1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Considering Holding Out For New Deal?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 20, 2015.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm just saying without Brown, his agent or the Steelers commenting on it , then it's not official ? Maybe reading it wrong ?

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    yeah he was paid finely and very finely as a nobody with potential. He has gone on to have 2 damn good seasons that put him in the upper echelon of WR's and a good arguement for the #1 spot league wide. Problem is, every year some dumb ass owner changes the pay scale regardless of the position and it upends the whole league and affects what a guy believes he's worth... With or without a greedy mind/agent. It's the way things are, and why the average guy finds it increasingly hard to take his kids to the damn game. These guys are paid ridiculous amounts of money and I guess it's really just never enough because the bar keeps getting raised.

Bottom line is, you signed the paper so own up. With a year or 2 left negotiations usually take place. Swallow this season and then talk. Atleast he waited halfway through his contract before raising a stink unlike T.O. Whom thought he outplayed a 4 or 5 year deal (can't remember exactly) after just one season!

Just the the mentality of stars and athletes it's ridiculous but hey, as long as we keep ponying up the dough it'll continue to get worse

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Companies also fire people daily for stinking up the place.. Apples Vs. Oranges.

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    And that's always the way it's been... Not saying it's right, but as with anyone else they know the job when they take it. This stuff about demanding more before the jobs done is pretty new and gaining steam and it's ridiculous. I know he's our guy and we love him and hate to see him go and all that if he doesn't get his way... But that crap is just that... Crap!

Tired of of these guys and what's fair and me, me, me... Miss the old days.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Non guaranteed contracts. NFL players should of fought for guaranteed contracts it in the CBA if they think its unfair.

But it's totally within the teams right to cut them based on how the contracts are structured. They get their guaranteed money up front, after that, team can cut them for breaking wind.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm not taking side's here I can see where AB is coming from, And i know how the Steeler's do there buisness. B ut he is underpaid IMO H led the league last year, , and was in the discusion for MVP for awhile, and the year before that i believed he finished 2nd in the league in recieving. When he signed his contract it was on par for his production/ projection .. , IMO No one new he would have the season he had the pst two years, ...... Anyway it is what it is so:shrug:

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Understood. I was just trying to consider both sides.
    Personally I think it's downright ridiculous that he's asking for a new deal with three years left on his current contract. Not like it's a rookie deal. He's making a very good salary.

Bell won't be far behind.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    hmmm logic
    So no one man is bigger than the team unless that player is Antonio Brown? is that logic?

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Straw Man aurgument.

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You know the really bizarre part is that time and time again the Steelers have rewarded players who are the top performers with contracts that reflect their value to the team. Why anyone would assume that after this season Brown wouldn't be offered an extension that puts him in the top 5 for WR's pay is just as I said bizzare. Some strange posturing going on here.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, just Troy isnt bigger than the team.

Excellent point.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Really seems like a no win situation for him? I don't mind a guy asking for a raise, but in this situation it's a bit outrageous. Not really sure what he expects to really accomplish? Maybe he's just getting it out there and he is banking on the Steelers loosening up for an extension next season.

13. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    And yet the team can ask for a restructure a lower deal, even when the contract is still in place, if the player is not living up to his #s, or they just cut him outright. So, you feel double standards are OK. I don't. That is a world of bull sh-t.

14. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    How is it outrageous? He is being grossly underpaid and wants to be paid a fair amount. Teams restructure deals early all the time. Why can't players?

15. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    No, that is a non sequitur. They are not the same thing.

16. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    He was the best WR in the NFL and is being paid as the 14th best. Yea, that is ridiculous all right.

17. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    So, you think living life with double standards is OK? OoooooooooooooooooooooooKeeeeeeee dokeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Teams mostly restructure for cap management reasons.
    And Restructures and no where near the same thing as a pay raise or an extension.
    He'll get his extension and his money next year or the one after.

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    what's bull$hit
    is
    He is not the best receiver in the league

If it wasn't for Ben he would be a nothing

and if it wasn't for Todd Haley neither one of them could or would ask for a new contract
    CC
    CASE CLOSED

and

THEIR
    NOT
    THIER
    SO THERE

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The point about Hines Ward holding out is somewhat valid however in that case he was within the final two years of his contract right? To my recollection there was a lot of stuff happening that off season and I thought his hold out was less about telling for more money and more about putting his case forward and saying I should be a piority, let me know that you will treat me right. He holds out makes his point, comes in starts to work and gets a deal done. I don't see Brown as having to do that, he is priority one for next off season.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How about an Aunt Sally?

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I seem to recall Hines wanting a commitment that he was in the Steelers long term plans more than just wanting big money. Could be wrong though?

23. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015

I could probably offer tons of examples, but they asked Harrison for a flat out pay cut. Where was the team's "honor" when they reneged on a contract they signed?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    On the surface I kind of agree, but after Blasts explanation I understand what he's saying. Right or wrong It's an acceptable practice and hold outs are not hence the fines.

25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    All I can say is...

Money is the root of all evil...

This is exactly why I HATE to think of the "business" side of this "game"...

Yes, it absoluteley IS a business, it went from being a "game", to a "profession", a LONG time ago...

That doesn`t make this kinda crap, any easier to watch play out...

What bugs me the most, is the whole idea of "signing a contract", really doesn`t have the same meaning, in the NFL, as it would anywhere else...

From the Players`, OR the Teams` side...

In real life, when you sign a contract, you are committing to terms...

"This is what I will pay you to do this for me"...
    No exceptions, no exemptions...

You do what I paid for, you will get what I agreed to pay.

PERIOD.

SIMPLE.

You don`t deliver, I take you to court, and you don`t get paid.

You do what was agreed, and I don`t pay, you take me to court, and I pay...

Because we signed a CONTRACT!!!!!

That word shouldn`t even be allowed to be used in negotiations between teams and players, anymore!:rant:

They should just say "potential agreement", or something!!!

And when I realized Brown`s agent was Drew Rosenhouse, it just made me want to puke, even more!!!

Other than maybe Scott Boras, I can`t think of a lower class "agent", to represent a player...:sick:

OK... Rant over.. It just really pisses me off, and I had to get that off my chest.

As is, I find it funny, that the lone remaining member of the "Young Money Crew", is about to hold out...

OK, not funny, but disturbing...

C`mon, Man, yes I agree he has been playing above his "pay grade", but he`s still getting paid pretty damn well...

And if he really thinks the Rooney`s are gonnna cave to player with 3 years remaining on his last signing, he oughta look at how long they kept Hines Friekin Ward around, after he held out...

You ain`t gonna hardball The Chief`s descendants...He taught them well... It`s a TEAM sport... Play on a GREAT one!

Cmon, Antonio, you are a great player, and you are on a team that still has a legit shot to get to the bowl, for as long as Ben is still here...

Take your money for now, and wait for your payday, like everyone else on the team...

If you just want the green, ask anyone who left before you how that worked out???!!!

GO STEELERS!