1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Hate Article about James Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Unfortunately a H2H hit is a H2H hit no matter how mild. It also doesn't matter if the player on the receiving end dips his head in anticipation of the hit. Remember the hit he put on Massaquoi last year? That was as much Massaquoi's fault as Harrison's but it didn't matter.

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Both opinions above are correct.

What really is unfortunate is the rule. That's what "is what it is". I doubt this rule will ever be reversed. It may take time for these guys to unlearn their technique and develop a new instinct.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

However much it irks us, there's little point in comparing our case to other teams. We'll always find inconsistencies in decisions, but what matters is what happens when we're in, say, a play-off game, and Harrison leads with his helmet, and a 4th down becomes a 1st down. The fines and the consistency are one issue, Harrison's technique is another.

I would be convinced otherwise if I could see the rest of the D doing a similar thing but not drawing flags. With the exception of Ryan Clark, that doesn't seem to happen - though someone with more technical knowledge could show me different.

4. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    That article was written by a writer for the Baltimore Sun. He's the Ravens reporter for the team. It's a biased article.

5. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

He received a $20,000 fine for that hit, FYI........

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Silverback seems confident that he won't be suspended. I sure hope he's right. Here's what he said earlier:

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

7. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    After watching the play live and many replays and reading a lot of opinions and commentary I feel that the hit was worthy of a flag, but not for roughing the passer. Many plays end with the QB being hit after the ball is thrown, frequently with more time between the release of the ball and the hit. If you watch the replay, Mccoy's only takes one step after releasing the ball. Roughing the passer would indicate a late hit, Harrison's hit was not late. The call should have been H2H hit on defenseless QB. I suppose that according the the vague and inconsistent rules, the play was possibly worthy of a fine, but is much more likely because of the name and number on the back of the offending party. I will not subscribe to the theories that Goddell or the NFL is out to get the Steelers in particular. It makes us sound too much like other fans whining about their teams losing because of anything under the sun, but not because the were out played by the other team. I do believe that our star LB is being singled out, or at least given less leeway when it comes to the way he hits. Not because he is a Steeler, but because he is always pushing the limit of what is a legal hit. I don't think he is a "dirty" player, just extremely aggressive and talented enough to deliver devastating hits. I also think he has done a pretty good job of avoiding these situations this season, too bad his reputation has not changed as well. I will be extremely disappointed in the NFL if he is suspended for this hit. It was a play that occurred between the whistles and obviously was not away from the ball or anything unrelated to normal play. If he had laid him out after the play, or away from the ball, then I could see a suspension. The biased opinions of reporters for our rival teams,and fans of those teams will always be to suspend him, or kick him out of the league or whatever, they are just scared to face him on the field.

8. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Amen, brother.....AMEN!!!!