1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

An Open Letter to Steeler Nations by Art Rooney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Received this email this morning.

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players' intentions in not taking the field for the National Anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statements by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem – which was never our players' intention.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designed to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff.

Sincerely,

Art Rooney, II

Pittsburgh Steelers

• Like Like x 5
  2. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Is anyone else sick of all this political sh*t taking over our sports? If I cared to watch anything political I'd turn on Fox News or CNN... I just want to watch football, as the Steelers just want to play football.

It's so aggravating to turn on FS1 or ESPN to see them talking about the same stuff that news stations talk about.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Yep, that's all ESPN was talking about last night after the game. I miss the days where politics only came up every 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You received an email, Art? I've received a couple hundred.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The media is part of the problem.. they keep throwing logs on the fire other wise they would have nothing to report. There should be some type of directive to put this crap to rest, but like I said the media is a large part the problem just throw another log on the fire!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He has a better spam filter than you do Chief.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016

Couldn't agree more, all ESPN and FS1 consists of is Trump, Lebron, Kap, some more Lebron, protests, Lebron seen taking a sh*t somewhere public, how it smells, and some more Trump and politics.

I'm falling more and more in love with podcasts, because the people on them don't care what they say, and most of the people on them start their own because they are also sick of politics in sports.

8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I feel you Sir...I know it hasn't been easy for you the last few days we are a passionate bunch and maybe alittle hard headed at times, but we all mean well and not to mention you could have closed alot of accounts, but didn't thank you for your patience and understanding in that matter. We will all heal and get past this and Steeler Nation will the better for it and get back to just Football and being diehard Steeler fans. Once again thank you Sir this message board is second to none.

• Like Like x 2
  9. muddy

muddy New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    yes, I'm sick of ESPN too

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The damage control only annoys me more. OK it wasn't a boycott, but it was a protest and many perceive that as disrespecting our service men and women. I don't think they can backtrack from what they did.

Move on and don't make it worse by throwing BS on top of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This has turn into a **** storm because they didn't stay together. This would have been over already. Now Ben is releasing statements that probably won't change anybody's opinion that is mad at them for missing the anthem but his statement is pissing off people who thought they should protest. They are basically pissing everybody off.

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Because they're dumb jocks not qualified to do anything other than ball:lolol:

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I thought they were Martyrs.:rolleyes:

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You guys should watch Tomlin's Tuesday presser, the man is worked up!

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Says who? I thought everybody has their rights.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Link?

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Somebody will have to throw it on here, I got a Facebook alert and watched on my lunch break

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the fallout from the botched attempt at showing unity will be a rallying point for the team. In a situation like this, winning is the best tonic for a sports team. I expect to see a lot of positive energy Sunday.

19. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    As much as it pains me to say this, the Steelers organization, especially Mr. Rooney, would learn a lot of from the Cowboys organization, in particular their owner, for how to handle this situation. The sh*t storm that has escalated because of some very poor decisions, starting with the owner and head coach, has this situation spiraling out of control.

The more they talk, the deeper the hole gets.

I was proud to be a Steeler fan for almost fifty years because I thought the organization stood for principle.

Their actions on Sunday proved me wrong.

I'm not going to say that I will never watch a Steeler game again, but Sunday's decision not to stand in unison on the sidelines while the National Anthem was sung left a sour taste in my mouth and will forever change the opinion that I had for this organization.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The cowboys did no better. If we take that approach, we can do the same with the Steelers bc they didnt kneel at all.

I have been a fan since 1975. From July to Feb majority of my conversations are about the Steelers. The majority of my winter clothes are Steeler related. My man cave is Steeler themed. I too wont say I will never watch a game but sure does suck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    As a Veteran, I can honestly tell you that I give less than a whooy what the players did before the first snap or after the last whistle. If the players all want to sit on their thumbs in protest of Big Macs...well I guess I will run to McDonalds if urge takes me there. Honestly, why is this even an issue. Do I believe it to be disrespectful when someone doesn't stand and pay honor to our flag? The answer would be yes...I fought and sacrificed for that same flag. But, I can no more make them do it than they can stop me from saluting the flag when I see it. I believe what I believe and a player kneeling, standing, doing cartwheels during the national anthem is not going to change that, nor is it going to change my fandom for the Steelers. This team and my love of it will be here long after this fad has run its course!

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

23. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    I think that's the point Mr. Rooney is missing. Disengaging from the issue is the same as not respecting the flag or anthem. At least, that is what the public perception is anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he's missing the point at all. I believe a whole bunch more people are though.

Im still trying to figure out how a bunch of players standing for the Anthem was disrespectful.

You all are sure putting a lot of emphasis on where they stood. Again, I dare anyone to look at that photo and tell me who was being disrespectful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Finished watching the game. Will have my own thread plus the next installment on the front page of the site for the "Winners and Losers" as well.

Regarding your point, I believe that situational football will be a major point of emphasis this week; nevermind the basics. Third down conversions, gap containment, gap assignemtns, blocking, combative catching and more will need to be rectified before high noon in Baltimore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.