1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Dalton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 27, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Everyone.

I want to revisit an old topic that I was advocating awhile back, Mr. Andy Dalton. When Dalton was playing for the Bengals, he played very well against our division (except the Steelers) and overall. I realize that he has become a journeyman of sorts over there in the NFC and with very little to show for it.

I am not going to dig up his Bengal statistics (as I detailed before) for I will just speak of what I remember off of the top of my head. From memory, when I was on my “Go Get Andy Dalton” advocacy soap box, he had put up some very good numbers while playing for the Bengals. However, the Bengals, being who they were, still could not win a playoff game with a “poisoned” culture (common word around here as of lately) with the likes of Pac man Jones and Burfict.

However, and again, Dalton had very good statistics while with the Bengals. He played well against the rats and the stains. However, and again, he struggled consistently against us.

The arguments from some here back then to not get him were:
    • That he would be asking for too much money which at the time I believe he had 17 Million Dollars left on his contract.

• He wanted to be a starter.

• He wanted to be near his family (Texas).

All the above proved false as he took three million from Dallas, accepted a back-up roll to Dak Prescott and moved on from Dallas to Chicago (far away from Texas). Maybe the NFC just is not his “cup of tea” per se.

Personally, if Ben is gone, I would be in favor, at the very least, of giving Dalton a look as some here (more like most) are willing to pack Ben’s bags for him. If the Steelers are looking to bring in a Veteran and the likes of Aaron Rogers and Russell Wilson are out of our league, then again, I say let’s see what Mr. Dalton has. Maybe our division in some "figurative" way, provides a "comfort zone" for him. As the saying goes, there is no place like “home” (our division).

Hey just a thought.

For the record, I still want Ben back and if you did not get a chance, listen to Joe Greene's podcast which is a voice of reason IMO as to why to bring Ben back.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    hhhhmmm. I'm just going to wait for other responses to this.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Once upon a time...... upload_2021-12-27_16-23-29.jpeg . :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hell no

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Didn't read the whole original post but I wouldn't have a problem with it as a stop gap player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Have to disagree with bringing Dalton here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dalton wouldn't do any better with the Steelers than what Mason would do IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's a hard no for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    He would be even worse. Dalton is that bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 86WardsWay.

Your Quote: "....but I wouldn't have a problem with it as a stop gap player."

That is definitely part of my master plan (smile) to bring him in I think he would be better than Mason or whomever else is on staff right now except for Ben. If he can fill-in for a year or two, and fill-in with some decent play, that would be great. We were so fortunate to have gotten Ben in the draft and to have had him perform at such as high level from day one. That rarely happens as we all know.

Also, from what I have read, the college prospects coming out in the upcoming draft are slim pickings. Given that, the "stop gap" concept is how I see it with Dalton but maybe he turns out to be more than that. If Rodgers and Wilson are going to be out of our range, then we are going to have to look at Tier-Two players, where Mr. Dalton falls within.

Sometimes, a player just is not in the right situation to flourish. Dalton's statistics, while with the Bengals, are decent. Again, maybe his move over into the NFC, for whatever reason, was just not in the cards for him. Look, if he can play the way he did while with the Bengals and have the same success in our division that he had then, that is what I am predicating my stance on to bring him in. Just for a "Look" is not going to hurt.

Again, maybe his familiarity with our division, and the AFC as a whole, suit his play better for whatever reason.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Need to fix the line, green sucks too. Everyone sucks

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I agree with everything you just said but he would get killed behind our offensive line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I honestly don’t think the Steelers offensive line has one good player. Dotson possibly but he’s been hurt too long to really say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    honestly since i believe that no matter who they realistically have under center next year, they are gonna suck. at best another 8 win season. so my only concern is how much cap space they let the QB eat up. the more they pay for the QB the less they have to spend on other positions. dalton is making 10 million with the bears this year. rudolf is only costing the steelers 4 next year. if something is gonna suck irregardless , i'd rather pay the least amount as possible for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It’s as simple as run Rudolph and start filling the holes hope for the best but this team needs built up coaching included. Try to find the next heir gun slinger down the road

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That offensive line should get the most attention. As we all know too well, it is far from their only problem, but I think it is the most serious. If they are going to bring in a vet, I'd prefer someone that can move, like Mariota if he's affordable. They need so many players at so many different positions on both sides of the ball that I think they can afford to defer taking a QB until '22.

Anyway, as far as Andy Dalton? No. I honestly think Rudolph would be better. If Ben retires, I'd try to sign Mariota, let Haskins walk and keep Dobbs around.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dalton is a better quarterback than Mariota or Rudolph. I don't think any of them is a guy you want starting, but I think some people are forgetting that Dalton has had some decent seasons in the NFL.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Yes, I must agree with you. Our Offensive Line is downright pathetic. That is why, in big part, when some folks say that Ben should go, can't the same be said for Najee? His rushing statistics are not very good. The other day I did the math prior to the Chiefs' game. He was averaging about 3.6 YPC. When I took out his runs of ten yards or longer, and there are not that many of those, his YPC went down to about 3.2.

So, for all of the "know it alls" around here, please explain to me why Najee Harris is not playing "above the line" " just like Ben? We all know the answer, the O-Line.

I really thought that at this stage in the season we would have seen some measurable amount of improvement from the O-Line, yet there is none! Again, is it poor scouting, poor coaching, these players being in the wrong system, these players flat out stink? Which is it?

Come on. Show us something O-Line. Ben is not as bad as some make him out to be. If it is his mobility which some are complaining about, and yes it deteriorates with age, then what? There are other "non-mobile" quarterbacks in this league that are not under siege like he is. That is why he gets rid of the ball so quickly and Najee is the leading receiver on this team. Ben continues to fear for his health behind this O-Line and thus gets that ball out of his hands like a hot potato.

As Joe Greene stated in his podcast the other day, get Big Ben an O-Line. He should be back next season in Mean Joe's opinion as is mine. Again, Najee is struggling as well but no one is asking for him to hang it up. IT IS THE O-LINE. Fix that and watch both Ben and Najee experience dramatic changes to their performances.

Hey, all IMO.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
  21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He might be a better passer than either of them, but my question is can he move enough to keep himself from getting murdered behind this line if it isn't sufficiently upgraded. Plus, what would he cost? Rudolph is the devil we do know and although Mariota never really developed a consistent passing attack, he can move. I don't know what the difference in cost would be between Mariota and Dalton.

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I get everyone is looking for that next guy, but I have a question.

What do people expect from Bridgewater, Mariota, Dalton, etc. compared to Mason? Does anyone really think there's a significant difference between all those guys?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Dalton sucks in big moments.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dalton still has some mobility, certainly more than Roethlisberger. Actually, we know a lot more about Dalton than we do about Rudolph. We've got 11 years of data on Dalton. We've also got enough data on Mariota to know that he isn't very good. Also, if the offensive line isn't sufficiently upgraded, it won't matter who is playing quarterback next season. The team won't be going anywhere.

I'm not even sure Mariota will be cheaper. He's younger and some team will overvalue his ability to run and pay too much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    So let me get this straight, you would rather have a guy that can move that hasnt been successful as a passer in this league and has not had any success in winning over a guy who has had both? Sounds like a poor plan.

I agree with fixing the offensive line and then a lot of the issues we have had this year disappear. Most fans overlook the importance of the trenches, You have to control the line on both sides of the ball in order to be successful at this level and frankly we suck on both sides. We also suck at the 2nd level on defense which is why our safety is the teams leading tackler. Show me a team that has the safety as the leader tackler and I will all but guarantee that that team is not very good.

• Agree Agree x 1