1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

All this talk about Ben and the O

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Coaching isn’t a problem as Keenan Allen just caught his 26th catch being covered by a middle linebacker....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #43 and the rest of the D bailed Tomlin and Ben out of a lot of games back in the day... that is for sure.

Coaching was a problem in last night's game for sure, but I think it was more Coach Whiz made adjustments at half, and was able to force us into bad matchups. I don't think Butler "planned" on a LB covering Allen. SD just forced their hand with personnel and pre snap shifting. Butler just didn't counter in the game.

But no one is going to convince me that we have as good of talent as the 2008 defense. We are subpar at every position talent wise.

3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The defensive coaching is a problem and they can fire Butler for all I care but Ben is definitely hurting this team at times. If he could simply hit a wide open receiver reliably we might have won the last two games. Same if he could somehow figure out how to not throw at least one brain dead interception a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel Ben is a better QB when he has a solid running game, in which with the amount of carries Conner gets is way off. 45 attempts to 15 touches for Conner. Sorry this is not the balance I was looking for in this game, or the 2 previous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelerssix

Steelerssix Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I would like to see a wholesale housecleaning including Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wasn't Ben running some playaction earlier this year... that has gone away hasn't it?

The problem is some QB's get too enamored with their "gift" to throw the ball that they abandon the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    That's tough because we need to replace both. In my opinion, we need to make three big changes next year to start the process of getting back to being real contenders.

1. Tomlin's got to go. It amazes me that people can still say coaching is not a problem.
    2. Colbert has got to go. Other than WRs, he's not good at evaluating talent, especially on the defense.
    3. Ben's got to go. I love the guy but his time is up. He should have retired a season ago. He's just hurting his legacy by staying now. And if Ben doesn't retire, the organization needs to go in a different direction anyway.

If I had to pick 1, I suppose it would be Tomlin. Ben can be controlled a bit better by a more disciplined coaching staff. That means Fictner has to go too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steelerssix

Steelerssix Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    You are right that we don't know what they have in Dobbs, however, your reasoning is flawed. Still being on the team might not be any indicator of talent. Remember Laundry Jones? To me Dobbs will be just another running college QB, much like Jackson with the ravens. Won't be able to make a living in the NFL as a QB that way. Like to see what Rudolph could do (besides lead a sled) with his size and arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty much sums it up.

A HUGE Ben fan here.. but sometimes the dude just throws balls and you're like WTF was that. He'll then come back from 2 TDs down in five minutes and win the game.

Not good for heart health.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben or Dobbs are the Steelers only QB options?

11. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Weird about Ben and him having “lost it”. He has always been a gunslinger, trying to make something out of nothing. His decision making has always been a bit questionable. After seeing him zing to AB, I am not sure his physical skills have diminished that much. I think defenses might be able to confuse him a bit more, and he is a tad more up-and-down than he used to be, but he is not “the problem”. There is not “the solution” - it is a team game, from coaching, staff, and players. They are a complex mix, and right now they are mixed up. But they almost won last night after everything went against them. It is nice to have a team for which we can say “they should have won” rather than expecting defeat every week because of a lack of talent. As Steelers fans, we are blessed and cursed with high expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I could tell you, but you wouldn't like the answer.

13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Dare I say it, I've felt his long ball is the best it's looked since... ever. He was definitely off on some of the short stuff last night, making me think there's a mystery/hidden injury there that he's not sharing.

14. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    A big problem is the coaching allowing or calling the plays where he throws ints like the end of Denver game. Ben is a great QB but even great QBs shouldnt have the freedom to not be coached or want to be coached..I think Tomlin has lost this team and needs to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Play call aside, Ben threw the damn ball .Sometimes his arm and brain seem to be in 2 different places .Dont know what it is , but I have the least amount of trust in him as I’ve ever had.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel with the seemingly abandonment of running the football that Fitchner is just Ben's puppet. Don't get me wrong, Ben has been our Franchise QB for a long time, but even being the gunslinger we all know and love to hate his decision making of late is beyond head scratching. Which leads me back to what I believe, he is a better QB with a solid running game.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012