1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another warm-weather team came in our house & punked us...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Jaguars did it twice to us. And if we're all honest, not only do the Patriots own us but the Jaguars own us too. From now on 4 teams to avoid in post season at Hines Field ...Patriots, Jaguars, Broncos, and the Chargers. Under no circumstances can we seem to beat these teams. On paper we are so superior to the Jaguars. Their offense is so anemic, they were lucky to score a touchdown against the Bills. Freezing temperatures with a home crowd, what more can we ask for?? ...AND THEY STILL DROP A 45 ON US?? Did the great Blake Bortles offense really do this to us?? How could we not show up?? Such a wasted season ...this team deserve no praise

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    To be fair jags were 5th in ppg and great in red zone.

Our D without shazier is horrid. With him it’s decent

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    I'm overseas & couldn't watch the game but when I saw 45 points scored against us ...I thought my eyes was lying to me. What in God's name happened?? I can comprehend a Tom Brady doing this to us, but Blake Bortles?? OMG ...either we are frauds or a bunch of chokers

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Steelers had been gashed by the run all season...Jags were the worst matchup they could have faced.

Old school Steelers football...miss those days

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why is the DLine not getting it done.
    Why is the Eagle Defense good because of their DLine?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Same ,,no team is scared or nervous to come into Pittsburgh anymore ,this team is lost ,Jags took the opening drive ,which we gave them,and punched us in the mouth and never looked back..that used to be us !!

YOU DON'T DEFER at home in a playoff game ,you take the ball 1st ,ram it down their throats and make a statement ,,you know ,,like they did to us

Complete failure and embarrassment is all this team should feel for a long time ,and keep their damn mouths shut!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Daddymac10

May 1, 2015
    This really hurt, thought we had a chance to do something this year. Man this hurt...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bortels only had 1 TD in this game, we couldnt stop the run and Fournett had 3 TDs on the ground, Ben turned the ball over twice in the first quarter both resulting in a TD and we played catchup the rest of the game, truth is after the first quarter Ben had a good game throwing 5 TDs but a couple stupid 4th down calls and that on side kick gave them a short field because of it, still if Butler would quit using Lebeaus play book maybe this defense wouldnt be so damn lousy, I think it's time to replace Butler....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A lot of people will put the blame on Ben and the offense for digging a hole and they would be right in doing so. That said, the offense got going and got back to within 7 points and I don't care what anyone says, to have a Blake Bortles led team score 38 points is inexcusable and shows a complete breakdown of the defense.

On the offensive side of the ball you have to look directly at the OC, the situational play calling is horrendous, it shows a lack of knowing the team your playing and the players on your own roster. On the defensive side of the ball you can look at the lack of depth on the D-line and LBers, we have 1 playmaker in Heyward, Williams is good but he needs others around him for him to be effective and we don't have anyone.

Tuitt is good but he got hurt early in the season and wasn't the same since, but this team has no depth on defense, Shazier is injured and it shows how much bad play he covered up. The team also doesn't have any safety worth a roster spot, Davis just isn't that good and I think they have a player that is just more physically gifted than Shamarko Thomas but not smart or skilled enough to play the position at an NFL level.

Artie Burns not only has trouble in coverage but he also doesn't like to tackle, he is Deion Sanders without the coverage skills. Mitchell isn't a good safety either, he doesn't even look to play the ball, he simply wants to make big hits which either draws a flag and does no good after the other team gets a 20 yard gain. All you need to do is look at the stats, the Steelers defense gave up more 50+ plays than any other team in the league and it is by a wide margin.

The coaching is average with the exception of Munchak, Butler is using Lebeau's outdated system but he also is dealing with a poor secondary and as I said before, no safety help and limited ability of Burns along with a Joe Haden past his prime and that stat line of all the 50+ yard pass plays says it all. Deshone Kizer of the Browns had his only 300+ yard passing game against the 1st team defense in the last regular season game, that should have worried Butler or at least Tomlin but nothing changed.

My last thing I have to say and something I got hammered here before for saying, is Mike Tomlin isn't that good, sorry but it is the truth. Take a look at the Jags, they needed to score points to win and they had to do it with a bad QB, so they watched game film and came up with a plan. The Steelers defense is weak against screens and run so they made the Steelers sell out against the run and they threw screens for big gains, then they had them so set up that play action passes worked so well that Bortles, who had more rushing yards than passing the week before, looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

Tomlin doesn't game plan....EVER!! His famous line is "We do what we do" and what we do is loose to inferior opponents all the time. Make no mistake, this team was talking a lot and despite what Tomlin says, they were no prepared for this and they were looking past the Jags. I also hate bringing it up but look at NE, they had a horrendous defense early on and then lost their best pass rusher and yet they still managed to overcome that by adjusting scheme, Tomlin is incapable of that and in order to win a championship the coach has to be able to not only control his player and keep them grounded and focused, but also prepare them for each opponent. Tomlin ha a generic approach, almost like a "one size fits all" game plan that is used for every game, a lackadaisical approach with no detail.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    butler has 2 go flatout u lead the league in sacks and dont even cough on the qb get him outta here

