1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Hate Article about James Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Dec 11, 2011.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Another hate article about James Harrison:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... t-learning

Whats going on Steeler Nation? This hate stuff on Harrison is BS. I hope the Steeler Organization stands up against this mess. Hear is how I feel about it:

Man, this is total BS. What is going on here. Is this a hate on the Steelers conversations. I know that Steeler Nation is not going for this hate on the Steelers and James Harrison head hunting. What has the game come to? The game has become soft, You can't touch a QB or receiver. Why don't they just put flags on them and let it be a flag league. One thing that Steeler Nations knows is that it is a different situation when it comes down to or QB, Big Ben. He gets roughed up all the time and nobody comes up with a poll on if the colprits should be suspended of fined. The league is total BS with this. Mr. Rooney should not stand for what they are trying to put down. He should make it known that they will stop the madness against the Steelers. A good example would be Ben took a shot to the head against the Browns, and Mendenhall also took a helmet to helmet hit, both drew no flag! If a fine or suspensions comes down on this, then Mr. Rooney and the Steelers organization should take a stand against it once and for all. The organization should pay the fine and let it be known that we are not going to stand for the league's BS. That will put a stop to the league's madness. The fans should also take a stand against this BS that the league is putting down. I for one want to see some real football. Not all this pass and catch flag football stuff. Let them play. At this point, they might as well take away the offensive and defensive lines and let them play run and catch Flag Football. Let the QB stand back their and just throw the football like Tom Brady who you can't touch. Lets get back to the days of Mel Blount (who they changed the game because of his coverage) in a receivers pocket all the way down the field. He was the best at what he did. So, the answer to this poll is, if James Harrison gets fined or suspended, it's time for the Steeler organization to stand up and put an end to the madness of Roger Goodell and the NFL. If the Steeler organization pays the fine and appeal's both a suspension or fine, that will take care of the madness. The rest of the teams will follow suit and Goodell and league will stop this insane madness against the Steelers.

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While I agree with you all this madness towards the Steelers and the changes happening around the league, your facts aren't 100% accurate. I'm 95% sure the blow on Roethlisberger's head was flagged, and in the case of Mendenhall it wasn't flagged because it's not a penalty (not saying that's right or wrong, but it is what it is by the current rules).

I truly hope Harrison doesn't get fined and I desperately want the old football back.

Dear Rog, stop trying to make football something it's not!
    Sincerely,
    A Steeler fan that detests you!

3. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i expect more alot more and to hear about the crap throughout the pregame stuff today
    whether it's the browns coaches or colts daddy talking about colt's injury they will be sure to inject the statement of harrison's helmet to helmet,illegal,spearing,late 6 steps hit after he released the ball. name it they'll say it.
    like they are pushing for suspensioin and not just a fine.WHATEVER.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not as concerned about a 1 game suspension or a huge fine as I am Harrison's response to it. Dude could pull another Men's Journal and now that the lockout is over that could lead to big trouble.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep reading people saying that he dipped his head down. Well what else can be done with the head at that point? Leave it up and risk a neck injury. It was not a lead with the helmet (the brunt of the hit was with arms and shoulder), he did not launch (he was clearly on his feet driving through the hit). He did not intentionally head but him. The face masks collided during the hit. Perhaps the NFL should get rid of all facemasks and go to visors only.

6. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Someone said a little while back to just play without helmets and see who's still willing to play lol

7. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I am so sick of this "dipping the head" crap. Is the NFL serious about this issue? If so, then why are Running backs STILL allowed to lead with the crown of the helmet, STILL allowed to use the helmet as a battering ram?

[youtube:2ww76lta]KmrAyU3HcU0[/youtube:2ww76lta]

This highlight is still shown and exalted. Notice how Peterson used the helmet. This type of thing is STILL legal for RBs.

WHY?

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jones-Drew is the king of that type of running. He is already so low and then he leads with the helmet as a battering ram all the time -- makes him very hard to tackle, especially head on.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Jones-Drew is already so low because he's 3 feet tall.

I think the whole player saftety thing is just being done the wrong way. It was Hines who said if they were serious about safety, they would play without helmets.

The problem for me is that they keep adjusting existing rules which weren't designed with the same interests in mind. So they're basically always trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. If they're really concerned about QB safety, and not just wanting more high scoring games and more games like the annual pro bowl farce, then why not re-write their position completely (like Arena football or something).

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like the way the rules are currently being enforced either, but the fact is, it seems to be the same people being fined over and over, and Harrison is tops on that list.

At some point Harrison needs to realize that the rules aren't going anywhere and he needs to tackle differently. Other players have adjusted to the rules, Harrison hasn't and that's the problem.

The rules are clear, if you hit the head of a QB, you're going to get a fine and a flag. If you hit the head of a defenceless receiver, you're going to get fined. Harrison just needs to stop doing those things, because he's hurting the team and he's hurting himself.

11. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I do not agree with you on this -- I think it is more of selective enforcement of the vague rules. To say other do not tackle with the same style is wrong, often they let it go or it is just not as hard of a tackle/hit. Ray Lewis certainly has had helmet to helmet hits and not been called.

I would love for someone with the time and resources to compile a montage of hits that are similar and then cation them with Fines and Flags and the Non-fine and No-Flags. You will see inconsistency and blatent disregard, depending on who it is.

12. steelerzfannforever

steelerzfannforever Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You are absolutely correct about select enforcement of the rules. Ray Lewis gave Hines Ward a concussion by way of helmet to helmet contact and the result was no flag and no fine. If you reverse the play and say it was James Harrison or Ryan Clark hitting Anquan Boldin on a helmet to helmet hit, the field would have been littered with flags and the fine would have been huge!!! Someone needs to just take good ole Rog out back and knock his teeth out cuz this crap against the Steelers is not gonna stop!! We as fans would be better off beating our head against a wall than to think the NFL will change!! :frustrated:

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if it is selective enforcement, the fact of the matter is Harrison continues to break the rules. I don't like the rules, but it's now painfully obvious that if you touch a QB's head, you will get a flag. Harrison needs to understand that and adjust how he tackles. I don't care what happens to Ray Lewis, we need to worry about the things we can control. I love old school football, but it's gone and Harrison needs to realize that. He needs to really lower his point of contact, just like they do in hockey.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The more I hear, the more I'm fearing a suspension might be a likelihood. :(
    [​IMG]

15. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There is little doubt in my mind that Harrison will not be suspended for the hit. I love him as much as the next Steelers fan but the guy better change the way he plays this game or he won't be playing very much longer.

16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hate to admit it, but I agree with your points. I DONT" hate that it's you I agree with of course, I hate that I have to agree to the change for the good of our team. To stop penalty yards and possible suspensions of our valuable players.

I have the most serious problems with a portion of the new rules where you can't use your head at any point initially on any part of the body or something like that. How does a person with a head on their shoulders lower their body for a tackle on not lead with the head?!?!?!?!!!!!!! It's physically impossible.

Yes, the rules suck that an offensive runner can duck INTO an already lowered defender and the defensive tackler will get the flag. Utter and :bscow: total

(sorry about the mistake I made earlier an ommited the most important word in my whole post. So I made it red and capped.)

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Shouldnt God penalize the Browns somehow for letting McCoy reenter the game after what 3 plays? And without a proper concussion test. Player safety.

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Ray Lewis got fined for that hit on Hines.

Even if he didn't though, it has no bearing on what Harrison does. Harrison needs to adjust his style for the good of the team. Hit hard, but avoid the head. Hockey players do it all the time by lowering their shoulder and driving it into the chest of the other player. Rugby players also avoid hits to the head when tackling. It can be done, and Harrison needs to do it.

19. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure the NFL is looking into it.

Edit - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Harrison has walked the company line the entire season....period. Other guys have gotten fined. Harrison has not. Yet, he gets a suspension? The NFL front office is just stupid.

This again is a ruling based on consequence not on the game itself. The league hasn't defined this stuff and now they want to suspend our player. Once the QB leaves the pocket he is a runner. At what point does he once again become a passer? Is it because he throws the ball? Is it because he tries to throw the ball? If you hit the QB and as he falls back he smartly throws it at someones feet for an incomplete, are you now guilty?

IF Harrison gets fined, he gets fined for 1 thing and 1 thing only, McCoy has a concusion....period.

21. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    The only definition of repeat offender is someone who breaks the rules more than once. It doesn't say anything about breaking the rules more than once in the same season.

My question is this - just because Harrison can hit someone in the helmet legally, does he have to do it? Remember the games he missed from a broken bone in his face? That can happen to him every time he hits with his head.

He had no reason to throw his head forward when he hit McCoy. None. The ball was already gone but even if it wasn't, he was still going to make the tackle.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Jay Glazer on the Fox pregame show said that the NFL uses a two year statute of limitations for considering repeat offenders. That's the first time I'd heard that. I saw a couple articles from a google search to support it. Has anyone else heard that?
    About halfway down the page-
    Foxsports

23. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Never heard that TTF as I'm sure you can tell from my comment right above yours. Quite interesting to say the least.

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Of all the helmet-to-helmet hits I have seen over the past two years, this was one of the mildest. I didn't think that Harrison led with the crown of his helmet, nor did he "launch" himself at McCoy. He made a bee-line to McCoy and dipped his helmet, as anyone would, as a reflex action to the hit. Yes, you are told to keep your head up, but I can tell you, when I played HS football, it was "reaction" to dip that head somewhat as soon as contact is imminent. I'm not making excuses for James, but I think many agree that many of these hits aren't agegious or intentional. It is what it is.

BTW...saw a horrible (bad call) helmet-to-helmet personal foul called in todays Niners-Cards game. Big joke.

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Yep, he is a repeat offender who tried to walk the line as he was told to this year. The thing which worries me the most is that at this point someone in the front office has to show him what was illegal for the suspension to mean anything.