1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Considering Holding Out For New Deal?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think I need to clarify my "piss on him" post since it seems to really have ruffled some feathers. If AB was at the point where he had 1 year remaining on his contract, I'd want him and the Steelers to work out the best contract that would reward him accordingly that is fair for both side.

However, don't go to them with 3 years remaining on your deal and threaten them with holding out. Which is not a team first attitude at all by the way. If that is indeed his stance, then yes, piss on him, sorry if that offends people. You signed your contract, tough, play it out and get paid. The Steelers wont redo his contract now, would set a very bad precedent.

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao:

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I chuckled...

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Nothing. What's stopping us from cutting him in 2 years and not paying him his non-guaranteed money? Nothing. I'd be willing to bet if we re-work his deal, we don't hear a peep from him. It would be different if he was the highest paid WR in the league holding out for more... He's massively underpaid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him wanting to be paid what he is worth, and holding out some to do so.

trading him over money that he is worth would be ridiculous. Absolutely asinine. It would make our organization look like cheap a-holes... And rightfully so.

5. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    If they were paying him top 3 $ and he was playing at a top 14 level, with three years remaining, what do you think they team would do?? You're gad damn right, they'd ask him to take a lesser deal or walk. You know it. So how is that not a double standard? Some of you need to take check in a logic clinic.

6. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    :this!:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I really don't care about double standards, cry me a river.

And you shouldnt be questioning others logic.

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    That's for damn sure!

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

?????????? Why not i see people questioning the teams/players logic on here all the time.

And as far as trading him, , there not gona trade him this year. T he Steelers believe they have a Championship Team. and r not gona trade there best player, ,or one of the best players they have for a draft pic. , who wont even really contribute till his sec or third year, , with Ben more than likely only being here another few years.... that just don't make any since..

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Do some of you guys work for the players union? The concern is touching but who caress if they cut him, wheres the concern for other players who are routinely called upon here to be cut? No one cares about their salary and if by some far fetched chance that AB's play falls off to the point that he gets cut, good!

You say it's asinine to trade him, I say it's asinine to cave into his demands because of the can of worms it will open. The Steelers have a policy, once one player circumvents it, everyone will want too. You may think I don't like AB for talking this way but you are wrong, one of my favorite players, hard worker and delivers on Sunday. But giving into his demands would be a bad idea.

Lets just hope he is skipping voluntary workouts, this may be much ado about nothing.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The comment went over your head.

And they don't have to trade him, Steelers hold all the cards. AB will be a fool to try and force their hand.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I never would've thought you don't like AB, I know from the months (and possibly years) of posts I've read that you do haha Were having a solid debate tho. This is why I joined the site.

i just dont agree. I think certain players earn the right to do stuff like this. If an average player held out, then screw them lol it's not like AB's past season was a fluke. He's a total stud and has proven it. The only precedent it sets is not to sign contracts with the Steelers. If it were me, AB would be paid tomorrow.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He is entitled to ask and the Steelers organization is entitled to say NO. I don't think AB could possible be that stupid. Our FO is not going to give into to unreasonable demands.
    He is a good team player and hope it stays that way.. I don't believe he is going to hold out too long. He is just testing the waters to see what kind of response he is going to get.

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    You're on crack. The organization gave AB a contract worth $40+M after 2 seasons with the team and a total of 2 offensive TD's, yes 2 TD's. They believed he showed promise to replace Mike Wallace as the #1 WR..... but that was nothing more than speculation. AB received well over his value in his first year under that contract. 66 receptions, 5 TD's and under 800 yards receiving..... but he still had a top tier WR contract at the time he signed..... and both sides were happy. Nobody asked AB to take a pay cut after his first year. It's ridiculous to think that a 6 year contract would be open for negotiation from either side until it was close to over. AB could have been hurt before his first game under contract and would have had a fully guaranteed $8.5M bonus to keep..... now all they ask is that he performs.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    lol

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it happens very often that we are on opposite sides of the coin, must be a ripple in the fabric of the universe, I was on the opposite side of a debate with Snack a few weeks ago, that never happens :eek:

Anyway, I think AB deserves more, just shouldn't get it now, IMO.

And has zero chance of getting one if he continues with this approach.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    One of the comments on this article.

So let me ask you. If Cortez Allen's play continues to be awful this year and the Steelers cut him at the end of the year, do you want the Steelers to be contractually bound to pay him $4.25 Million in each of 2016, 2017 and 2018? If you don't feel the Steelers should be on the hook for that $13.2 Million why not? They signed a contract with Allen

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    art ll to AB: win us a super bowl AB and we'll think about it, that's what it means to be at the top of your game.:smiley1::cool:

20. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I do have a problem with AB's contract situation.

Yes he is one of the best WRs in the league. Yes he technically should be paid more than the 14th highest paid WR. I do however have a problem that he is thinking about holding out, even though he currently has three years left on a fat contract. He probably wants to be paid like Calvin Johnson, a near QB-like salary.

We can't afford that nor should we.

People like Russel Wilson who get paid less than a million to play a much more complicated and essential position and after winning a Super Bowl, would warrant a possible holdout. That obviously didn't happen because he is much more team oriented than Brown apparently. Don't forget, Brown is already making a lot of money.

If we cave and give Brown a fat new contract, we are locked into him. He is fantastic and has been healthy, but that can change. We must always be cautious when investing so much into a player that we won't regret it in 2-3 years, like we recently have with people like Lamar Woodley, Willie Colon, Max Starks, etc... In addition, the moment we give him a fat raise, that opens the door for Bell (who legitimately is underpaid for his output) to holdout for a new contract and shortly down the road, Bryant.

I personally don't think the team should invest this type of cash in Brown. He is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but he plays a position that we seem to be good at drafting in and finding replacements. While who we find might not be the same level of player that he is, we don't need the top WR in the league to be successful. If you look at players, the top 4-5 usually get paid much higher than 6-10, even though 6-10 are very similar in talent. That massive hike in pay to the top players, IE Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald when they got their big deals, is something that usually doesn't happen on winning teams because it pools money in one position and prevents it to be spread out to have a more robust team, and is definitely something the Steelers can't afford with so many holes on defense that they need to fill.

If they can get him to show up under his current deal and play without being a lockerroom distraction (IE Wallace), that is the most optimal outcome. If he is going to show up but be a distraction, he needs to go. If he won't show up without a new contract, he needs to go. He is worth a lot, especially since he doesn't currently have the fat contract number that he is likely seeking. There are teams like the Redskins or Dolphins that would pay him and give us proper value for him. I would require a top 15 first round pick and either a second in that same draft or a 1st in next years draft. Yes, he is worth that much.

If he goes, Bryant/Wheaton would start. I would look at Greg Jennings as a 3rd, or Crabtree if he is still there (I think he was signed though), and use one of the first round picks on a WR, or at least take one they know will be good, which they are usually good at. If it is a 3-6th, then so be it.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    LOL one person does not win a SB lol

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Isn't it just a rumor at this point?

23. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I mean, the Post-Gazette and ESPN are reporting it. Maybe they are wrong?

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Players need to honor their contract or they shouldn't sign the darn thing in the first place.

I could see me telling my boss, thanks for the annual raise but I want twice that much after working 4 months or I'm not coming into work.

Let me tell you how that will work out.:rules::butcher:

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Keep in mind that teams cut players all the time without honoring thier end of the contract.