1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Football League Starting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am a sucker for these rogue leagues. I watched the XFL. I followed the World League. I liked the USFL. I watch CFL when its on. The only one I couldnt get into was the UFL. I am all for more football on my TV. Bring em on!

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Hines Ward is also part of the Think Tank. Not sure how they are going to get all this organized and out of the blocks less than 12 months from now? Unless they've pulled off another Manhattan Project and have been covertly planning this for years. You're talking stadium leases, security, permits, travel and a myriad of other logistics issues not to mention organizing 8 complete teams with ownership and management personnel. Run Forest run! :shrug:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...f-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

4. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    i kinda like the idea of the no onside kick instead the losing team gets the ball at the 35 on 4th and 10. Could be interesting.!

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A bajillion years ago I actually went to the inaugural USFL championship game. Not a lot of people there. A friend and I were the only people sitting in the upper level. We went to the top row of Mile Hile Stadium, got hammered, and looked out at the Rockies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's awesome. I'm sure the Rockies and booze were more entertaining than the game. I got to see 1 Maulers game. It was at Pitt stadium. I got a goofy cloth hat to commemorate the experience. I still have it somewhere. Wish I was old enough to be hammered at the time.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Me too. Chicago Blitz was my team. I was a George Allen fan and he was the head coach the first season.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Do you remember the RBs? One of my HS teammates. He was half of the first tandem in pro football to both get over 1,000 yds. each in the same backfield. He went on to the Chargers when the league folded. He used to tear the Steelers up. Then on to his Alma mater as RB coach. Then on to da bears as RB coach for lovie. Then on to the bucs where I believe he still is. I still say the holes I opened for him made him famous.:smiley1::cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Spencer or Long? I cheated, I didnt remember that for beans :lolol:

Thats a cool story though!

And of course you did :roflmao:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Spence. I saw him a few years ago. Still looks like he could play. I think he's still Tampa Bay's RB coach. He has coached some of the best too over his years. We still tell him We made him famous. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They know Mac, they know. Its the big men up front, the unsung heroes.

Did they call you BigMac? :lolol:

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Many have tried, many have failed. But, I often wondered why can't their be a minor league to the NFL. MLB has it, NHL has it, even the NBA has it.

But in the NFL world, if you don't pan out from the NCAA to the NFL, your odds are slim to none. Very few ever make it. I do like those stories of the guys who do.

I can remember NFL Europe, James Harrison was over in it for a year or two I think. But, it never worked out and it folded too. I think football is too expensive of a product to run without a TV deal, which is why the minor league thing doesn't work out, and it can't survive on fan attendance alone.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Actually no they didn't call me that. In those days we were not as big as the linemen now days. You couldn't use your hands like now. We ran the wishbone. Lean and mean. We had a couple of the biggest tackles in the valley at the time and they went around 220 and 230. I didn't hit that weight until my college days. Spence was big though, he was about 230 at Ohio state but ran a 10.1 hundred yard dash at the time. By the time he played pro ball he was as big as many linemen but still kept his speed and moves. He was kind of a freak that way. :cool:

• Like Like x 1