1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anquan Boldin vs. Martavis Bryant

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Oct 27, 2017.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Putting aside Bryant's potential upside that we may never see, would Boldin's effectiveness in the red zone benefit us more than Bryant's ability to stretch the field?

I know there are financial issues to contend with and other costs associated with a trade (ie., draft picks, etc.). But all the details aside, I'm just wondering about on the field performance and what we could use more this year.

I have a feeling this will be Bryant's last year, so signing Boldin to a one year contract gives us the same usage either way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Boldin? He's like 90 years old plus he's a jack ass.
    Tomlin said we're not trading Bryant.
    Bryant will stil help us win some games this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I anticipate Bryant back next year. The Steelers have invested to much in him and he’s still cheap next year. Just my thought.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Easy on the comments about old jack ass. Just saying....;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If we can get Bryant involved, it will be worth keeping him. He is going to make some plays for us when we need them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Bryant hasn’t just shown beast potential, but beast ability. He made a big change for the better from Spring 2016 to now. I think coaches and teammates help him get the rest of the way there mentally. He’s our horse for the next season and a half.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Boldin retired this year after 14 years:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ran-wr-anquan-boldin-retires-after-14-seasons

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn't know Boldin was still playing. He'll be eligible for social security soon. In his prime he was a weapon, though.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it wouldn't matter if the ball is still fed to AB and double or triple coverage.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Prediction: Martavis Bryant will be a significant contributor in several games down the stretch for the Steelers this year!

Write it down!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If cant get the ball to a 6'5" Bryant, not going to matter much who you put out there.

12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They have one thing in common, they both quit on an NFL team this year.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I think it should be less of a player vs player situation around the forum due in part to Martavis' actions.

My issues lie within the inability to score consistently in the red zone; either player being non factors given the current circumstances.

Realistically, this title should be something like this;

"Haley and Ben: Locating Common Ground Towards Consistency".

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He retired but just said he's thinking of coming back. Would've loved to have him a few years back dude fights for the ball!

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ......or Haley and Ben: Locating their heads in their asses....and returning them to the upright position....

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm as down on Bryant as I have ever been. At this point I am not convinced he has anything more than size and straight line speed. He also seems immature and a bit entitled, and I am getting sick of hearing about him for things other than catching passes. That said, no way in the world would I give up on him already. He does at least have size and straight line speed. We should be able to take some advantage of that alone. Unless I am overwhelmed by an offer I am not moving him at this point. I am certainly not moving him for a guy who isn't even playing and is old as hell.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Always been a Boldin fan and would have loved him here a year or two ago, but that ship has sailed. We have a very young Boldin-in-the-making with JuJu, no need to further water down the WR grouping imo.

Boldin's most valuable asset would be vet leadership but I think that effect would be marginalized if he came in week 8 or whatever. Would he be a WR coach possibility since Mann is retiring and his connection with Haley? I'd be onboard with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How is he in the wide receiver screen game?

20. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If Ben won't throw the ball to a single-covered bigger & younger & faster Bryant, what makes you think he'll throw the ball to smaller & older & slower Boldin?? LMAO ...the problem is Ben's unwillingness to spread the ball. In his mind his options are either a triple covered #84, or a checkdown #26, or a sack...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That coaching position is already filled by a true steeler which boldin is not:

LATROBE. Pa. – Hines Ward broke into the smile everyone is so accustomed to, laughing as he talked about hearing one of the current Steelers players refer to him as, ‘Coach Ward’ for the first time.

“When they first called me Coach Ward, I had to get used that,” laughed Ward. “I was thinking I am not that old, that far removed. I told my wife the first day I heard Coach Ward I got a big chuckle. I didn’t respond to it at first. I was like are you talking to me, oh, I am the coach. Having the opportunity to come back and give to my organization and help these kids and try to get another Super Bowl is a blessing.”

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There's no real reason to trade Martavis. After throwing a fit and having a poor start to the season his stock is as low as it could be. If he picks it back up it's a huge win for us, and if not then he's better off rotting on our bench than on some other teams roster. As a player he's worth more than what we'd get for him....

He's gonna want to play well for his next contract and we need him to ball out too, so no matter how upset he is there's still mutual good to be gained by him staying. Then let him walk and find another guy who can go deep instead.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's great. Ward truly had fun playing the game of football. I see a lot of that in Juju.

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We already have a Boldin..his name is Ju Ju