1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

And, with the 25th pick of the 2016 NFL draft, the Steelers select...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by WWW, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Best QB available, time to think about the future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Best TE available, Miller is aging

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. O line, we need depth and to develop new talent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CB, to pair with... Gay / Boykin?

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. Safety, Allen / Mitchell are not the answer

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. RB / WR, just to stack the pile!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Best player available, at any position

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Other...

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That dude from Arkansas is a popular guy being mocked to us, and while I'd be ok with taking him, I don't think of him as being clearly superior to a DB that will probably be on the board.

While I'd love to see another defensive player taken 1st, especially DB, we can't neglect the offense for too long. TE might make the most sense when considering need and supply.

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I expect we will re-sign Gay and he'll play outside
    We won't re-sign Boykin because we will have Golson in the slot
    We will have Cockrell as the other outside corner

I hope we dabble in free agency to sign an outside corner... even the much maligned Morris Claiborne would make sense.
    Cortez Allen will be allowed to compete for a roster spot (doesn't make sense to cut him until after June 1 anyway)

Doran Grant will move to safety.

3. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    We better not take a TE in the first...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    They might be putting Senquez in the slot, at least that's where they were starting to prepare him before his injury. Cockring seems to be their long term "project" but his playing time/snaps were reduced in the playoffs.

Gay will most likely be re-signed but that's not a guarantee. Even we do draft a CB early, the rookie won't start.

My guess: Gay and Cockring on the outside and Senquez in the slot in 2016.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk how Cockrell autocorrects to Cockring. You in the piercing/body modification business? Lol

6. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014

I'm in other Steeler forums. That's our "nickname" for him. Bad habits. LOL:lolol:

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Got ya haha no big deal. I thought it was funny

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Other. I believe you should always draft the best player available, with adjustment factors (up or down) to the player rating depending on need. We should have upward adjustments for DB and pass rushers, and downward adjustments for WRs, RBs and QBs (and DEs and ILBs in the first round or two).

A team should never target a specific position in a round without taking player quality into account. If we say "we're going corner in the 1st no matter what," we could end up getting a crummy corner who brings no value just because we wanted to get a corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :club:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    See: Edwards, Troy ...April, 1999

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Hunter Henry, TE from Arkansas, is available the Steelers should take him. Exceptional all-around TE who isn't afraid to block and is probably a notch above Heath in athleticism and receiving ability.

12. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I think, with few exceptions, that he would fill the BPA role, and selecting a TE would also make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if a team moved in front of us to take him. I've liked what I read on him so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would go best available DT instead of NT. With the prerequisite pass rush ability.

14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If the BPA

If the BPA at 25 is an OLB I'm taking him. But if the number one TE is available at 25 but lets say the number 4 best OLB is available at 25, I'm taking the TE. Just my two cents.

15. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm hoping for CB with #1 corner physique in the first round but it is true that it's prime position and players rarely drop too much in draft at these positions. Quick note that I've not seen disgussed is after looking at draft order that a lot of the teams drafting before Steelers already have true #1 corner or have drafted corners in the first round. You never have too much of them but this makes it more of a possibility that Cincy, Minnesota, Houston, Jets or Buffalo does not go corner. Redskins I just don't know about their secondary. So altough a trade in front of Steelers is always possible it's possible that CB could be at least close to being BPA.

Edit: Actually after looking at whole draft order almost all other Playoff teams have true #1 corner and teams drafting at top 10 do not. Formula for success? Why not go that route. I see that some teams including the Steelers play a lot of zone and in cover 2 you don't depend that much on corners but remember no one plays like the old Bucs anymore and everyone mixes zone and man all the time. Panthers play a lot of cover 2 but they still rely on Norman taking away #1 WR etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  16. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, I think you're right. While I tend to stay on the BPA side of the fence, I think the CB's available to us (probably Apple and Fuller) will be close enough to BPA where it would make a whole lot of sense to take one. The TE, some DL and OLB's may actually present more value for pick #25, but CB is the higher need since if we get a good one, he'll play a lot.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will we move up to take a special player?

18. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I could see us trading up into the late teens if Hargreaves is still around. Seems like he checks all the boxes for what we want out of a corner, especially the willingness to stop the run.

19. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    With overall lack of picks they propably don't want to give away any more. I think Colbert & co. put a lot more value on number of new players and bodies that we think during the season ...but I also don't want them to trade down at least for now. If they need picks for rounds 5-6 look for trade with low pick on that round for 2017 picks on same rounds to balance it out.

20. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    A trade up is only possible if that trade or following trade after that involves 2017 pick so we don't lose more picks this year.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I would put the odds of the Steelers drafting a TE with a 1st round pick... at close to 0%

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd say the chances are likely in the single digits, too.

23. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    We need to get CB, S, D-line. Also, I want the Steelers to select Braxton Miller. Steelers scouts are reportedly very interested in him as well. I think the dude will be electric. Could be what Archer was supposed to be, only way better as he is 6'0 204 and actually is elusive

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was thinking just the opposite, with the lack of a 5th and 6th I was thinking we trade back a few spots and gain some extra picks. I think the 2 rb's out there may help us with that, let's say both Hendry & Elliott are there at 25 maybe someone wants to trade up????

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I would LOVE that. He is a phenomenal athlete and can be a special slot receiver who could eventually go outside. I think he is another Percy Harvin, but bigger and probably better. There was just a really good video earlier today on Yahoo's Twitter that showed Braxton put a nasty hesitation cut move on some senior bowl CB and just made him look foolish. It was a thing of beauty.