1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ain't it funny

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Oct 1, 2019.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Now that we have a true safety back there. How much better the defense looks.

I know its cincy but 8 sacks against anyone is no joke. Mincah is the kid we should have traded up for but thrilled to have him

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    as long as our offense does its job i see a pretty good defense. This defense paired with the 2017 team and we couldve beaten the jags, lost to pats of course.

if we can beat Ravens i like our chances at a 10 win season

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Seems like the only way the defense is affective is when they get pressure. Because when they didn't Cincy had recievers wide the hell open

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It was great to see pressure with only 4 down linemen rushing, and that made the secondary look much better because we had lb's taking away the underneath stuff. But unfortunately all that glitters is not gold. Don't book your tickets for the playoffs just yet. This was the Bungles. They will make other teams look better than they really are before the season is out. The Pats defense wouldn't have surrendered 3 points to them and likely scored a couple times. (and yes, I'm well aware that the field goal was off a turnover)

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    been that way for the last couple years

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Let's revisit this after we play Baltimore. Playing Cincy made almost every part of our team look good.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Wow, you came back strong after that crazy post comparing MR to Flacco.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And people were complaining about giving up a first round pick to Miami, free safety was the biggest need on defense and they filled it with a good player.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Other than week 1 our defense has been pretty solid.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah he was back so far, he was off the tv screen!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I love the trade no matter what but it looks even better after last night.

I know the people who don't like the trade will be the slowest to come around on Mason but you can clearly tell this kid has it. Thats based on his college tape, his progress from year 1 to year 2 in preseason and his games in the pros so far.

Lot of poise, smart throws and accurate.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Free Safety was not just a need for the Defense. Having someone like Minkah is going to greatly benefit Terrell Edmunds moving forward as he has yet to tap into his full potential. Some of that began to manifest yesterday as Terrell was used as an overhang zone defender against Tyler Eifert with Mark Barron in man coverage.

A true, Single High Free Safety is now arguably the most important position in the backend. Yes, corners like Jalen Ramsey, Marshon Lattimore and even Joe Haden will always have value. However, the game has changed so much so that you need a secondary player to be employed and deployed anywhere and everywhere but most importantly, one that can not only take away the deep threat via the sidelines but also play between the numbers in the middle of the field.

Minkah provides that in spades. There is a reason why many (myself included) viewed Minkah as a Top 5 Propsect; Derwin James being the other for me. He is Malcolm Jenkins 2.0 without a doubt. In my opinion, he can be more than just "Malcolm Jenkins 2.0" for a see perennial All Pro Potential.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure thing!!

I will take you up on that for certain. Given the fact that Lamar Jackson has already went up against Minkah once, let us see how Lamar fares when Minkah is paired with some legit players on a Defense that is on the rise. For that matter, while I doubt Minkah has any sort or form of self serving agenda, this will be a "Redemption Sunday" for him. :thumbs_up:

Better yet?! I have a much better title name for this game. The title is "Tales of Minkah: The Miracle Worker".

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Did they play Fitzpatrick differently against the Bengals ? Last weeks game his name was being called for plays, I hardly noticed him against the Bengals. Or maybe everyone else was doing what, they needed to do and Fitzpatrick was keep it all in front of him ?

15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Bengals did look bad last night, but they were one missed FG away from beating the Seahawks and had the lead against the Bills with 5 minutes to go

16. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I noticed the same thing saw him come down to assist a few times but other than that didn t see much of him.

That might mean they stayed away from him or having a free safety make a ton of tackles usually means they are running free in the second or third level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    I was so hoping he'd get a pick.

This week definitely.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not hearing the safety's name called during the game is usually a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm hoping his presence is related to the D Line going off.

20. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    It does look like we have some speed and power for the first time in years but you all know dam well when we play elite offenses we are gonna get torched cause of our coaching.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    So doesn't that mean our defense didn't give up any points either if their only score was off a turnover in our own end?

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have a running qb this week which will make it tough on the defense. They won't have a statue standing in the pocket this week. Downfield coverage will have to stick on their man and the lbers will have to chase him down and make him throw bad passes. we need to try to keep him in the pocket.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm predicting three picks as a result of pressure on Jackson.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We may not have seen him on screen much, but we saw the effect of him being out there on many of the occasions where Dalton dropped back, looked downfield and then had to either check down or eat the ball.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    All 22 Tape has something to say about Minkah for certain. Since he has gotten here, Pittsburgh has not allowed a pass play of over 40 yards. He has also allowed the corners to force Receivers to the inside of the numbers. Should any Quarterback elect to go that route, Minkah is waitint right there for him.

This in turn, allows the pass rush to get home. For that matter, it also allows the most important aspect of any defense. Players can now be placed in winning situations.... so long as Keith Butler allows it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  26. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think we have some work to do over the middle of the defense which baffles me when we are drafting guys for this very purpose. Don't get me wrong, I like that we seem to be making strides, I'm just perplexed that this is still an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1