1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alex Highsmith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jimmyallen45, Jan 8, 2023.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Alex is tied for FF with 5 as well

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i had thought this was the year for him to turn it up, saw flashes last year.

he is entering yr 4, so , yes, he will get a big contract. With he and Watt at 100% next year, we ought to be a top 5 defense. we don't have limitless $$, as we all know....

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    True, but that's just the difference between getting hardly any doubles because of TJ vs. getting all of TJ's doubles because we didn't have anyone else. The fact that he still averaged a half sack a game when he was the guy getting all the attention shows a lot to me. He's no TJ Watt, but he still is a very good player. Better than Dupree imo.

I bet he prices himself out of Pitt unfortunately. Would love to keep him, but I think someone will be able to afford more than we can offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So next year we draft a second or third round OLB. This year we need a #3, not something we need to spend a top 4 draft choice on (unless someone falls in our lap).

5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was thinking of replying with the same kind of reminder about his dip in production when Watt was out vs. being on the field, but then I though about how once Highsmith was Batman - who was his Robin to help him? A bunch of way below average nobodies that who. They could then key on Alex, so it makes sense his production was down.

I’m just glad we have two intensely good pass rushers again like some of the good ol days.

It just feels right. Like the universe is in order.

• Like Like x 2
  6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Shoot. I basically just said the same thing. Should have read all the posts before I chimed in like usually try to do. Restating points is boring. But it wasn’t plagiarism, I assure you.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I look for an extension for him and Sutton, hopefully it
    won't break the bank for both of these.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I've been thinking about this as well. There has been nothing spoken..yet, but no doubt the man has outplayed his contract and wants paid. Will he come to camp and play, or possibly sit out? Not saying he will, but seeing so many around the league go down he has to at least have the thought about the millions on the line.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I believe you haha great minds think alike ;)

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah that's possible. Allows us to be outbid on Highsmith and still have 2 quality guys if we get that pick right.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. I was going to post the same, but figured I'd wait.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe until Watt is done...most Guys opposite of Him will do pretty well. I can't tell You how much on 3rd downs, and critical situation they double, and even double, and chip Watt. Don't believe Me go look at most (not all ) sacks by everyone else while Watts on the field, and then look at what's going on with Watt.

13. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    It's too bad that it's even a discussion if the Steelers can resign Highsmith. While I think the money these guys are making nowadays is just plain disgusting, I hate the salary cap. I don't understand why the players ever allowed it to come about.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    With no salary cap the Steelers would be bottom feeders.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. We need to be thankful that the NFLPA is a relatively weak union, at least compared to MLB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Take a look at what Alvin the great is doing in Titans land :lolol:

I want to see them extend Highsmith but I feel Sutton comes first. If they can't get a deal done with Highsmith he is under contact for the 23 season. The ol franchise tag can be used in 24 if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Exactly it be Pittsburgh Pirates 2.0

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....backing up what I said. He looked good across from Watt....again while Watt is at the top of His game....most players across from Him will look good.

19. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The stats for highsmith and heyward with and without tj don't lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed....also look at the turnover rate with Watt, and without.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Those of you predicting a big payday or teams throwing lots of money at him can you tells us which teams? Not that you are wrong I'd like to know who you see as suitors. We went through a similar discussion with Bud. People talked huge money and plenty of interest but never discussed the limiting factors.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree broke down physically. He hasn't been the same since that torn ACL ended his final season as a Steeler.

Sutton plays a more difficult position to fill, but Highsmith is the better player.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That ignores that we haven't seen a healthy Dupree without Watt on the other side. Also, look at what happened to the defense late in 2020. Highsmith wasn't ready to take on that role when Dupree blew out his knee, so it was very easy for teams to load up on Watt and the pass rush suffered.

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In other words.... Steelers = Pirates

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't go that far. Football has far more significant revenue sharing. A larger percentage of the league's revenues come from national television contracts. Attendance is a more significant factor in baseball, which is more regional.

More importantly, the Rooney family would at least try. Bob Nutting doesn't care about building a winner. He just cares about conning enough people into believing he will try that so they keep buying tickets.