1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazing drafting skills...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Was just talking to a friend, about why the Steelers are better than the Clowns.
    Was making a point about whose draft picks have stuck around, and whose are gone...
    `Nuff said about that, but, while I did, I found a cool page...
    http://www.steelerfury.com/content/stee ... raft-picks
    To me, it is amazing, how, you can look at the picks from each year, and see how many of them have stuck around to contribute to our team, each year, compared to how many would from another team`s picks...
    On a side note... I STILL wish we wouldn`t have gotten rid of T. Gibson, last year, but , oh well...
    compared to the mistakes of the Clowns(Couch, Warren, Winslow, Brown, Quinn, Edwards, not to mention the free agent mistakes, like, Hillis, Orlando Pace, Donte Stallworth, etc...) ...
    It`s pretty obvious why we compete for the Lombardi every year, and they just wish they could get in the playoffs, and have a chance at one...
    A 28 year old ROOKIE qb?!?!? Really?!?!
    Have to admit, I borrowed that thought from a thread in the "draft room"...
    But, it`s true.. They are happy with that pick, and think it will help them.
    I live among them...
    And I know, we will just crush them again next year, and leave them broken... and I will laugh..
    And they will still be scratching their heads, and sayin`... NEXT YEAR!!! :lolol:
    While we bring home our 7th Lombardi, with help from our much improved O-line! :cool: :thumbs_up: :rawk: :yeehaw:

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for posting that, very cool to see it laid out like that.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Every year I wonder whether THIS will be the year Colbert swings and misses. It just doesn't happen. He just seems to be so aware of he talent and the value at each stage of the draft. I think we almost take it for granted. He may not have hit a home run with every pick, but he hits enough singles, doubles and triples to keep the Steelers dominant year after year.

Here's to Colbert!

:herewego: :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego: :towel: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego: :herewego: :towel: :yeehaw:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    looks like a tailgate party in gold lot.^^^^^^^ :-D :cool:

5. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I gotta come to the Burgh some Sunday just FOR the tailgating. I can't afford a ticket, but I could park somewhere and walk to a tailgate party, couldn't I?

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yes you should.
    Many years ago I took a Bengal fan to a Steelers/Bengals game at TRS and I told him we needed to get there by 8 am and he said why? We pulled into the lot about 8:30 and it was packed to the hills full of tailgate parties. He couldn't believe it and literally said you Steelers fans are nuts!
    Unfortunately the game had the Steelers up by 4 points with a 4th and 18 and the Bengals on their own 42 yard line with 8 seconds remaining on the clock. They ran James Brooks straight up the middle for a TD and won the game. While he was hootin and hollerin with about 50O other bengals fans I left him in the Stadium all by himself and proceeded to the Parking lot again with tens of thousands of diappointed Steelers fans. He came back to the car about a half an hr later saying what a game! I told him get in the car and don't expect to come back. Needless to say I've never taken an opposing fan to another game.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Preparation, ability to be able to tell if they will transition to the next level,
    hard work. These traits are what make up the Steelers FO and scouting department.
    And alot of luck, like Colbert has said you better not miss on those first 3 rounders,
    or you have set yourself back 2-4 years. Think about it?

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The last three drafts are looking really good for us (providing this one turns out like we think it will). It is amazing the number of starters and contributors they have. It is amazing the number of guys that make the roster. We went from old to young in the past three drafts.

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    When they let Mendenhall walk, 2008 will be a total disaster.

10. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Yes you should.
    Many years ago I took a Bengal fan to a Steelers/Bengals game at TRS and I told him we needed to get there by 8 am and he said why? We pulled into the lot about 8:30 and it was packed to the hills full of tailgate parties. He couldn't believe it and literally said you Steelers fans are nuts!
    Unfortunately the game had the Steelers up by 4 points with a 4th and 18 and the Bengals on their own 42 yard line with 8 seconds remaining on the clock. They ran James Brooks straight up the middle for a TD and won the game. While he was hootin and hollerin with about 50O other bengals fans I left him in the Stadium all by himself and proceeded to the Parking lot again with tens of thousands of diappointed Steelers fans. He came back to the car about a half an hr later saying what a game! I told him get in the car and don't expect to come back. Needless to say I've never taken an opposing fan to another game.[/quote:3kzpmbyz]

