1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another safety?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 28, 2018.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Marcus Allen. Can you also play Middle LB'er?

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's a new strategy no linebackers on defense.

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I read scouts think he'd be great as a LB in Nickel and Dime defenses. He's a great tackler. Also expected to be good on ST's. It's the 5th round.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh great, I’ve been growling at this guy for years at Penn State and now I can do it on Sunday’s.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Sources Tell Us

"If he doesn't start early, he'll be a star on coverage teams. He's fearless and loves to hit. I'm concerned with his speed and we want our safeties to be better in coverage than he is. I think he's a great fit as a nickel or dime linebacker in sub." - AFC team regional scout

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Measurables
    Ht.6-1

Wt. 209 lbs

40-yard dash: 4.59

Bench press: 15 reps

Vertical jump:37"

Broad jump:127"

3-cone drill:7.13

20-yard shuttle:4.32

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We need the WR from Notre Dame...with the great name.

8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Only if Terrell Edmunds fails to replace Shazier. Look for Edmunds to get first crack.

9. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    OK! Help me here. Terrell Edmunds was drafted in round one with an NFL Prospect Grade of 5.59. Marcus Allen was drafted in round five with an NFL Prospect Grade of 5.60. How does this make any sense?

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It don't it was a reach.........:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Like the pick a lot in the 5th. Like Samuels a lot too.

Still think NT and ILB are serious holes though. Guess the FO doesn't agree.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Simple.

NFL Network's grades and the grades given to prospects of the Steelers Front Office are two different aspects all together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Let me get this straight. You hire the defense coach from Alabama and don't get Evans or Harrison? Smh ...

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Neither are defensive lineman.

More than likely, if available, Joshua Frazier.

• Like Like x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But he's more then familiar with those guys. I thought we would use him in a capacity of the draft ... like Jimmy Johnson did ...when he became head coach of the cowboys. Knowledge of great college players

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so you have watched him a lot? I love getting fans opinions. I take it you don't think he is a good pick? I think every bama player can play so I would love to see if you can give me some insight

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We did and selected Terrell Edmund's.:smiley1::cool:

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Titans took Evans 1 or 2 picks before Pitts turn. I think they would've taken Evans if he was still there. But he does have a list of injuries, he could be injury prone.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was hoping they would draft another Safety in round 7

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually, he could be a very good pick. Keep in mind, I’ve been watching a college kid and have been striving for perfection. My expectations of college ball are highly unrealistic. In reality, at the position taken, he is a good selection. My comment was more toung in cheek.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Allen definitely isn't a single high type safety, if he can help in the nickel and dime packages as a LB that would be great.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I can easily explain this. The steelers and probably every other team in the league does not use your NFL prospect grade to draft players.

Obviously the steeler's scouting dept has a very different opinion of Edmunds then that prospect grade. I'll admit I'm a little puzzled by our draft this year but I'm not concerned. I learned to just trust our FO when it comes to the draft. Over the last 20 years or so there are only 1 or 2 teams with more wins that us. I'm of the opinion we draft better than 80% of the league. So who ever we take, I'm sure we did our home work, it was a sound decision to make that pick when we did. There's always a chance we miss on a player. I think our FO has as system that they use every year.

Drafting is like poker. No matter how good you think your hand is there's a chance you lose...and vice verse. You have to use educated guesses on who goes were and hope your guy falls. If our targets didn't fall to us and we couldn't make a trade when we wanted to there's nothing you can do but take the player the scouting dept likes most. The scouting dept has historically done a nice job for us. I get the feeling this draft was not a very good quality draft over all. We were drafting very late in each round. We were getting the left overs...so there will inevitably be "reaches" when your just drafting players you like. Not the players some website likes.

23. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    MadtownDruankard, post: 568029 I can easily explain this. The steelers and probably every other team in the league does not use your NFL prospect grade to draft players. I get this. My question was more rhetorical. I just find it interesting the Steelers draft these two players so far apart when the NFL has them ranked so closely. Question: If the NFL had them rated so closely, why did most all of the so-called experts not only have them being draft much further apart and in the reverse order.

Obviously the steeler's scouting dept has a very different opinion of Edmunds then that prospect grade. I'll admit I'm a little puzzled by our draft this year but I'm not concerned. Normally I would agree if it were not for the Steelers' recent history of DB drafts - not really good. Burns and Davis have been middlin. No shut down anything - CB or S. Perhaps the league is right and the Steelers are wrong. We shall see. I learned to just trust our FO when it comes to the draft. Over the last 20 years or so there are only 1 or 2 teams with more wins that us. I'm of the opinion we draft better than 80% of the league. So who ever we take, I'm sure we did our home work, it was a sound decision to make that pick when we did. There's always a chance we miss on a player. I think our FO has as system that they use every year. I give you the Steelers may view Edmunds worth in the context of a safety slash linebacker too shore up the run game. The rest of NFL perhaps rated him based on the assumption he was strictly to be used as a safety.

Drafting is like poker. No matter how good you think your hand is there's a chance you lose...and vice verse. Don't use this analogy; the Rhode Island courts ruled poker is just gambling and not a skill-based endeavor. You have to use educated guesses on who goes were and hope your guy falls. If our targets didn't fall to us and we couldn't make a trade when we wanted to there's nothing you can do but take the player the scouting dept likes most. The scouting dept has historically done a nice job for us. They have! I get the feeling this draft was not a very good quality draft over all. We were drafting very late in each round. Aren't we always drafting low in most rounds of most drafts? We were getting the left overs...so there will inevitably be "reaches" when your just drafting players you like. Not the players some website likes. Well, I don't put much stock in anyone's mock drafts. They don't have the skill, knowledge, and staff backing them up. I would like all mock drafters to publish their draft success or failure. Show me how well your previous draft were, then I believe it. Where is Kiper's self-audit? He says he does them. So publish the results. Probably his results will come with a pant load of disclaimers. Actually everyone's will. :smiley1:

24. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Screw Rhode Island. Poker is a skill based endevour.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Marcus Allen is a rock solid depth option should anything happen to Terrell Edmunds or Morgan Burnett. Hopefully neither get injured but should the time come, at the very least, we are equipped to deal with such an issue.

Marcus Allen is a dime 'backer/Strong Safety who will strike without hesitation. That type of physciality will be needed if/when the time comes.