1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

And, with the 25th pick of the 2016 NFL draft, the Steelers select...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by WWW, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Best QB available, time to think about the future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Best TE available, Miller is aging

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. O line, we need depth and to develop new talent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CB, to pair with... Gay / Boykin?

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. Safety, Allen / Mitchell are not the answer

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. RB / WR, just to stack the pile!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Best player available, at any position

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Other...

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Early, early poll...

2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Other....OLB as Harrison, Jones and Moates aren't long term options

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You forgot OLB, that's all they seem to draft lately. You had CB to pair with Gay, Boykin in the poll neither one of them is under contract for next season, the only CBs under contract are Cortez and Cockrell.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Other: Pass Rusher

I think we are good at CB... I have a sneaking suspicion that Senquez Golson is going to be a good one for us. Seems like a sharp dude, and he is hungry.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In a perfect world....
    • Don't pick up Jarvis's 5th year option so you don't have to pay him $9M, but work on extending him to a reasonable contract, so you get to keep his services. He's still getting better and I still believe he can be the Robin to Dupree's Batman. If some stud pops up in the 4th round and takes over, great, but I definitely don't want to start over with another high investment.
    • Extend Boykin, and then... here's the tricky part... actually play him. Start him.
    • Target SS and CB early in the draft.
      • At CB, plan to start Gay / Boykin.
        • Have Golson / Grant / high draft pick / Cockrell battle it out the remaining order. Gay, Boykin, and Golson make a decent team now, and the rookie can be groomed to replace Gay in a year or two.
        • Cut Cortez Allen. Sorry Cortez, but I think we have a LaMarr Woodley situation on our hands. Thanks for the effort, and enjoy your money.
        • You'll notice I didn't mention Antwon Blake. Personally I'd like him to stick around and play ST and be a 4th CB, but I'm worried as long as he's on the roster he'll be starting over better players. If I'm Colbert I might cut him just to keep him away from Tomlin.
      • At SS, have Golden / high draft pick battle it out for the starting position.
    • Other positions to be open to in high-mid rounds: OL, DE, and of course BPA if someone is really too good to pass up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    my vote is qb
    we gotta have someone when ben gets dinged up
    and hes gonna get dinged up

7. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    1st - BPA (SS, CB, OLB)
    2nd - BPA (SS, CB, OLB)
    3rd - BPA (SS, CB, OLB)
    4th - TE
    5th - DE/DT need depth
    6th - QB
    7th - whatever

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Round One- Cravens, Billings, Fuller, Apple

Round Two- Best available safety. If Cravens is picked as a safety, then best available NT or CB

Round Three- O-line, TE

Round Four- TE, O-Line, RB

Round 7A- BPA

Round 7B- BPA

9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think we need to go best DB available (safety or corner) in the first, but if forced to choose I vote safety. Call me crazy, and I have nothing but a gut feeling to explain it, but I think Cortez Allen will still be a good player for us.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Voting on a strictly need basis...I would have to go safety. I think some good CBs can be had in the second. Houston's William Jackson III would be my target.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I voted other, but it really is BPA with a caveat.

Positions we will not take...QB, RB, WR....for instance. We will identify 3 or 4 positions we want to target and then take BPA of the players from the group at those positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Kiper says Kendall Fuller. If dude is as good as his brother I will be very pleased with that pick. I also will be extremely surprised. Also I read an article on like Steelers Depot or something that said some say Su'a Cravens and a guy that I work with told me that dude is really awesome.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If we have an out on the Cortez deal I wish with all my heart that we'd take the stupid thing.

14. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015

I like Senquez, but he's going to be challenged by bigger receivers. I say, second round grab the corner from Houston. I prefer going safety to replace Will Allen who shouldn't be a starter anywhere, but I doubt a young safety will get much playing time. A rookie corner, if good could get playing time.

