couple years going for a better opportunity in Dallas, then to AZ, then to KC. No doubt he got his start in NY because of his dad, though.[/quote:29znojyj]

i agree about being foolish not to use the qb/wr we are giving him. we are starting our backup rb this year, so we should be a little pass heavy. it's our stregnth. :cool:[/quote:29znojyj]

How is that our strength? We have a wildly inconsistent QB, who is fighter I will give him that and a proven winner but lets face it his ability to drop back make the quick read is suspect as well as his ability to take the check down. As of this moment there is no veteran leadership at the WR position. They have Cotchery who is a great possession slot receiver but doesn't exactly light it up, Sanders who we are hoping stays healthy, Brown who had a phenomenal year last year but may or may not have been the recipient of Wallace being double and triple covered to get those impressive numbers and lastly Wallace who is holding out and may be behind the curve with the new offense and will take time to gel with Ben again should he actually come to camp. This is hardly a veteran group of proven playoff winners and no more or less experienced than a backup rb who is starting. I say they real strength of this offensive team is that no one part is better than the next so it will be unpredictable and force teams to play honest. If they come out slinging it around it will be just the same as it was under Arians and teams can come after Ben and the running game will have no hope of getting going late in the third quarter.