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rawsteel73

Apr 28, 2012
    In NO way can u put blame on the offense from the very first drive with the ease of how it was done showed they had no fear or nerves against our D and our D showed no bounce back no fight no backbone on almost every 3rd down especially the ones right after we score.yesterday was pathetic no one on the D ABSOLUTELY NO 1 on THIS DEFENSE GET"S A PASS can any of us truly name a standout defensive player from yesterday

12. Rawsteel73

Apr 28, 2012
    do you realize that what ur saying tomlin should be doing is what keith butler was hired to do and is not doing. but, now it is on tomiln and colbert to disperse him asap if not blame tomlin hell i am it needs to be done he is not that good

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well BK 99 you make good points but Davis led the defense again with 12 tackles, Williams had 10 TKLs, the rest of the defense had a couple of fives fours 3s 2s and 6 players only had one TKL, we need more players to get more tackles to make this a swarming defense....

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I’ve been a Steelerfan for 46 years and I never really got that wow feeling this year as they only played complete games a few times!Against inferior opponents we just seemed to get by.We faced many subpar qb’s who lit up our defense and the same qb’s did little to nothing against just average defenses.Our offense,which on paper is the best in the league took a while to get going around mid season!The second half of the season I felt very confident in our offense but felt our defense couldn’t make the big stop like some defenses we had in the past!Losing Shazier really exposed us but other teams have lost (patriots for example) an important player and still have gone on to succeed! Unless it’s your franchise qb great teams will find away to win!Damm,even the Eagles,who lost Weztz managed to get to the NFC championship!I have to agree with a lot of posters on here that we need coaching changes on both sides of the ball but especially defensively as they should probably clean house! No excuse to give up 45 to a Jacksonville team (even if statistically was in the top ten in offensive production)!As I’m extremely disappointed we didn’t take care of business yesterday I saw too many flaws in our defense this year to think we were that team.The 1994 team losing to the chargers was the toughest loss for me as we were good in all facets of the game with no glaring weaknesses!I never had that Wow feeling with this years team as we had weaknesses,mainly on the defensive side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    When you get a chance Diamond, key on Williams against Fournet on the runs, he was horrible, I don't care how many tackles he had. When Fournet dove over the top on the touchdown he completely missed him. On the other when he ran right up the middle he hung back and did nothing. Not high on Williams in this game at all. Both of our middle linebackers and Dupree played horrible.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm not really surprised by what happened yesterday. The writing was on the wall. Steelers were barely beating teams with backup QBs.

I've been saying this team is overrated for a while now. The window has pretty much shut and last year was really the final opportunity to get #7 while Ben was still playing. The defense needs a major overhaul on every level.. D-line, linebackers and secondary. The offense is not as advertised, IMO... and way too inconsistent to beat the better teams in the league.

Even if the Steelers had pulled out a miracle and won, there was no possible way to win in New England. The Steelers defense can't stop the run and can't stop the pass. How many stops did the Steelers get yesterday on 3rd down? I can think of only 2 times they made the Jags punt. Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well, Ben said in his interview last night he is coming back for next year, so if we can fix the obvious problems on this team including a couple of coaches I could name, we just might get number 7 next year with Ben....

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's gonna take more than one year to fix the defense. The defense should have been in championship form by now. Shazier was bad luck...and Steelers whiffed big time on Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. They also whiffed on Artie Burns and Sean Davis. Hell.. even Tuitt is looking like Lamaar Woodley on his 2nd contract.

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t forget about Spence and Hood.

Defensive picks just aren’t producing.

Continue letting the guy drafting Offensive players, but get someone else to choose Defense.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Our d-line got bullied and lost us the game. Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu should all be ashamed. Lets see if they get 5 yards a pop against the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree with your sentiment. I watched almost every game this season and never got that feeling that they were a dominant team. They seemed to squeak by most games against bad QB's. 13-3 and 1 and done in the playoffs. So disappointed. Changes need to be made.

22. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    As far as Tuitt goes I’ll give him a pass because I think he played injured this year but yeah,Jarvis Jones,Bud Dupree,Artie Burns,Sean Davis were high defense picks since we knew we had holes to fill.We have tried to fill those holes but those picks haven’t produced where they were drafted on the board.You only get so many chances and we blew it on the defensive side on draft day lately.Watt had a very good rookie season and hopefully he progresses as he gets more seasoned.I think it’s a combination of not having good coaching on the defensive side and defensive picks that didn’t live up to their billing.

23. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I agree. Shazier was a big, huge loss. Our ILBs really suck, Vince is Ok, but the rest really are horrid. That's why I wanted the Steelers to draft Ruben Foster instead of TJ Watt, who by the way I am not sure he played yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I can't speak definitively to our game-planning, but ... I think it's more a match-up issue. If "what we do" matches up well, no problem. If it doesn't ... 45-42.

25. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm sure another reason the Jags had confidence about this game was because they play a team twice every year with pretty much the same defensive scheme.

• Disagree Disagree x 1