So - to follow up on my question (and then I'll drop my hijacking of this thread) - are there fans at the tailgate parties that don't have tickets to the game? I'd love to take my son to the Burgh - go to a tailgate party - and then catch the game from a sports bar. Does anyone actually do that? Truly - I cannot afford a ticket. Just the cost of gas and tolls, plus food (and a contribution to whosever tailgate party I went to) would probably be as much as I could afford.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Interesting list, but one flaw stands out really bad. Woodson doesn't have the red denoting HoF status.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So - to follow up on my question (and then I'll drop my hijacking of this thread) - are there fans at the tailgate parties that don't have tickets to the game? I'd love to take my son to the Burgh - go to a tailgate party - and then catch the game from a sports bar. Does anyone actually do that? Truly - I cannot afford a ticket. Just the cost of gas and tolls, plus food (and a contribution to whosever tailgate party I went to) would probably be as much as I could afford.[/quote:1ruax47f]

A little advice:
    The Steeler fans support their team better than any other line of thought is a myth.
    If you really want to go to a game on the cheap and are willing to tough out the weather, then go to a December game. Especially if its against a bad team and the Steelers have little to play for. You should be able to buy tickets from a scalper near game time for face value or less. The last 2 this year versus the Bengals and Browns look to be ripe for the pickin.

13. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    A little advice:
    The Steeler fans support their team better than any other line of thought is a myth.
    If you really want to go to a game on the cheap and are willing to tough out the weather, then go to a December game. Especially if its against a bad team and the Steelers have little to play for. You should be able to buy tickets from a scalper near game time for face value or less. The last 2 this year versus the Bengals and Browns look to be ripe for the pickin.[/quote:36apqv7c]

Not sure I want to drive all the way from Cleveland and take that chance, though.

14. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    @mdBates2

Come on man! Of course it's worth it. It's for the Steelers isn't it?? :D

But seriously, it's like a 2 hour drive from stink town. And you're with family there, unlike watching a Steelers game in clown town with all of the idiots there. 8-)

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A little advice:
    If you really want to go to a game on the cheap and are willing to tough out the weather, then go to a December game. Especially if its against a bad team and the Steelers have little to play for. You should be able to buy tickets from a scalper near game time for face value or less. The last 2 this year versus the Bengals and Browns look to be ripe for the pickin.[/quote:2l0rbqzr]

Not sure I want to drive all the way from Cleveland and take that chance, though.[/quote:2l0rbqzr]

I have scalped tickets for years @ Three Rivers, Heinz field, the colder it gets the more tickets become available.But always remember the bigger the game the bigger the price. Face plus 15% grat
    usually gets you in the game. You may have to wait until KO for this.

16. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    YESSS!!!! Absolutely, take the short 2 hour trip to tailgate, then watch the game from a bar!!!!
    You will NOT regret it, I guarantee you!
    I have done this for a couple of games, and had a ball!!!
    I also bought scalper tickets to one game, which was awesome, too.
    I wouldn`t COUNT on getting scalped tix cheap, even if it`s winter, or the Clowns playin, or you wait till last minute, tho.
    The last game I went there for, was when we played the clowns.(McCoys first start).
    Had some friends that went, as a last minute kinda thing, and I figured if I just watched the first half from the bar( there is a whole strip of them within walking distance of the stadium, but a word of advice, if you want a seat at any of them, forget the tailgating, or at least leave it, 2hrs+, before kickoff, `cause they get PACKED!)...
    Anyhow, I thought if I waited till halftime, I would be able to get a ticket from a scalper dirt cheap, since they would be holding onto them for a loss at that point, anyhow.
    Problem was... when I walked back down by the stadium, there wasn`t a scalper to be found ANYWHERE!!!
    They didn`t come down on price right before kickoff, either(at least not below 100 bux, which was outta my budget)...
    So, I learned that won`t work.
    It was still worth every minute of it, just to be among all the Black-n-Gold faithful!
    Especially during a Clowns game!
    Even the "Steeler Bars", around here, have plenty of ignorant, obnoxious, Clown fans, that you have to hear during the game...
    Being in a 100% Black N Gold bar, right up the road from the stadium, was INCREDIBLY better than watching it anywhere in NE OHIO....
    Also, watched the first half of the Championship game we lost to New England, from a hotel bar, near Heinz, then took a cab to the strip, for the second half.
    A loss always sux, but at least I was surrounded by other Steeler fans...
    You just would not believe how much better it feels to watch us play the Clowns, when you don`t have to hear their fans all game!! ;)

17. me109

me109 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Since 1990 we have averaged 1 guy that was a pro bowler, or in the running for pro bowl, and there was a defensive player of the year ......WOW. Show me another team that can say that.