Hell..Ross got time (and imo he's the best cover corner the Steelers have) and he's only finished his second year and was a cut player.

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. BPA all the way, with exceptions.

Clearly DB is a need. But the draft isn't for filling immediate needs. It's for filling your future roster with talent. But if we're sitting at #25 and we have a #30 grade on a CB and a #20 grade on a DT, I think in this scenario need plus talent would win out over pure talent and we take the CB. But if we reach for a DB when a top-10 talent is sitting there for us I wouldn't be too happy, even if it's a WR.

QB is probably the only position I would not draft in the 1st round, but we are approaching Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers territory here and wouldn't be completely mad if we took one.

I don't think we take a RB either, mainly because I don't think any grade out high enough where we'd roll the dice on one over a position of higher need. Haven't really researched that position yet, though.

16. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Voted BPA without reading "at any position".
    I do think they will try and target a safety or OLB in the first. Possibly a NT or TE if any impact ones are available.
    With Golson coming back from injury they will use that as an excuse not to target a CB early.

17. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I like Su'a Cravens, but need another CB. William Gay is in his 10th year in 2016. He isnt young anymore. Will Allen will be in his 13yr.. he already sucks and isnt young anymore. Antwon Blake sucks, Cockrell is mediocre. Excluding Mike Mitchell, William Gay, Senquez Golson, Brandon Boykin, Robert Golden.. the rest can seriously get cut.

Next year DB cuts I need to see made is Shamarko Thomas, Antwon Blake Dorian Grant and sign Ross Cockrell to the practice squad.

Draft 2 CB, 1 FS, 1 SS, 1 NT, 1 OLB and QB in the later rounds or UFA.

I seen this amazing OLB we can steal from a small school. He is really impressive!!!

Emmanuel Graves

Maybe a 6RD Steal.

I love Fuller, Apple and Jackson as 1st Rd CB.
    Sutton in the 2nd CB.
    Sanchez, Canady, Murray, Moreau and Burns in the 3rd CB.

FS Mills, Thompson, Bush.
    SS Kearse, Cash, Bell, Killebrew and Byard.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1st round positions to look at
    CB, SS, OLB

1st round under the radar possibilities
    TE, OL

1st round do not draft positions
    NT, QB, RB, WR, DE, ILB, FS

personally I think we will take a secondary guy then a TE or OL in the first two rounds. Probably secondary again in 3 or 4. I'd look to add depth at OLB in the round we don't take secondary. Then fill out with depth at DL and whichever position we didn't draft in the top rounds between TE and OLB.

19. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Gay, Boykin and Golson are all best suited to be slot corners...

20. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    At 25, you draft for need... not BPA.

BPA is a myth, while making draft boards is fun and all. The reality is that players are broken into tiers. they aren't numbered, they are grouped.

at 25, unless there is ONLY 1 player left in your highest tier, you go with greatest need from within the tier.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cravens played safety as a freshman, then he played LB the last 2 seasons. I'm not sure what position he projects to in the NFL.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Haha, I guess we should only play one of them then, and hire some high school players to play on the outside because they are better there than in the slot. As per Tomlin's thinking.

Golson has never played in the NFL. They all have experience on the outside. If I could have the ideal players I would, but we have to play the best we have, and if Gay and Boykin are the best two corners on the team, then they have to play.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    CB naturally but not likely at 25. They will do as always, BPA. This might be the year they grab a TE, I could see that being available at 25.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Try telling the Steelers that? LOL. KC will be coming out with his BS about BPA shortly. And we all know that this is BS.
    I have quit trying to figure out the Steelers draft process, please just get the best ball hawking, best tackling safety available,
    either thru the draft or FA. Watch they will take an OLB. LOL Just a side note
    the window is closing on #7 the player, we need the pieces in place quickly.

25. BLACKGOLD CHAMPS

BLACKGOLD CHAMPS Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    It depends on how the roster shakes down but we all know the secondary needs will have to be met.