1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Considering Holding Out For New Deal?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 20, 2015.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn't like that situation at all. They restructure a guy so many times to the point his cap hit is so much more than he's actually making and the fans start up with the he's not worth it stuff. But for the players it's a money grab also. Wish the would do away with restructures all together or at least clean up the process.
    Back to the point though. Your wrong. Restructures are nothing like an extension.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    When he signed that contract I'd argue he was overpaid!

3. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I agree with your first point. But James was offered a big pay cut, not really an extension. For those screaming "He signed a contract" so did the Steelers and they came back and wanted to rip it up and offer less. If teams can redo deals ahead of the contract being completed, so can players. It's a two way street.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The rules of the CBA allow teams to do exactly what the Steelers did when they viewed Harrison as too expensive. Players and agents negotiate contracts knowing the rules that the owners AND players association agreed to. That's why when you hear NFL contract dollar amounts being discussed, the raw dollars mean absolutely jack and the first question out of any informed person's mouth is "what is the guaranteed money?"

Bottom line - Brown signed a contract, and that contract is subject to the rules of the CBA that the owners AND the players association agreed to. The CBA provides for fines if a player decides to hold out when he is covered by a legally binding contract - again under rules that the owners AND players association agreed to. In other words, the players association agreed to structure the CBA in a way that sends players a very clear message - through their wallets - that what AB is rumored to be contemplating is not acceptable. This CBA was negotiated by the players association, and ratified by the players. So, how exactly is anyone being screwed over by the team?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In sports? I don't give a :bscow:

And it's not a double standard anyway. Players signed off on non guarantee contracts, don't agree to a CBA and then come crying about fairness later.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Beat me to it :applaud:

I imagine this will fall on deaf ears though.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Very nice. Thanks for posting this.

8. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    It's not a double standard on the team's part unless they cite sticking to a contract. If they do, then it's a double standard. But for the fans on here claiming, "He signed a contract so he should have to live up to it" they are indeed practicing in double standards, since teams don't have to live up to contracts themselves. I would prefer both sides being able to ask to alter a deal when it's appropriate. They can agree or disagree on "what is appropriate" but for one side to claim "You should live to what you signed" and the other not have to do so, then that is total bull sh-t.

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hey, no problem. Just trying to inject some reality to how the game behind the game works. It takes two to tango, and AB stepped into his $42 million dollar extension - at a time when he had a whopping 2 career offensive TDs - with eyes wide open. I hope he comes to his senses and cuts out the shenanigans (IF he's even up to any shenanigans - it is all rumored at this point).

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    cekv2.jpg

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    No, Blast, my ears aen`t deaf, quite yet...

Hard of hearing, maybe...

But, That was an informed explanation, of "WHY" the contracts in the NFL are "legal"...

(Thanks Elvis",)...

But there are so many "nuances" in the contracts, that it leads me to believe in Shakespear`s qoute...

"First, let`s kill all the lawyers..."...

Without all that crap, players wouldn`t need agents, that make themselves rich, by taking a percentage of the players`
    money, to interperet vagueley worded contacts, the size of a friekin encyclopedia...

... And have a conflict of interest, because they make a percentage of the money their clients make...

Hmmm... The player would be happy with 5 million/yr, but, if I convince him he`s worth 7 million/yr, I just gave myself a big raise..

... I`ll stay out of it from here on, because have "anger management" issues...

And all this is beyond my control...

I just want another Lombardi on the Steeler`s shelf!!!

Pretty sure Antonio could help us with that, if he doesn`t inflate his contract at the expense, of paying other players on the team, because his agent convinces him he is being "disrespected" by his pay!!!:butcher:

GO STEELERS!!!:herewego:

12. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    With 3 years on his contract...he has no leverage. What's he gonna do, hold out for the next 3 years?
    He has out performed his contract, and any of us would ask for a raise if we were out performing our responsibilities to the extent he is? With that said, he'll play the next two years and get his new deal then.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hold out all you want to but when the season starts you better get your butt on the field and start producing. This really gets under my skin but if he wants to skip camp then that's fine. I say that is basically just giving yourself enough rope to hang on or going out on the limb and sawing it off behind yourself. Maybe someone should explain to him that we don't have any money. I honestly wonder if most players know how the salary cap works. I'm not lying when I make that statement. I mean let's face it. How many guys in the NFL are actual "business" men and understand contracts? That's why they have agents. Very few players understand the business side of things and how business actually gets done. I think AB falls in this camp.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Side question here how much of this do you guys think is in direct relation to the rookie salary cap and how it has affected the moving pay scale in the NFL. I always hated precap when rookies who have yet to step on the field were being paid more then a productive 5 year vet. Since the cap has gone into effect you are starting to see more and more of these instances where players sign big contracts, play for a year or two then want to renegotiate when they have 3 plus years left because they feel they are worth more and so and so got a bigger deal. Might be something that needs to be address in the next CBA I would think.

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting situation. Brown fired Drew Rosenhaus in 2014 for Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports, then fired them and re-hired Rosenhaus and now this. Maybe he just isn't very bright.

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

LOL well ,in the interviews i have seen on tv, , he seems like a really nice guy, ,and very polite, but not quiet the brightest bulb in the room

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking the same...

Part of me thinks this is all a set-up by TTF to give us something to talk about during the off-season.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is correct and AB feels he has out performed his contract. Lets get these sides together and see if we can't figure something out.

19. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If I recall .....although the CBA was ratified..The Steeler's player voted against it.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes, you can say he has out performed the contract. He is supposed to perform. And no one held a gun to his head to sign said contract. In which there is 3 years left. The Steelers won't cave. And shouldn't. Blame the agent Antonio. This would open the flood gates for others to do the same ie: Le'Veon Bell. Sit out, be fined. Come back, do what you do and there will be the possibility that the brass will visit this next season behind closed doors. You will lose the game vs the Rooney's...

21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I get the feeling
    you're trying to get a point across to some

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i sent a twitter to him but he didn't post anything .... look if i sayd someething wrong

davide@freakfontana 18 h18 ore fa
    @AntonioBrown84 i'm a steelers fan from italy i don't know if is real but i hope you didn't want to hold out you are an example in pitt

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The Steelers are living up to Woodley's contract. I'm 100% positive that they are living up to Cortez Allen's contract. There is no double standard.

AB is within his right to do this crap. I don't agree with how he is doing it, but this is the path he's chosen. I hope the Steelers don't budge. Young Money Crew :rolleyes:

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You are absolutely right. In the balance of power between the players and the Owners, it is the owners that hold a vast majority of the power. The FO can demand a pay cut from a player and then cut him if they decline, but when a player demands a pay raise... Not only can the FO decline, they can fine the player during the process lol and just because the players "agreed" to this, it doesn't mean the players like it. It certainly doesn't make it fair. These thing are why players strike, and sometimes they get what they want, but at the end of the day the owners have so much money that they can weather a long strike with no problem, and the players only have a few years to make all their money, so they are less inclined to strike for a long time... Thus making them agree to less than ideal terms so they can collect their paychecks. Owners always have the upper hand. I'm not bemoaning it, it's just the way it is.

All that aside, AB is only making a business decision. He wants more money, and him and his agent believe that this is the best route to go to make that happen. I'm sure he understands the ramifications of it (fines, etc.), but it's only with the goal in mind only to do what's best for himself and his family. I don't understand why everyone on here is taking it so personally like he's dissing the organization, or that this somehow doesn't make him a "team first" guy. At the end of the day he has every right to do this, and it may or may not result in what he ultimately wants. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly, because we really need AB on the field and at his best this season.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I read an interesting take in one of the articles or posts some place..... Wonder what kind of reception AB (or any player that attempts to hold his team hostage) would get if he went to his teammates and said 'hey I'd like to make XX million dollars more a year, can you 52 guys take a $xx paycut so 'we' can get me more money?' I could definitely see some lash back from teammates in that situation..... and it's really not much different than what is actually happening. I'm really not sure how his teammates could live with him. I'm disgusted sitting behind a computer, if I had to work with him everyday I'd probably let him get his a$$ kicked a few times to let it sink in that his performance is part of a team effort.