1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Answer this question for me for all you Tomlin haters.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Dec 9, 2018.

1. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This isn't a post defending or criticizing Tomlin but I just want to give my 2 cents and ask the group a question.

The one thing I look for in a coach is the ability to reach his team, to have everyone buy into team philosophy, to get the team to play through adversity, etc etc, I honestly can say I haven't seen the team get away from Tomlin on the field, the players still play for him every week.
    If you want to know why McCarthy was fired it wasn't his inability to coach it was due to losing his main field general in Aaron Rodgers, the team stopped playing for Mike when Aaron stopped.

Tomlin has his faults but truthfully ALL coaches do, even Belichick's clock management is not great at times.

My question is for you is, for those of you who want Tomlin fired give me a coach you would want in his place BUT put that coach in place with our 3 coordinators Butler, Smith and Fitchner especially Smith and Butler because of the years they've been here. Now tell me do you honestly believe there's a coach who would have a better record than Tomlin? And if you don't believe so then aren't you saying that we need new coordinators especially special teams and defense?
    If you believe just a new coach would make the difference then please explain who and how with these coordinators our wins and losses would be different (i.e. scheme, talent evaluation, consistency, discipline etc)

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben and Tomlin bye!!!! would be a good start. Both idiots feed off of each other.

3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I think a ham sandwich would do as good a job as Tomlin with the roster he's had.. Give that ham sandwich the same roster I'd expect the same results if not better. Just shut up

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well Ben was gone for most of the second half and you see how well that worked.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope, Butler is part of the parting package. It's just not one leader.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben has been gone all season , he has little flashes of what he used to be. Problem with this team is for something to get done the wheels have to fall off completely. Theres no adjustments they just keep throwing the same clowns out there and hope for the best.

7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Yeah, because I'm sure our next starting QB will be a hall-of-famer too. HOF QB's are a dime a dozen

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlin doesn't lose his teams, but they are consistently unprepared and undisciplined, and his clock management skills are abysmal. He's a mediocre coach who is consistently bailed out by superior talent. I have no idea who to replace him with and I hate when people ask that question. Just because the general fan can't name a replacement doesn't mean that he shouldn't be replaced. Surely there is someone out there and I trust the organization to find the right guy. It's not like Mike Brown is running the team.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    see that's the cop out. who do you want? I have no clue who is out there. No clue who they consider a great head coach. I didn't know Tomlin was out there either. It's not my job. It's THEIR job. THey need to know what talent is out there. At some point it becomes painfully obvious the guy you have has overstayed his welcome. I don't sit here and peruse the coaches out there that are making people take notice. I don't have the time. They do. It's up to them to fix this not me.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter who the HC is, if they don't get better talent on defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why would we have to be stuck with those coordinators? So Tomlin doesn't have the power to fire them or at least override them during a game? If the answer is yes. Then why doesn't he? If the answer is no. Then he is a cheerleader.

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben is playing like a HO Shamer, hes done !!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The offense has also been underwhelming this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Tomlin feeds off Ben maybe

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We must be watching different teams then. And I have much higher expectations for a head coach than someone who tries to be "one of the guys" and tries to be everybody's buddy. I look for a head coach who can create a disciplined and accountable team. One who commands respect rather than spouts off ridiculous cliches and acts like a clown. A coach who can find and hire talented assistants who can do more than regurgitate a tired old obsolete scheme. A coach who can make adjustments during a game to what the opposition is doing. Tomlin is a damn joke who underachieves on an epic level with the incredible talent that he has on the roster. I want a head coach who doesn't turn a 12-1 team into a 7-5-1 joke who can't beat 2 of the worst teams in the NFL and finds ways to lose games that are in the bag.

FMTI

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    At the start of the season most betting people would have said the Jags and Eagles had model organizations and top 5 Head Coaches. Not too many would have picked the Walrus in KC. Then the season plays out and look what happens. It all boils down to harmonic convergence (and ball bearings). :rolleyes:

17. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Get rid of Tomlin and a new coach will bring in his people. Its not like when we say fire tomlin we are saying he is the only one getting fired. A new coach will keep or release all the other coaches. And as for you saying the players still back Tomlin and playing hard you must be watching another team or maybe i am. There comes a time when you have had enough and only the rooneys know when that is. Unless the Steelers win there last 3 i couldnt see how the Rooneys dont atleast consider letting him go. The packers are taking **** for firing during the season but it does give them a upperhand to let all other coaches be considered for the job..Just hope the Steelers dont wait to its to late and are left with Tomlin or there 2nd or 3rd choice

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To answer your question, I would say that the one thing you look for in a coach is one small part of a bigger package. From what we know, Tomlin does relate quite well to the players, I'll give him that, but that can't be the only thing a coach has going for him. There needs to be a complete package.

I will say that your question is unfair though. You can't expect us to come up with names and start talking about how that persons scheme would change outcomes of games. Nobody on this forum is in a position to do that without some very serious homework. GM's/owners do major homework on potential coaching hires and they also have interviews. They have teams of people to discuss potential hires with. Nobody on this site has any of that. Sure, i can start going through all the names I can think of, both in the NFL ranks and in college, but I would require a massive amount of time to do the homework needed to even come up with an educated guess. Even then, I don't get the luxury of talking to any of these guys, talking to scouts, talking to former players, talking to other football minds I trust, etc.

What I know is I haven't liked what I've seen from this team for a long time now. I watch a ton of football and we're not a well coached team. We've gone through several coordinators now and the results haven't been any different. We have an incredible amount of talent on our team but the results are simply not good enough. So while you only mention Tomlin connecting with the players, my views are much broader on what a coach should offer.

ps. If Tomlin was fired, all the coordinators would be gone too. A new coach would bring in his own guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Ben runs the team , MT is just a statue out there with a title.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Off top of my head... Mike Muncak

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm....you could be on to something. Maybe that's why Ben didn't come back in the game until we were losing. It was so he could save the day. The only problem is he forgot his HC with the DC background and his current DC couldn't stop a broken watch(get it stopwatch):smiley1: It's gotta be a better explanation than "flow of the game"...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    5D6DD22D-D9E9-4A9C-BC7B-5710BEFD5F14.jpeg You guys want Ben gone?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You can start the interview process with someone on his staff, Munch. It's not the fans job though to find replacement though.

Don't have other names for you but I have parameters; meticulous, attention to detail X's and O's type coach. Has to be another McVay type out there. Look what he did with that team after they jettisoned that dinosaur Fisher who is stuck in the old mentality of the NFL. The game has been changing for a while, like it or not, college ball is infusing with the NFL product. It's why I believe you are seeing more successful QB play out of college. Goff would have went to QB graveyard had Fisher remained the HC.

MT and Butler should both be shown the door. Could use a new scouting team too, need to draft better. Keep the WR scout.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep nfl is evolving

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So what your saying is we need a advanced chess player(s) and ours are playing Connect 4....

• Like Like x 4