1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Almost every mock I see...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Watt Wack, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    ...has us taking CB or OLB in round 1.

Is it just me, or does the average "expert" miss badly on which way we are leaning in the draft?

We signed one of the team's highest profile free agents n team history on Haden last year plus have a first rounder in Burns at CB and some other spare parts in Hilton and Sutton to work with.

We have two 1st rounders at OLB - I don't see them drafting another OLB in the 1st.

One could argue we STILL need another legit OLB but I don't think the team does, considering they just agreed to the 5th year option for Bud.

To me, they take whoever stands out as special at the ILB, NT, S or RB positions. I have been warming up on UGA Michel lately, as I don't think Guice will be there at 28.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    ESPN and NFL network both had their mock drafts Sunday night. Both selected RBs (ESPN picked Guice, NFL took Sony Michel). Vander Esch was their both times, and damned if the Patriots didn't pick him both times.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We are weak at corner. Haden has been banged up over the last couple years. Burns has looked horrendous at times. Gay is gone. Hilton can not play outside. Sensebaugh is awful. No one knows what Sutton will turn into. Will he ever stay healthy?

I can see why some sites mock a CB to us.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers don't always draft out of need. Take last year for example. Do you really think they needed a 2nd round pick on an WR when they took JuJu?

Everyone (including myself) kept saying, come on we need a safety, we need a corner etc.

I watched JuJu play and he killed my Penn State Nittany Lions in the Rose Bowl that year. I knew he was decent, but I was like really? We have bigger needs, we have Brown, Byrant (coming back), and Eli Rogers.

Then you get JuJu, and he turns out to maybe be the steal of WR's in the draft.

Goes to show you Colbert takes guys, who he has highly rated, not out of team need, but out of skill and who has rated highest.

I'm happy they took JuJu, now by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I see it, nothing is off limits should whomever their top linebacking propsect is not be unavailable at 28. Nothing is guaranteed within three days time.

That being said, given the fact that Colbert generally chooses the "Best Athlete Available", someone like Jaire Alexander from Louisville will likely be in play come 28. Essentially, he could be what JuJu Smith Schuster will be; killing two birds with one stone.

Joe Haden is going to sting very hard on next year's cap and this year could be the proverbial "do or die" season for Artie Burns. Jaire Alexander solves both of these issues thanks in part to the depth we have and his ability to come and play right away.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I could see us taking a CB in rnd 1, but an OLB would be a real shocker. I don't think we draft one this year tbh.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Unless they move him inside. Timmons was an OLB too. It took a little while to get him up to speed but it worked out because he could run. I think Carter is in play and I think Jewell is too. He is just a good football player. The numbers show that. Carter though has all the traits you want from a move LB except the experience. Bostic gives us some time for that. The big safeties are in play too I believe.:cool:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree, they still have no real depth at OLB they better draft one this year.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    they may you never know....but I think they only visited with one prospect this entire time. And he is a 7th rounder.. Doesn't seem like they are putting in the effort. Granted, the visits aren't the be all end all, but you'd think they'd want to have a couple in if they are looking to target the position. Plus they only had 23 visits, they had 7 to spare.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I could live with a CB. If Isaiah Oliver or Mike Hughes are available, they would be strong contenders for the pick depending who else is left on the board.

I'm not seeing a OLB worth taking at #28 unless Harold Landry fell, but I doubt that happens.

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they go back to best player available this year and i am scared it will be jackson

12. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    OLBs can be converted. See: Timmons, Shazier.

13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've thought for awhile now that it looks like the value at the end of the 1st is gonna be cb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I can see a fatuation with Jackson and I think long term he could be the best QB in the draft.

But it makes no sense to pay a precision route runner like AB BIG money to bring in a guy like Jackson. Great player. Bad fit.

15. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Agreed. The offense as is would be completely different.
    On the other hand, Watson looked great with a receiver like Hopkins.

Jackson is electrifying. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious to see an offense hitting in all cylinders with a talent like Jackson.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I feel Tomlin secretly loves the idea of drafting him.

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    agree to a certain point. a lot of browns big plays come from ben extending the play. Jackson will have that ability. damn, I have to stop or I will talk myself into the pick haha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Landry would probably be the only one that could possibly fall into our range...after Landry there isn't another OLB worthy at 28 besides the obvious top couple...

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They have 3 guys two of which are draft picks. Huguenin had the exact same numbers in preseason that watt had. 11 tackles and 2 sacks in 4 games. It seems we are putting more emphasis on creating sacks from different locations over just OLB. D-Line had 23 , DBs had 6, and ILB had 10 . OLB then had there share 17. :cool:

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Helped that Timmons was never going to be a good OLB in the NFL.

Don't be surprised if one of the CB's falls and they take him though.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No position would surprise me this year. :cool:

22. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Personally, I see us going defense, but so much just depends on all the other teams ahead of us. I saw Bouchette say that in his writers mock he went CB because all the good LB's went earlier. I see best available defender in the 1st. QB/RB/WR should all be off the table for the 1st round.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude those guys aren't in the mix, Adams and Huguenin they will be looking for a upgrade IMO.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Why would you draft a guy and never see what you have? That's the stupidest thing they could ever do. I think they are very much in the mix. Why have them if not? Wow just wow 6.:cool:

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Those guys will get a look, but they also need to draft somebody who is of a higher caliber.