1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Mar 12, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    And yet another CB that the Steelers were reported to be interested in is signed by another team.

Marcus Cooper to the Bears..

How many CB's have we been interested in that now has been signed away?

I sure hope Colbert doesn't expect bottom of he barrel talent like Antwon Blake and Brice McClain ( a few years back ) to come in and solidify our secondary... We have cap space..... USE IT!!!!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know Cajun. I don't think we will use one if we do sign them. Seems like Butler and Tomlin don't use FA CB's just like LeBeau wouldn't play rookies for 3 to 4 years. We may be throwing money away if we do sign one

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Most of the FA signings this year have been way over the top salary wise. Everywhere teams are reaching deep into the pocket books and overpaying for the talent level. The Steelers are smart enough to sit this FA season out.

I am surprised that they let Wheaton go though, with an off field questionable Bryant and an alligator armed Coates on the roster. They should have opened up the wallet more for him by just being in the situation they are. Ben needs weapons and Wheaton would have at least been more reliable than the other two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm:

Go look at the contracts being paid to these top guys and tell me if you think they could A) afford it and B) if it would be a wise investment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yep. I was interested in the Steelers trying to go after Dre Kirkpatrick. I really thought he could fit in well with the Steelers but no way is that going to happen for 10.5 million a year. I considered him middle of the pack for FA CB's as far as talent. FA has become nothing more than players cashing in for what ever they can get from organizations willing to back the Brinks truck up and help them move. In Dre's case though he won't be moving anywhere. Just chillin and counting the cash.

I'm glad the Steelers don't get involved in the spending frenzy that has become the FA market.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Alshon on a 1 year deal would have been nice.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm assuming Alshon and Pryor didn't want to come here on 1 year deals to play 2nd fiddle to AB.

I've been praying for years for them to sign some corners in FA and they never do.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Alshon is talented enough that it could have been a 1A and 1B situation. If all he wanted was to prove himself to get a long term deal next year, having a guy like Ben throwing the ball and a guy like AB shielding you from double teams would have surely helped his cause. Not that he is in a bad situation now, because he's not at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Then why does the media keep saying the steelers are interested in this guy or that guy when we know damn well they aren't going to sign them for what their market value is????

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, maybe he's waiting until after the draft as usual. At the end of the day Colbert is gonna go for cheap in FA and sign our own as a last result.He always feel that he can solidify our needs in the draft. Lb,cb,s,wr?,rb?... the first 3 are a must and last two are a luxury. I personally think that we have a nice receiver corp coming back and should bring back DWill ...even if we do get a bonefide rb in the draft.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Good point

Cajun

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Marcus Cooper..... 3 yr 16 mil with the Bears...
    A) yes
    B)yes

Cajun

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah, they probably could've pulled that trigger money wise

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hadn't seen any contract details when I posted. Thats one and surprising.

1. Tony Jefferson signed for 4 yrs/$36 million - NO
    2. Gilmore signed for 5 yrs/$65 million - NO
    3. Dre Kirkpatrick signed for 5 yrs/$52.5 million (for a guy you said you're "not a fan of") - HELL NO
    4. Bouye signed for 5 yrs/$67.5 million - NO
    5. Amukamara signed for 1 yr/$7 million fully guaranteed (this was a cost-effective "prove it" contract?) - NO

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Internet click traffic for all the newer fans that don't know any better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to kick the tires. Maybe you find that rare athlete that takes more into consideration than just money. Chance to win a championship, play for a great organization, and while its not warm year round, I thought the city was pretty nice during my visit there.

I dont know how anyone can argue against the fact that you cant win a bidding war with people who have more money than you do.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd like to see us fix our secondary as well but the reality is that if we want Bell here we can't go throwing money at a FA corner who is unproven in our system. Right?

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Alshon got like 9 million guaranteed on a 14 million 1 year contract from the Eagles. How were the Steelers going to compete with a offer like that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A lot of those rumors come from blog sites, most of them have no clue who the Steelers are interested in.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

BFT, I agree we need to help the secondary but let me ask you something, don't you think we can fix it without a big name simply by replacing a few guys? For example Timmons is gone, that right there is gonna upgrade our pass coverage. Now IMO Gay is the next to be replaced and maybe Golson and a draft pick or even a lower level FA can help there. I think we are going in the right direction with Artie, Cockrell and Davis. Mitchell isn't going anywhere this year so I am leaving him out. Thoughts?

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I agree that we don't need a big name. I actually prefer NOT to sign a big name if it's gonna cost us, cap wise, going forward. Maybe they think we have something in Golson and that's why they're not seeming to be too interested in going after a big name corner. Good grief with as much time as that dude has spent injured he should know every playbook in the league at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1